Sea World Orlando Trip

Hey everyone!

Our family will be taking a trip to Sea World Orlando sometime in the next month. This is our first trip to Sea World in nearly a decade. We're planning on spending one day at the park, buying our tickets online, and riding all the thrill rides while still seeing all of the other sights. Hopefully we'll be going on a weekday, late in July.

Are there are any tips or advice to give out on places to eat, what to see, what to ride, etc? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Expect a PTR when we come back! Thanks everyone! :)

Hey everyone!

Our family will be taking a trip to Sea World Orlando sometime in the next month. This is our first trip to Sea World in nearly a decade. We're planning on spending one day at the park, buying our tickets online, and riding all the thrill rides while still seeing all of the other sights. Hopefully we'll be going on a weekday, late in July.

Are there are any tips or advice to give out on places to eat, what to see, what to ride, etc? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Expect a PTR when we come back! Thanks everyone! smile.gif

What to ride? That should be a clear easy answer for ya: Manta, Kraken and Journey to Atlantis. Manta will typically have a lengthy line near the beginning of the day, as the entrance is right by the park's entry plaza, however by afternoon the line is usually manageable and typically a walk-on by the late evening hours. Journey to Atlantis isn't a terrible place to start, it always pulls a 60-90 minute wait through the day for obvious reasons so hitting it early would be to your advantage. Kraken almost always has a short line, if not a walk-on. You also have Wild Arctic which is an old school Star Tours-esq simulator. I am personally not a fan of the simulator, but there is an option to skip the ride and go straight to the exhibit....

Shows: Blue Horizons is the dolphin show that is located in Whale & Dolphin Theater....it is a very popular show and the stadium typically fills to capacity easily so plan ahead for this one and get there early. Believe is the signature show at the Park, featuring the killer whales of course. Unless the park is super, super busy, Shamu Stadium is not likely to fill to capacity....typically if a show is going to close there it is one of the two that take place in the middle of the day (usually 1230pm and 2pm). Clyde & Seamore Take Pirate Island is another popular show for the Park, located in the Sealion & Otter Stadium....its one of my favorites actually!

Exhibits: Make sure you spend some time over in Dolphin Cove...its probably my favorite area in the entire park. I can stand there forever just watching the dolphins splash and play around. There are also interaction opportunities available, as you are available to feed them...I believe the cost is around $7 if I remember correctly. There is also an underwater viewing area in Dolphin Cove as well. While you are over in that part of the park, you are right next to the manatee exhibit as well. The Manta Aquarium is NOT to be missed, the entire exhibit really is beautiful....don't miss the octopus inside either and look for the hidden rays that are etched into the rockwork. Of course, you'll also have Penguin Encounter, Shark Encounter and the exhibit in Wild Arctic that features polar bears, walruses and beluga whales.

Food: I enjoy Mango Joe's, which is located over by Arctic and Shamu Stadium, they have some tasty fajitas. Also Voyager's and Spice Mill are both good choices for lunch. Shark's Underwater Grill is the full table service restaurant that is attached to Shark Encounter. Fantastic food, amazing atmosphere as you have a view of the shark exhibit while dining. Its very popular, be sure to make a reservation first thing in the morning if you guys decide to go.

SeaWorld After Dark: Keep in mind that since you are visiting in July, SeaWorld After Dark is still taking place. Two totally different shows take the stage in the form of Sea Lions Tonite and Shamu Rocks.....Sea Lions Tonite is awesome!! It essentially pokes fun at all the other shows within the Park, so definitely a good time. Shamu Rocks is my preference over Believe, as it features a more exciting mix of music and just all around fun versus the more dramatic theme of Believe. Ending the night will be Reflections, the nightly fireworks show.....you can go take a seat at Bayside Stadium for a terriffic view of everything. The show mixes fountains, mist curtains, fireworks and music from around the Park together.

Hope this helps, enjoy your visit!!

- Todd

Believe and Shamu Rocks were both great, Clyde and Seymour's show is hilarious. Also, we watched some show that had acrobatics and lots of wild tropical birds that fly out over the crowd. It was probably the best show we watched there. We ate at a budweiser restaurant if I remember correctly, and it had some really good food. Have a great trip.

