Cedar Point Trip Advice

BeastForever

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could? It COULD be absolutely packed.

Will be? It depends...but it will probably be busy. July is the busy season. Even weekdays...certainly not like Saturdays, but still busier than Kings Island, for example, would be. And at CP, weather is far less a factor than at Kings Island. As a destination park in a resort area, few visitors cancel trips due to weather. Now, that being said, if it starts out nice, then gets bad, many visitors will go back to their hotels for the day, and you can get significant riding in in a very empty park later that day...if it clears up.

About 15 minutes before the end of ERT, go to a ride like TTD and wait the 15 minutes! You will find it is well worth it! And if there is downtime while you are in line for Maverick, it is usually short, so be patient! Don't miss Skyhawk, a trip up the Space Spiral, or the launch side of Power Tower. Calypso is a somewhat unique ride that I always enjoy as well. And their Dodge'Ems are pretty good too.

I will be visiting there for about my 4th or 5th time up there, but my 11th or 12th time in the park next week. For a person never having been to Cedar Point I will lay out my must rides and can if you want to rides.

MUST RIDES:These are the rides that you do not want to miss, no matter how long the lines may be.

Magnum XL-200- This ride may not seem like much compared to the likes of a Millennium Force or a Top Thrill Dragster but believe me, it is. After 21 years this coaster still packs a punch full of speed and airtime. The lap bars do not clamp down on you very hard at all thus resulting in increased air time (If you have ever ridden Adventure Express at Kings Island then the lapbars are the same on Magnum as they are on Adventure Express). Magnum is definitely a must ride no matter how long the wait may be, it usually doesn't get quite that long.

Millennium Force- I cannot say enough about this ride. The first time I rode it it took my breath away in amazement. The lift hill is quite fast and if you sit on the left side of the car you get a good, unobstructed view of the ground as you travel up, up, and over the top. The drop is amazing and the overbanks offer a feeling unlike any other coaster because your not quite upside down but you are quite close. The down side to this ride is that the lines for it can sometimes get rather lengthy.

Top Thrill Dragster- 0-120 MPH in about 4 seconds, 420 feet of sheer twisting vertical droppage, need I say more. This coaster is a must ride on any trip to Cedar Point due to it's mass amount of bada** speed and the daunting height of the drop. If you are scared of heights you can still ride this coaster because you are only up at the top for about 2 seconds if that and you don't really quite notice how high you are. The launch is very forceful and is something every coaster lover should experience. Lines for this have not been too terribly bad when I have been up there the past couple of times, but I consider myself lucky in that case.

Maverick- Though this coaster may look small and not having any of the big drops or high speeds of any of the other coasters, Maverick is one intense out of control bucking bronco. Riding this coaster in the front seat will give you one of the most unique ride experiences found anywhere. The whole entire ride is side to side, head over heels, and full of airtime over the camel back hills. Lines for this ride can get very very long, but make sure you ride it.

Raptor- What good is a trip to Cedar Point without kicking that good ole' Sandusky sky? Raptor is the big green inverted behemoth that stands on your left as you come in the main gate and walk down the midway. The drop looks like it is not the biggest but it packs quite a punch and gets your ride off with a bang very fast. Not to mention this was the first ride to incorporate a Cobra Roll. Seeing as the bird of prey is right off the midway the lines can get very long for this ride.

Wicked Twister- The last of the must rides in my opinion is Wicked Twister. It's not everyday you get to be launched at 72 mph forwards and backward on an inverted coaster. This ride is located right along the shores of Lake Erie so you also get a great view as well as a very intense and fun ride. Lines for Wicked Twister never get too long, to my knowledge and experience that is.

CAN RIDES:These are the rides that are worth waiting about up to 15 minutes for at the most.

Mantis- If you have rode one stand up coaster you have rode them all. This one is no different other than the twisted finale at the end that can be extra strenuous on the knees.

Power Tower- The launch side is the best side of the ride, even though in my opinion after the first launch the ride is really over due to the dull and boring little launches to slow the ride down.

Skyhawk- This ride should really be called a must ride. You have a restraint that makes you feel very vulnerable and get the feeling of literally falling out of your seat. I fell in love with this ride the first time I rode it and I have to ride it every time I go to Cedar Point.

Gemini- One of the best racing coasters ever. The drop will take your breath away the first time you ride it. You literally stay side by side up until the ending helix of both sides. The middle part of the ride can get boring sometimes but the drop makes this coaster worth riding.

Maxair- Maxair and Delirium go hand in hand, some like one better than the other but to me they are the same, so if you want your Kings Island fix then hit this ride up as an added bonus.

I hope this helps you and I am sure you will have a great time at the park. Make sure you ride all of the collection of coasters Cedar Point has to offer as they are all great rides. It's sad though that you have to miss Demon Drop, it was a very cool ride experience in itself. Have fun at the park and don't forget to post a Trip Report.

