Fathers Day at CP

KIfan1980

Since I've been talking about going back to Cedar Point (for the first time since ~2002), my wife decided to make a reservation at Breakers Hotel for Fathers Day. We drove up Sunday morning, spent some time at the Beach in the afternoon, before I got my "present" (starlight ticket for me while wife and the kids had dinner/went to bed). This gave me an opportunity to ride the big coasters before we had a family day at the park on Monday.

Some quick details and thoughts:

• Park was empty on Sunday night - In 5 hours at the park, I got 15 rides: Dragster (a blast but not a favorite for me), Power Tower (Shooting up is the best IMO), Wicked Twister (fun), Disaster Transport (credit added, no need to repeat), maXair (I preferred over Delirium), Blue Streak (classic), Raptor (still good, but has dropped out of my top 5 steel), Mantis (I still enjoy standups), Millennium Force (how can people say this is forceless?), Mean Streak (I love wooden coasters - enjoyed SoB last year, but this is a never again ride), CCMR (ok), Skyhawk (loved it), Gemini (better than I remember), Magnum (yeah for ejector air), and Maverick (awesome ride, not a fan of the restraints)
  • Park is awesome - it has some of the most thrilling coasters and extreme flats around
  • I especially like that they have a ton of "family" flats that are fun without being extreme - Calypso, Tilt-a-Whirl, Matterhorn, Super Himalaya, Tiques, Troika, Skyride, Paddlewheel Excursions, etc.... I wish Kings Island had a few more of theirs from the past (Tiques, Bayern Kurve, Eagles immediately come to mind)
  • What I think is missing from CP is a ride-able large wooden coaster (maybe coming soon?) and more interesting rides in the family coaster category - I'm not sure I'd miss Iron Dragon, Corkscrew, CCMR, or Disaster Transport
  • It was fun riding with my 6 year old as he broke 200', although it is a little scary that he had no fear and kept his hands up the whole way - can you say apples/trees or chips/blocks?

A couple of my iPhone pics

IMG_0269.jpg

Nice view of MF through the trees.

IMG_0271.jpg

This structure looks awesome at night.

IMG_0272.jpg

I love the way MF carries its speed back past the station.

IMG_0274.jpg

Another barrier is broken

Edit - not sure why two pics are turned. I'll try and fix tomorrow.

Great Trip Report, and good to see you had fun! I agree with you on a lot of points, though I think they're pretty well set on Family coasters. Did you ride Wildcat?

Also great to see you had a good time with your son. The time between you and him is far more important then the time between you and coaster. Congrats to him on his first hyper, too!

All - thanks for the comments, I appreciate you reading.

Jackson - yes I rode Wildcat. Fun ride. I also rode Jr. Gemini (where I think I out-aged all the other riders combined) and Woodstock Express to fill out my CP credits.

Fanatic - looks like I need to get my SON a haircut and some bigger muscles.

Great trip report Keith and I am glad you had such a great fathers day at Cedar Point. I can not think of a better coaster buddy than your own children and I am glad you got to experience that on Fathers day no less.

Thank you for the Trip Report. It is always nice to see a TR where the family really comes into play and has a major role. I will be at the Point on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday so I am hoping for a great time like you had.