Guest Millennium

I greatly advise you not to go. After I went two months ago, I felt so guilty for the rest of my trip. You will feel much better if you skip it. Watch the movie The Cove and you can learn something about how SeaWorld forces their dolphins to do tricks all day and if they refuse they don't get food. The whole place is horrible. I made the mistake, and I don't want you too either.

If you ignore this post, ok, I just hope you will take it into consideration. Anyone who claims they love dolphins and goes there is a hypocrite (I admit, I made the HUGE mistake of going in April) because if you do some research, you will be disgusted on what they do to them. <_<

Guest Millennium

Do you know when next month your going? We leave at the end of next week for Orlando, getting multi day tickets to there and Universal and Aquatica :D

I would suggest the same thing to you.

Though this isn't the point of the topic, in response to Millennium, recall that many of the animals at SeaWorld and other such parks are not able to be released for one or many reasons - many were born in captivity and are not able to find food on their own, or defend themselves from their natural predators. Releasing these animals would lead inevitably to death. And truth be told, even in the "worst case scenario," I would rather do tricks for treats all day than to be caught in fishing nets, choked by pollution, or devoured by predators... Not saying I know a thing about it, because I don't, and they certainly could have better lives. Perhaps this is a topic worth starting in the off-topic section of the board?

As for SeaWorld, it's a beautiful park. Like many of the former Busch Parks, they oppose the trend we've seen in Six Flags, Cedar Fair, and even Disney parks. Somehow, the Busch Parks are getting even better in entertainment, attractions, and food while every other chain on Earth has been quantity over quality for far too long.

When I last visited SeaWorld in January of this year, I was astounded. It's beautiful, the rides are so high quality, and the entertainment is top-notch. Though I'm sure you will, see every show! The Pets Ahoy show (the dog and cat show) is clever and laugh-out-loud funny. The other shows are majestic and awe-some. Even if your kids are uninterested, be sure to hit Kraken, Manta, and Atlantis! All are top-notch rides that are very fun and, perhaps most importantly, appropriate for the park. Most of all, have fun! SeaWorld is just one of those parks that you can't take too seriously or plan too rigidly. Go with the flow, if you will!

Perhaps this is a topic worth starting in the off-topic section of the board?

That's what I was basically trying to say. This is kind of disrespectful to Jackson as he just wanted advice and trip tips. If Millennium wants to discuss this topic I suggest he start a new thread. I'm stuck in bed, so I can debate all day.

Jackson we are planning to do all the Sea World parks when we head down this fall. We have not been in many years and are looking forward to it the most this year especially Discovery Cove so we can swim with the dolphins. I look forward to your photo trip report.

Jackson we are planning to do all the Sea World parks when we head down this fall. We have not been in many years and are looking forward to it the most this year especially Discovery Cove so we can swim with the dolphins. I look forward to your photo trip report.

Jesse, please make sure you let me know when you head down this way! I look forward to seeing you in Discovery Cove!

Millennium, you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that, but you couldn't be more wrong about the treatment of our animals at SeaWorld Orlando. I work for SeaWorld / Discovery Cove and know first hand how they are treated and it is far different than what you described I assure you. This is not the place for that discussion.

Jackson, you will absolutely enjoy yourself! As GYK stated, its about quality within the SEA Parks....in fact its a company cornerstone that we are reminded of each day we go to work.

- Todd

• 2 weeks later...

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Sea World is officially my favorite place in the world. I have been there every year of my life and done absolutely EVERY program, tour they have to offer. Go to shows as early in the day as possible because of the fact, many of them fill up during the day and if you dont get there early you don't get a seat!! My personal favorite is the Shamu show, I have cried every time I've seen it (even after going to every Shamu show in one day). I even have taped versions of every show.

And for the comment with the animals. THE ANIMALS ARE VERY WELL TAKEN CARE OF. Their food is actually resturant quality and sometimes better than what we can actually get. The animals aren't made to perform, they're asked. If they don't want to actually perform at that time, they don't have to. They aren't punished for it.