Low Holiday weekend attendance

Colonel_SoB_fan

I had wondered the same thing, I was looking on there yesterday and today and expecting to see a full queue for Diamondback and all I see is a very minimal wait time, 5 minutes at the most it appears. The only thing I can think of is that with the 4th being on a Sunday this year everyone has to work the next day and is celebrating amongst themselves.

And last year the park promoted the heck out of July 4th....What'd they do to promote attendance this year?

1) They were going nuts with the "our fireworks show is twice as big as last year!" ads and tweets and signs.

2) Most people have Monday off. Teenagers surely do, and are not flocking to the park as expected.

3) And the park's $19.99 ticket after 5:00 is absolutely a STEAL, especially tonight when the park is open til 12:00!

4) And, today and tomorrow are the days that military personnel get in free, with tremendous discounts for family!

So they did do a lot of marketing in different areas. The question is, did they do all that marketing in hopes of packing the park more than ever before? Or did they do it because they were anticipating the declining attendance, and sought to keep numbers at least similar to last year's?

I'm very surprised the park isn't more crowded. Maybe it will be later on tonight... I always avoid parks on this particular weekend. Apparently, there's no need to this year. Too bad I couldn't have foreseen that, or I might be at the park waiting in 5 minute lines this evening!

Ohh nooooo! This is pretty awful timing when you think about it... Part of me wants only the low capacity coasters to be left operating so we can see how Kings Island deals with the worst case scenario! :lol:

We went to KI for many years on the 4th as there was outside entertaiment brought in so we eenjoyed coming. They say it's the same but not to us. I can not speak for others but we stopped coming on the 4th because we miss the way it used to be and it is not the same we have moved on and enjoying it, This is not a knock on KI but rather the reason why at least 3 do not come on the 4th weekend anymore.

The low attendance at KI was probably due to the fact that everyone was at Cedar Point yesterday.

Tom and I went, and I got a message from one of the ride ops saying it was so insane there that they had to use employee buses to bus people back to Soak City.

He wasn't kidding.

We got there, and the main lot was completely full and coned off. They were directing people to the marina lot to the left. We drove around Perimeter Road to try to find a spot in Soak City, and on the way I noticed that the reserved parking by the marina was also full. We were very lucky and found a spot, but also saw that the resort lot was full as well. It was outrageous how busy it was.

..yet the lines for the coasters remained around an hour or less (maybe due to the fact that the temp there was 90+ and everyone was in Soak City). Park operations were fantastic yesterday, every ride running at full capacity. I looked at the main lot yesterday from Blue Streak, and my jaw dropped when I wasn't able to see one single parking space open in the main lot anywhere. I also looked at the main lot from Raptor at night and cursed out loud when I saw every drive in the parking lot lit up with brake lights and the causeway backed up as far as the eye could see, and the lot was STILL full.

It was absolute chaos. I would have gotten photos, but Space Spiral was closed all day.

I remember years at KI where they had sell out crowds at the park quite a few times a year where cars would be trying to park on Kings Island Drive. Have not seen it like that in a long long time..

The last time I saw such an incidence at Kings Island was during one of Paramount's unwise Bring A Friend free days...aka BOGO...

Here what I learned today. When I started this thread, I had NO IDEA what the crowd was like at the Bay. I learned quickly at 7-7:30 PM what the crowd at the Bay was.

Throw in a power outrage and it becomes a fun night

I hope between this time period there was no crowd; the waterpark closes at 7pm. But as an employee you would have known that.