Royal Fountain Spray

KIBOB

I've been wondering, is it just me, or are the outer foam jets (the fountains that shoot straight up) not working in the Royal Fountain?

The past few times that i have visited the park i noticed that only the foam jets on the platforms have been operational.

I too have noticed that the large vertical fountains have not been on. Only the fountains on the pedestals and the circular spray fountains not on the pedestals have been working. I wonder whats wrong. The fountains don`t seem as majestic without them.

One good thing is that I have noticed the fountains that are working are going through a rotation like the fountains used to. It seems like the last few years the fountains were "stagnant" ie, the fountains never changed between the different nozzles. For example, if you notice right now, the vertical nozzles on the pedestals will be on, while the circular nozzles in the main fountain will be off. And then they will change after a few minutes. I miss this animation and action in the fountains. Hopefully, the large vertical nozzles will be running again soon.

It seems like a lot of the subtleties like this weren't taken care of during the last seasons of Paramount's ownership. Cedar Fair has done a lot of work to restore many of the thematic and decorative aspects of the park, such as fixing the programming on the fountains and the effects on BLSC. If Paramount had kept up with maintenance on these effects, Cedar Fair wouldn't have so much to catch up on and have to spend so much money to restore these beautiful elements.

Even though they have put work into aesthetically improving the Festhaus clock, I would like it if they were able to get it back to full working condition. That clock was a lot of fun to watch when it would go off.

You do realize Paramount did a total refurbishment of the Royal Fountains back in 2003. I love the Royal Fountain at Kings Island but have felt for some time that it is under utilized as far maybe state of the art synced musical, light water show. No I do not mean a major show production just a good decent automated show.

It seems like a lot of the subtleties like this weren't taken care of during the last seasons of Paramount's ownership. Cedar Fair has done a lot of work to restore many of the thematic and decorative aspects of the park, such as fixing the programming on the fountains and the effects on BLSC. If Paramount had kept up with maintenance on these effects, Cedar Fair wouldn't have so much to catch up on and have to spend so much money to restore these beautiful elements.

Even though they have put work into aesthetically improving the Festhaus clock, I would like it if they were able to get it back to full working condition. That clock was a lot of fun to watch when it would go off.

Huh?

Paramount actually spent $1M restoring the fountains. They were completely gutted and re-done with the pool being re-sealed, the plumbing re-done and the lighting updated. Paramount hasn't owned the park in nearly 5 years... reading this thread indicates there are fountain effects not working this season. How is that' the previous owner's fault?

Are you all really selfish enough to think you could have a Starlight Spectacular and water fountains? What do you think they're running, a charity!?

And touchdown62, what roller coaster are you riding that goes by the name of Backlot Stunt Coaster and has had its effects "restored" by Cedar Fair? Fire? Water? Fog? Synchronized music? I'm not sure that we're riding the same ride if you think Cedar Fair is "catching up" with the things Paramount "ruined." And even suspending reality for half-a-second to pretend that Paramount "let these effects go..." Well, the ride opened in spring 2005... Cedar Fair bought the park in summer 2006... What Paramount could've screwed up in that one year, I haven't the slightest!

Go easy on touchdown62...

However, the point stands...

If you actually take a look at the overall "details," it seems Paramount may have actually paid more attention to them than CF has so far.

Paramount not only re-furbed the Fountains, but they also spent a huge chunk of change having all the old lights on the tops of the International Street buildings replaced. When I was there last year, there were many, many bulbs out.

Paramount was also responsible for the re-lighting of the Eiffel Tower with the rotational colors.

They also kept the band organ functional on the carousel. CF, to my knowledge, does not have any working band organs on ANY of their carousels. Seems fishy to me.

Paramount uncovered and restored the amazing stained glass window located in the Festhaus. It was hidden for years and years. They also maintained the Bavarian clock. CF has now discontinued it's use, and from what I have read on here, stripped it of it's mechanics.

Now, I am not saying CF is doing a bad job. I am just saying that their attention is obviously not focused on some of the "little things" that always made KI so charming.

Shaggy

If you actually take a look at the overall "details," it seems Paramount may have actually paid more attention to them than CF has so far.

Paramount not only re-furbed the Fountains, but they also spent a huge chunk of change having all the old lights on the tops of the International Street buildings replaced. When I was there last year, there were many, many bulbs out.

Paramount was also responsible for the re-lighting of the Eiffel Tower with the rotational colors.

They also kept the band organ functional on the carousel. CF, to my knowledge, does not have any working band organs on ANY of their carousels. Seems fishy to me.

Paramount uncovered and restored the amazing stained glass window located in the Festhaus. It was hidden for years and years. They also maintained the Bavarian clock. CF has now discontinued it's use, and from what I have read on here, stripped it of it's mechanics.

