VERRRRY Short Trip 6/24/10

Kirk Sheppard

I happened to be about 10 minutes from the park around 8:30 PM so I thought I'd swing by to see the Starlight Spectacle and the fireworks. I enjoyed the lights very much but wish there was more options for seating in that area. I realize most people wouldn't sit and watch for long, but I sure would. As it was, I sat underneath the Eiffel Tower (and am pretty sure I got spit on) and therefore was unable to see the tower real well. I did enjoy it.

The fireworks, though, were boring. I guess I'm spoiled having seen Disney's Wishes so many times, but I thought there might be music and stuff that the fireworks would be choreographed with. From my seat next to the stage facing the Tower (literally next to the stage for Don't Stop the Music), I couldn't even see them so I headed towards the park exit and heard music playing there but couldn't see that the fireworks were timed to correspond. Did I miss something? Or are my expectations to high, given my unabashed Disney Fanboy status?

Thinking about going back in the AM but not sure . . .

Kings Island is a seasonal park. To my knowledge, it is the last and only seasonal US park that even has fireworks almost every night the park is open (every night the park is open until 10). Your expectations are too high for a seasonal park, since you asked. Great Adventure, for instance, has fireworks on about five summer Saturdays...only. And they are hoping that Al Weber does not end that...they call it Saturday Night Lights...it is a far more elaborate show than is Kings Island's, but it also only about five nights...a season.

A seasonal park is just that... its open in accordance to the seasons of the year. KI, CP, WoF, etc etc etc are all seasonal parks because they close for part of the year, during the winter. On the other side of the spectrum, Disney parks are Destination Parks that stay open year round, due to the weather during the winter months being much more conducive to outdoor enjoyment. I would also assume Busch Gardens Tampa is also open year round, but am not positive.

• Like 1