Jackson tries out a New Camera

Beast1979

For my birthday in April, I got a new Nikon 5000 digital camera. I had every intention of trying it out at Kings Island, however, for a few months I never found the right day to take it with me. However, yesterday I finally got the opportunity to lug it to KI. I only rode the Train and the Tower, and I only stayed for 2 hours, however, I thought I'd post a report because I want to see what you think of my photography with a real camera, not a point-and-shoot.

DSC_0575.JPG

Pulling up Kings Island Drive, I played with the Telephoto 200mm lens add on.

DSC_0576.JPG

Not really the best photos considering I was in a moving car. :P

DSC_0581.JPG

Diamondback Dominates the KI skyline, shadowing Woodstock and Flying Ace.

DSC_0582.JPG

Kings Island's entrance is just so easy to photograph.

DSC_0583.JPG

Someone here said that they thought the Eiffel Tower would look like it's in jail with the Flags there. I kinda like the look of it.

DSC_0584.JPG

Reminds me of a postcard.

DSC_0585.JPG

OK, enough I-Street eye candy.

DSC_0590.JPG

From one tower to the next, it's Drop Tower!

DSC_0594.JPG

Shh....don't mention that piece of wood in the corner of the park....just ignore it!

DSC_0595.JPG

I'm still getting used to boxless here.

DSC_0604.JPG

The 90+ degree swinging at the end of Flight Deck

DSC_0613.JPG

Drop Tower and Skyflyer from below.

DSC_0614.JPG

Through the trees!

DSC_0616.JPG

Anyone else notice that the sound Delirium makes right before it starts sounds very much like the sound Intamin drop rides like Power Tower and Liberty Launch make?

DSC_0617.JPG

I love the zoom.

DSC_0623.JPG

Another Postcard shot.

DSC_0625.JPG

The Geese are back!!! w00t w00t!

DSC_0626.JPG

This camera is so great, you can see all the individual droplets on the fountain.

DSC_0629.JPG

That darn Eiffel Tower just sneaks it's way into all my pictures!

DSC_0630.JPG

A couple of people here have noticed the increased landscaping around the park....I like it.

DSC_0638.JPG

You wanna talk about making something out of nothing? Try making a good picture out of Outer Hank's exterior!

DSC_0639.JPG

More flags, more fun, Six Flag's Coney Mall!

DSC_0642.JPG

"This Restful and relaxing spot was designed specifically for our smoking guests." Interpret that any way you like.

DSC_0644.JPG

Designed specifically for our smoking guests....does Kings Island hate smokers? Is Tower Gardens sponsored by the American Lung Association?

DSC_0648.JPG

Diamondback is hawt. :wub:

DSC_0650.JPG

I love the split second as you're going up the tower where you can see what the park would be like at the 50 foot observation tower....if only.

DSC_0651.JPG

I think this photo is the most over used photo in the park.

DSC_0656.JPG

This comes in a close second.

DSC_0659.JPG

Third!

DSC_0658.JPG

The Antiques would have been so much better to photograph.

DSC_0660.JPG

This turned out well.

DSC_0661.JPG

If this were Facebook I'd hit "like"

DSC_0677.JPG

Time to use the bigger lens. If you look closely you can see a red trash can blocking the entrance. Vekoma having some issues?

DSC_0679.JPG

I wish the front actually worked.

DSC_0682.JPG

Hello Flight Deck!

DSC_0690.JPG

That fire does NOT feel good on a hot day.

DSC_0694.JPG

This, however, DOES!

DSC_0696.JPG

Anyone else notice how the radius of the helix is constantly getting smaller as the track goes upward, so it can maintain it's speed for a bit longer? Maybe I'm just weird. :ph34r:

DSC_0701.JPG

I love the beauty of John Allen's wooden rides. Racer would look so lovely if they replaced the brown with, say, blue, and made the handrails red.

DSC_0702.JPG

Arrows also look very good. I wish they rode like Racer though.

DSC_0708.JPG

Diamondback's gorgeous airtime hills, unfortunately, blocked by the lift.

DSC_0712.JPG

The remodeled Planet Snoopy Entrance. Notice the poles are flags with Peanuts characters.

DSC_0713.JPG

Also take note of the big comic signs by Flying Ace. Is Cedar Fair going for an Islands of Adventure, Toon Landing type theming for PS?

DSC_0718.JPG

Blue Looks Good on you, Scooby / Beasite / Fairly!

DSC_0727.JPG

I see you, Diamondback!

DSC_0729.JPG

The Living Liberty Bell is back!

DSC_0735.JPG

I'm loving these postcard shots.

DSC_0742.JPG

See all the new Landscaping? Good job Kings Island!

DSC_0743.JPG

Random by day, epic by night.

DSC_0745.JPG

(Clock + Flowers) x B&M Hyper = Awesome.

More in a second...

DSC_0747.JPG

(Peanuts + America) x B&M Hyper = Awesome^patriotic.

DSC_0762.JPG

Who here remembers RWCW 2009, where they showed us Diamondback's POV and the entire room went "Splooosh!" at the splashdown?

DSC_0765.JPG

I love Burst Mode, 4 shots a second means you get the train right where you want it.

DSC_0773.JPG

Roller Coaster with trees, or trees with a roller coaster?

DSC_0778.JPG

The longest wooden roller coaster on earth for 31 years, it's Beast!

DSC_0785.JPG

Enjoy you're 4 minute 50 second ride on The Beast.

DSC_0788.JPG

Beast leaves civilization and ravages the rugged Ohio woods.

