Coasting for Kids is coming to Kings Island July 29th

DaveStroem

Details here

I participated in Coasting for Kids in 2009 at Cedar Point. We marathoned one side of Gemini for over 8 hours and had a blast doing it. This year Cedar Fair and Give Kids the World have expanded the event to include all 11 of their amusement parks.

The registration is $50 per person and includes admission to the park. Participants can set up a fund raising web page and encourage others to pledge additional funds. The details are still a little light as to which coasters we will be marathoning, but my guess at KI would be Racer since they can close one side of the ride for the event and keep the other side open for the public.

So what is Give Kids the World anyways? Give Kids the World Village is a 70-acre resort complete with over 140 Villa accommodations, entertainment attractions, whimsical venues, and fun specifically designed for children with special needs. Organizations like Make-A-Wish send their wish kids here as they are set up to handle the needs of these families and allow them to concentrate on having fun and making memories.

As fans of amusement parks, what better charity could there be for us to get behind. The fact that we get to ride coasters is just a bonus.

There Mission is

Give Kids The World is a non-profit organization that exists only to fulfill the wishes of all children with life-threatening illnesses and their families from around the world to experience a memorable, joyful, cost-free visit to the Central Florida attractions, and to enjoy the magic of Give Kids The World Village for as long as there is a need.

100,000 children have had their dream come true at Give Kids The World. No child in need has ever been turned away – and no child ever will. Give Kids The World is a place where families find joy, laughter, serenity, and a lifetime of memories. Through the tireless support of our volunteers, employees and generous partners, we dedicate each and every day to these special families.

As I get more details I will post them

This is not an endurance test. You can ride as much as you want during the day. Last year on Gemini, I rode 88 laps while some rode for all 129. They provided breakfast and lunch for us too.

Please remember this is about raising funds for a a charity.

Nope, not at all. It started last year with Jeff from CoasterBuzz working on a lot of the details, but like last year, everyone is welcome to register. We had about 30 people last year (would have been more, but it was held after school started) and raised over $10,000 for Give Kids the World, I would love to see the total event raise over $100,000 this year.

"Cedar Fair's best loved theme parks are "Coasting For Kids" on July 29, 2010. Participants can register to ride The Racer marathon or participate i..."

I couldn't get it to show me the rest of the text, but yeah, looks like it's gonna be Racer.

Cedar Fair IS "COASTING FOR KIDS"

Theme parks nationwide to host coaster marathon to benefit Give Kids The World

SANDUSKY, Ohio – The thrill of a roller coaster ride will have a whole lot more meaning on Thursday, July 29 when Cedar Fair Entertainment Company's (NYSE: FUN) eleven amusement parks host "Coasting For Kids 2010" to raise money for Give Kids The World Village, the nonprofit organization that provides weeklong vacations to children with life-threatening illnesses and their families.

The fun-filled event is a company-wide effort. Park fans and coaster enthusiasts alike will enjoy a day filled with riding the coolest roller coasters at their favorite park over and over again. Featured rides include Gemini at Cedar Point, Shivering Timbers at Michigan's Adventure, Jaguar at Knott's Berry Farm and The Racer at Kings Island, with rides at the other seven parks to be announced soon. All participants are encouraged to raise at least $50 for Give Kids The World to take part – with prizes going to the top three fundraisers at each park.

All participants will receive complimentary admission to the park of their choice, a "Coasting For Kids" t-shirt and unlimited rides on the event's featured attraction. Each participating park will also offer additional event perks unique to their location.

"Cedar Fair has been proud to partner with Give Kids The World for many years," said Lee Ann Alexakos, Vice President Marketing and Advertising, Cedar Fair Entertainment Company. "'Coasting For Kids' is the perfect way for our guests to enjoy our parks – and help children with life-threatening illnesses."

"We are so excited to work with Cedar Fair," echoed Give Kids The World President, Pamela Landwirth. "We had such fun at the inaugural event at Cedar Point last year, and are looking forward to this nationwide coaster marathon at all eleven locations this year. This tremendous support for Give Kids The World will help us continue to make dreams come true for children who need it most."

"Coasting For Kids" will take place at Cedar Point, OH; Kings Island, OH; Canada's Wonderland, Ontario, Canada; Dorney Park, PA; Valleyfair, MN; Michigan's Adventure, MI; Kings Dominion, VA; Carowinds, NC; Worlds of Fun, MO; Knott's Berry Farm CA; and California's Great America, CA. Anyone who is interested in participating can go to www.firstgiving.com/gktw, click "register for an event" and pick the park they wish to attend and take part at. All participants must raise at least $50 by Wednesday, July 28 to take part in the event on July 29. Space at each park is limited. To learn more, interested participants can call Give Kids The World at 407.396.1114 ext. 4504 or email dream@gktw.org or log on to www.gktw.org.

#####

Cedar Fair Entertainment Company

Cedar Fair Entertainment Company (NYSE: "FUN") is a publicly traded partnership headquartered in Sandusky, Ohio. The Company, which owns and operates 11 amusement parks, six outdoor water parks, one indoor water park and five hotels, is one of the largest regional amusement park operators in the world. Its parks are located in Ohio, California, North Carolina, Virginia / District of Columbia, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Missouri, Michigan, and Toronto, Ontario. Cedar Fair also operates the Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in Gilroy, California under a management contract. Cedar Fair's flagship park, Cedar Point, has been consistently voted the "Best Amusement Park in the World" in a prestigious annual poll conducted by Amusement Today newspaper.

Give Kids The World

Give Kids The World Village (GKTW) is a 70-acre, nonprofit resort in Central Florida that creates magical memories for children with life-threatening illnesses and their families. GKTW provides accommodations at its whimsical resort, donated attractions tickets, meals and more for a weeklong, cost-free fantasy vacation. With the help of many generous individuals, corporations and partnering wish-granting organizations, Give Kids The World has welcomed more than 101,000 families from all 50 states and 72 countries. ...

http://www.cedarfair...eases/index.cfm

I have a few questions about your experience at the 2009 event:

1. Was ride time similar to ERT and ride nights? That is participants exit the ride after one lap and renter the line? Or could people reride without leaving their seats?

2. Did you see any participants who took a break for awhile maybe to catch a show or talk a walk?

3. How does the free admission ticket work? Will it be issued in my name for that day only or for anyone on any operating day?

If you go to Give Kids the World.com and go to Current events...here I will just post the link. Coasting for Kids You will see that at 6:30 park opens for event participants. 7 to 5pm coaster event takes place. 11am lunch provided. So after it you can still enjoy the park!

Michigans Great Adventure, they get to do it on two rides

Thunder Hawk, and Shivering Timbers...

If you go to Give Kids the World.com and go to Current events...here I will just post the link. Coasting for Kids You will see that at 6:30 park opens for event participants. 7 to 5pm coaster event takes place. 11am lunch provided. So after it you can still enjoy the park!

Michigans Great Adventure, they get to do it on two rides

Thunder Hawk, and Shivering Timbers...

Michigan's WHAT?

:)