Compass Quest at Great Wolf Lodge

alluna

Our elementary/middle school-aged kids are big MagiQuest fans, but after visiting the lodge a few times, they were getting, well, bored of the same game. We are hitting GWL in a couple weeks, where they will now have the new Compass Quest addition to the game.

I'm guessing there is a new piece of equipment to buy (hopefully just the compass) and it's probably ten bucks like the wands.

Has anyone done it yet? Thoughts? Prices? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Our elementary/middle school-aged kids are big MagiQuest fans, but after visiting the lodge a few times, they were getting, well, bored of the same game. We are hitting GWL in a couple weeks, where they will now have the new Compass Quest addition to the game.

I'm guessing there is a new piece of equipment to buy (hopefully just the compass) and it's probably ten bucks like the wands.

Has anyone done it yet? Thoughts? Prices? :)

Okay, it doesn't look like I'm getting any bites, here, so I'm going to guess that I'll have to be extra thorough with my report. I'll try to get all the prices run down when we are there tomorrow... and see if it is worth it. Hopefully it isn't too expensive, because I know a GWL visit is a budget stretch in the first place.

Precisely. I have only been to the GWL two times, once to eat in their eatery, and the other time to get a tour of the water park when I was working on my thesis on indoor water park resorts. I have never actually stayed at the resort over night.

I know there are a few posters on here who have stayed there. Some of those posters are NOT from the Cincinnati area, which makes a difference. Especially this time of year when there are ample opportunities for water park experiences besides the Great Wolf Lodge.

For locals I'm going to try to emphasize that, unlike the waterpark, you can go in to play MagiQuest without getting a room for the night. We will be staying the night, but it's my birthday stay, so blowing money is something we've planned for this time.

I will also be interviewing the Aquatics Director this time around. Did you talk to him on your tour? I'm really excited to get a behind-the-scenes look at the waterpark, but I'm also wondering if it will have anything involved that will trigger megalophobia. Like big machines in a room. Yikes.

• 2 weeks later...

For locals I'm going to try to emphasize that, unlike the waterpark, you can go in to play MagiQuest without getting a room for the night. We will be staying the night, but it's my birthday stay, so blowing money is something we've planned for this time.

I will also be interviewing the Aquatics Director this time around. Did you talk to him on your tour? I'm really excited to get a behind-the-scenes look at the waterpark, but I'm also wondering if it will have anything involved that will trigger megalophobia. Like big machines in a room. Yikes.

We came, we saw, we quested. Here is the full review, including pricing and some gripes:

http://www.examiner.com/x-20457-Dayton-Family-Travel-Examiner~y2010m7d22-Compass-Quest-At-Great-Wolf-Lodge

Nice article. I have got to wonder, though. Are some adults maddened by kids rushing down corridors to complete their quest in record time, without regard to the doddering grandmom making her way down the hall?

Yeah, I've had a couple of close calls with kids running around corners. When it was just MagiQuest, you'd see a couple of over zealous kid running through the halls. With Compass Quest, though, they can get downright crazed at the idea of running out of time and need to be reminded to be courteous and to slow down.

I even had to pull out my polite-but-I just-might-eat-you preschool teacher voice on one kid who was rushing my son at the check-in station. The time constraints really do add stress to the game for kids who can't really approximate what 10 minutes is. The most well behaved kids had their parents with them, checking the watch together, letting them know how much time was left and helping them find the items. That is when the kids got the most out of it, too, I think, is when they were adventuring as a family.