-Jasper, KIC's #1 Drop Tower Fan-

Thanks! This advice will be VERY helpful. Yeah I was actually looking forward to ride Demon Drop until I first heard it was closed. I will still have lots of fun. When I get back I will be sure to post a full TR with ratings out of 10 points on all the rides I got to ride. About Mantis on the "Can Rides", that ride is actually gonna be on my "Must Ride" list only because I've never been on a Stand-Up coaster before and it sounds like very unique ride experience. That's just my opinion. Thanks again for the Trip Advice!smile.gif

^^yet you leave out mean streak, don't let what everyone else says get in your way, although it has a "bad wrap" like Son of Beast for being rough, you should try it and decide for yourself, make your own opinions for the roller coasters that Cedar Point, and other amusement parks, has to offer.

being at the park for two days, you should be able to get in at least 16 of the 17 roller coasters, excluding jr. gemini for it's "must accompany a child" rule like the great pumpkin coaster at Kings Island. you should also be able to get in many flats, and don't worry, if you're in line for a ride and it breaks down, it usually doesn't take long for it to get back up, unless it's something very major.

also, don't miss out on rides on the paddlewheel excursions and Cedar Point and lake erie railroad, both provide great views of the park and are great ways to relax and take a break, plus both the paddleboat and the train have great theming.

Get Millennium Force and Maverick out of the way during ERT. An hour will give you enough time to get your fill with multiple rides on each. I recommend skipping past Raptor until later in the day since it can get less crowded then. Right before the gates open to the general public, head towards Top Thrill Dragster to beat them. After you've handled those three, the park will be open. At this point, the general public will be getting their fill of the rides near the front of the park. At this time, ride all the rides in Frontier Town. Over the course of the day, work your way to the front of the park. As you do, the general public will work their way towards the back. You may get some long lines around lunch, but eat around that time.

Later in the evening the park can be far less crowded than before. This is where you can get your full price of your admission in. Major attractions will have 20 minute waits, smaller ones will be almost walk ons.

Like Terpy said, July is a very crowded time, but better weekdays than weekends. Weather won't make a huge difference on crowds.

I recommend skipping Soak City. It isn't worth the separate admission. With the exception of a Wave Pool, like 4 slides, and 2 lazy rivers, there's nothing but hot pavement.

Yeah I was actually looking forward to ride Demon Drop until I first heard it was closed.

Closed? It's much more than closed....

laugh.gif

Well yeah I know that, they're not gonna even have the ride anymore. They're relocating it to Knott's Berry Farm. I knew that...wink.gif

Yeah I was actually looking forward to ride Demon Drop until I first heard it was closed.

laugh.gif

Well yeah I know that, they're not gonna even have the ride anymore. They're relocating it to Knott's Berry Farm. I knew that...wink.gif

Actually, Demon Drop- though rumored to make its way to KBF (and later Michigan's Adventure)- was sent to Dorney Park, where it is currently awaiting completion of testing.

laugh.gif

Actually, Demon Drop- though rumored to make its way to KBF (and later Michigan's Adventure)- was sent to Dorney Park, where it is currently awaiting completion of testing.

Oh..... I need get my facts straight more oftenrolleyes.gif . Anyway, why did Cedar Fair relocate Demon Drop?

^^yet you leave out mean streak, don't let what everyone else says get in your way, although it has a "bad wrap" like Son of Beast for being rough, you should try it and decide for yourself, make your own opinions for the roller coasters that Cedar Point, and other amusement parks, has to offer.

I have rode Mean Streak, countless number of times, and I still left the ride of because in my opinion there is no fun factor at all. The first drop is drastically slowed by trims, there are no airtime hills, and it lacks that one major element to make it a must ride for me. I guess what keeps drawing me back to it is the awe inspiring structure and the fact that once upon a blue moon it was king of wooden coaster, filling up the entire queue line and making America's Greatest Roller Coaster Thrill VHS.

laugh.gif

Oh..... I need get my facts straight more oftenrolleyes.gif . Anyway, why did Cedar Fair relocate Demon Drop?

It's a secret :o

Rumors of a wooden coaster in the area extending into the employee parking lot out to the beach seem to be really popular considering Cedar Fair's liking for GCI. Many believe this to be a fact, but many believe it to be a false hope.

Some say that it will be a compact Intamin coaster, like a Zac Spin. Many doubt this, because Cedar Point is very strict about capacity.

Others have suggested a new, unique, one-of-a-kind flat ride.

I think that the odds of it being a coaster are pretty likely. Kinzel has said that Cedar Point will get most of Cedar Fair's financial investments within the next few years, and he has also said that he plans on keeping Cedar Point the park with the most roller coasters. With that being said, Cedar Fair seems to really be keeping it a secret. Whatever it is, they've been planning it for a long time. Demon Drop's been for sale for a long time, and if I'm correct, it was for sale before Maverick opened. That would make sense, since Maverick was planned before Top Thrill Dragster opened.

There's more going on at Cedar Point than people think. I think there's another topic for this, and there's a lot more information in it than I have said here.

the fact that once upon a blue moon it was king of wooden coaster, filling up the entire queue line and making America's Greatest Roller Coaster Thrill VHS.

I remember that Mean Streak... liked it, to the point I was sad when I first read about Son of Beast gonna take the glory away :P