Now, I am not saying CF is doing a bad job. I am just saying that their attention is obviously not focused on some of the "little things" that always made KI so charming.

Shaggy

Actually, if you go to Dorney Park, you will find the organ on their carousel to be quite operational...

Shaggy

wait they gutted the mechanics on the clock....................... well that wont be expensive to fix and replace in the future....

Are you all really selfish enough to think you could have a Starlight Spectacular and water fountains? What do you think they're running, a charity!?

And touchdown62, what roller coaster are you riding that goes by the name of Backlot Stunt Coaster and has had its effects "restored" by Cedar Fair? Fire? Water? Fog? Synchronized music? I'm not sure that we're riding the same ride if you think Cedar Fair is "catching up" with the things Paramount "ruined." And even suspending reality for half-a-second to pretend that Paramount "let these effects go..." Well, the ride opened in spring 2005... Cedar Fair bought the park in summer 2006... What Paramount could've screwed up in that one year, I haven't the slightest!

Let's see here. The deal for Cedar Fair to purchase Paramount parks occurred in the summer of 2006, but didn't fully exert their influence until the offseason and into the start of 2007. A lot can go wrong with a ride in 2 years if not properly maintained, and IMO, IJ:ST was not properly maintained.

On Italian Job, it didn't seem like the effects with the helicopter and the explosions lasted all that long. When it was renamed BLSC 2 years later, it seemed to me a lot of those effects weren't working, or they were mistimed. That's the BLSC I remember riding. Nowadays, those effects work almost every time. I have seen it where they're shut down during bad weather, but that just makes sense. Don't want natural gas around if there's a possibility of lightning.

I don't care that the lights in the parking garage scene are off. Makes the ride a little better with that area totally dark. I also don't care the "splashdown" isn't filled anymore, since the design didn't actually allow for a splashdown.

Paramount may have spent $1M to refurbish the Royal Fountains, but, to me at least, the programming was lacking, as far as rotating the sprays and lights were concerned. Maybe it's just perception, but it seems to me these effects are working much better now than they did at the end of Paramount's run.

Just because the mechanics of the Festhaus clock were removed doesn't mean I wouldn't still like to see all that restored sometime in the future. I would be supremely ticked if the whole thing was removed, though.

Shaggy

And that precisely is my biggest gripe with Cedar Fair thus far. The little details that seem to be neglected. The Bavarian clock looks as if someone pulled the plug while it was in mid operation. On my last visit Flight of Fear's queue area was only being lit by flood lights with the TVs off, only playing the pre-show audio. No "show lighting" in the queue at all (UFO lights, various other lights on the queue walls, etc.), the ride itself is a different story though.

Just a few other lack of attention to detail I've noticed around the park is:

-The Tower Gardens area as a whole

-ESPN playing in The Beast's station, I mean I like sports as much as the next guy, but does this bother anyone else? Or am I the only one? I did like when Cedar Fair first took over and played music videos on the queue TVs.

-And probably my biggest pet peeve at the park currently - The music. I really wish they'd bring back area/theme specific music, especially on International Street. It just makes the park atmosphere a bit more generic, and Kings Island is better than that.

I hate complaining like this and had a wonderful visit this past Monday, I only point these things out because the park is very special to me, as I'm sure it is to everyone here on this site, and I hope these problems are resolved.

Let's see here. The deal for Cedar Fair to purchase Paramount parks occurred in the summer of 2006, but didn't fully exert their influence until the offseason and into the start of 2007. A lot can go wrong with a ride in 2 years if not properly maintained, and IMO, IJ:ST was not properly maintained.

If I'm not mistaken, Cedar Fair took control of the Paramount Parks immediately after the purchase, and Italian Job was under their control for most of the 2006 season. Not placing all the blame on them, just saying.

Cedar Fair took control from CBS on June 30, 2006. Even before the closing, they had their people observing operations in the parks, in order to make a swift and effective transition, avoid accidents, and generate the many synergies and cost savings Mr. Kinzel had assured unitholders this "merger," as he insisted on calling it, would bring.

We were at the park yesterday and the fountains were off the entire day. I guess this is normal now? It was disappointing. The fountains (when working) make a very nice entrance to the park and when having a snack or a meal on International Street.

We were at the park yesterday and the fountains were off the entire day. I guess this is normal now? It was disappointing. The fountains (when working) make a very nice entrance to the park and when having a snack or a meal on International Street.

Actually, the reason why the fountains were COMPLETELY off all day yesterday was due to some post electrical problems from the Independence Day power outage. You need not to worry..................I hope.

(Maybe when the fountains are back up and running the outer jets will be working again as well) I think i'm being a bit too optimisticrolleyes.gif