Shirt and Tie Crew

KIfan1980

Yesterday in line for Vortex I noticed that the entire crew running the ride was wearing shirts and ties - typical supervisor/manager attire. At least one had a gold name tag - can't say as I know exactly what that means (I'm sure there is a code to all the nametag colors though).

It seems like this could be a good thing, keeping those in leadership positions in touch with what the ride ops deal with on a daily basis - the question I have is whether this is a common/normal practice?

As for how they were doing, since somebody might want to know. They had good dispatch times, had the mechanics of the job down well, but seemed to be missing the "energy" in the guest interactions that the normal crews have (example - it felt like the "welcome back, how was your ride" was being read versus asked).

Most likely they had a lot of people call in sick, or not show up for work, therefor the area managers came in and worked the ride. Its not so much of staying in touch, because the majority do come from the rides department as supervisors, but more of a need to have more crew.

I'd not be so sure...I am sure those people on Extreme Skyflier were already trained. The company that makes, sells and leases Skycoasters is very adamant about training.

Indeed. In order to run the ride, one trained "Site Controller" must be there at all times. To become a Site Controller you must pass a test given by SkyCoaster. To train at Skyflyer you must be a site controller. In addition, one ops manager is trained by SkyCoaster to be the "Senior Site Controller."

Personally I was a site controller in 2005, 2006, and 2007. One perk is that as a site controller you can ride any sky coaster world wide for free :). Definitely hit up the 300 footer in Florida several times.