DSC_0781.JPG

Vortex is broke. :(

DSC_0796.JPG

This would have been better with a train on it.

DSC_0805.JPG

Need words be said? Too late, they just were said.

DSC_0806.JPG

Wait for it....

DSC_0810.JPG

.....Ha ha!

DSC_0821.JPG

Curved drop.

DSC_0825.JPG

*cue Woody doll* "Reach for the sky!"

DSC_0849.JPG

My dad told me to try and get a look at the reactions of people on the ride. Here you go, daddy!

DSC_0852.JPG

DSC_0857.JPG

DSC_0865.JPG

DSC_0867.JPG

DSC_0868.JPG

Let's ride the train while we're here.

DSC_0878.JPG

I wonder how Bert the Conquerer would have reacted to this drop. He'd hit a decibel I couldn't reach, that's for sure.

DSC_0887.JPG

Hawt.

DSC_0893.JPG

Say "Hi!" to the other train! Yes, that means you, person sitting at their computer reading this.

DSC_0903.JPG

Imagine all you could do theming wise with this space.

DSC_0912.JPG

It's sad what still remains.

DSC_0916.JPG

Has anyone actually looked at the sign? W.E. Shippet & U.Storum? lol.

DSC_0922.JPG

Through the trees!

DSC_0924.JPG

By this time it was high time I left so I took a few quick snaps on my way out.

DSC_0926.JPG

This same photo is framed, hanging in the Trading Post, on sale for $400. Really?

DSC_0931.JPG

Have a Great Day!

DSC_0933.JPG

Me standing there: "Let's see if we can squeezzee Diamondback in there....perfect."

DSC_0935.JPG

The wallpaper has been fixed.

DSC_0937.JPG

The park's oldest drinking fountain, circa 1972. I took a drink from it today, it tasted metallic.

DSC_0942.JPG

Goodbye Kings Island!

Thanks for reading my PTR! Remember this was my first time with a real camera so I'd love to hear what you thought of the shots! Thanks again! :)

Wow, it's alot better than your old camera! It's lens must be pretty big because on some photos (like the very last photo)features almost all of the skyline, when I take that similar photo, only Diamondback, Eiffel, and some of Invertigo would show up most likely! The only thing I noticed weird about some of the photos is that they look too sharp. Mitchell has a Nikon (I have a Canon♥) and his camera takes too sharp of photos. I'm sure there is a way to change that though. I look forward to seeing more photos from you!

So what lenses do you have? Did you get the kit 18-55 and then buy an extra 55-200 or go for the all in one 18-200? I have the D3000 and I have the first choice of lenses I mentioned and whatever I take it to KI I find myself always wanting to change the lens but after a while I get tired of doing so.

Great pictures by the way!

Wow, it's alot better than your old camera! It's lens must be pretty big because on some photos (like the very last photo)features almost all of the skyline, when I take that similar photo, only Diamondback, Eiffel, and some of Invertigo would show up most likely! The only thing I noticed weird about some of the photos is that they look too sharp. Mitchell has a Nikon (I have a Canon♥) and his camera takes too sharp of photos. I'm sure there is a way to change that though. I look forward to seeing more photos from you!

Thanks! My biggest lens is 200mm, so it's pretty big. I understand what you mean about being "Too Sharp", it looks almost unrealistic. I'll work on it.

As someone old enough to not be able to think of Nikon cameras and taking photographs without Kodachrome....I love your pictures and your captions...fantastic they are...

Thanks terp, and LOL Kodachrome.

I WANT you (r camera). wink.gif

LOL thanks.

Love this new camera! I wish I had your talent! :) Hope to see you at the park soon!

Thanks, you can have it for 1000 dollars. :P I hope to see you too.

Great Work!

It's nice to see the park still improving this far into the season!

Thanks! Keeping the park together is something they work at all season, I'm especially surprised that Planet Snoopy is still being worked on and it's June!

they really should do things with this ( sorry dont know how to quote just a few things)

You use quotes by typing at the end and

at the beginning of what's being quoted.

So what lenses do you have? Did you get the kit 18-55 and then buy an extra 55-200 or go for the all in one 18-200? I have the D3000 and I have the first choice of lenses I mentioned and whatever I take it to KI I find myself always wanting to change the lens but after a while I get tired of doing so.

Great pictures by the way!

I got the 18-55mm with the 55-200mm add on. I get tired of changing lenses too, but I put up with it. And thanks!

Greta pics!!

By the way... IS the conductor waving at you in that pic where DB is flying over the train. Just curious?

Yeah, he always waves. Thanks!

Great pictures! Although some look like extreme "crisp"... I hope that made some sense to you and not only to me...

Thanks! I get it, too sharp.

Very interesting contrast. A grassy field and a gravel pit. tongue.gif

VERY good photographs, if I must say so myself.

I know, it shouldn't be that way :lol:

Thanks!

Awesome pics. The park looks great.

Thanks.

amazing pics. jealousyyy!biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Great Pics.

You have now found the conundrum of taking pics with a nice camera or riding. The two don't mix.

Thanks Dave. I'm still kicking myself that I didn't take my camera to Holiwood Nights, since my mom was there to hold it. Oh well.

Great pictures!

Thank you!

(Only in today's world would a little girl's question be posted worldwide...only to be answered by her Daddy! She knows every coaster on the planet and didn't recognize that view! That's precious!)

LOL!

Guest rcfreak339

Great pictures! Although some look like extreme "crisp"... I hope that made some sense to you and not only to me...

I was just thinking this...Your pictures were great Jackson but some did seem to "crisp". How you can solve this I don't know...Does your camera have a sharpness setting?