Animals in the park

IndyGuy4KI

I used to see deer alot when I worked in park services... and that was before Diamondback. They seem to be less frequent since that went up :\

A supervisor I worked for had a close encounter with a skunk.. mistaken it for a garbage bag (it was after close), good thing he didn't scare the poor skunk. There are cats that live in and around KI as well.

I have many times told the story about how, in line long ago, I once found what I thought was a Boy Scout flashlight, olive green with the crook in the neck, on the walk to what is now Flight Deck. As I bent over to pick it up, I suddenly observed it was not in fact a flashlight, but rather a copperhead snake! Needless to say, I did not pick up that flashlight! If snakes are out during the day....

I am also told there is a population of feral cats that come out at night...

• Like 2

I remember a certain day a few years ago in which a deer was running loose in Coney Island. Jumping over fences, overturning stalls, and whatnot. After about an hour, they had the animal subdued. I was not actually there, but my grandmother swims at Sunlite Pool, three or four times a week, and has many, many stories.

• Like 1

And small cats are very invasive species. Once a population starts, this population is extremely hard to remove, especially with all the cat lovers out there who raise hell when a cat is killed, even for the reason of protecting vulnerable island species. Small cats have meant the extinction of hundreds of bird species...

Its not that I dislike cats. We own a British Bombay cat named Al. The nicest and most adorable creature you'll ever see. Nevertheless, he is indeed a killing machine. 2 or 3 small animals a week... And he's declawed!

They were flippin adorable lol! Little tuxedos

Its not that I dislike cats. We own a British Bombay cat named Al. The nicest and most adorable creature you'll ever see. Nevertheless, he is indeed a killing machine. 2 or 3 small animals a week... And he's declawed!

I'm not surprised at all, lol. Farmer I know had a 23 year old declawed cat that was pretty darn good mouser. It was neat!

There's also a mysterious beast lurking around in Rivertown. Of course, Rivertown is also populated by a giant snake, a pink bat-demon, and an inactive-of-late Hindu goddess. Come to think of it, that area of the park is quite a hodge-podge of different creatures, isn't it? Let's erect a monorail to travel through it!

Well, I saw a skunk at KI near the Diamondback splashdown a few weeks ago right before close.

At Coney, I have seen many animals. There are numerous Blue Gill, Carp, Crappies, and Catfish in Lake Como. In fact, today the fish were eating a pretzel that had been left over from balloon glow the night before. (It was a very slow morning so we were being entertained by the fish feeding frenzy while waiting for our first riders of the day). Then the highlight came when one of the rides mechanics came by with a half of a large pizza he had found from the night before. He threw the pieces into the lake, and the catfish devoured the pizza in about a minute!

Coney also has a lot of Canadian geese in and around Lake Como. There also have been known to be lots of skunks around. In fact, we saw a skunk tonight when leaving the park near Scrambler, and skunks have been known to run around Dodgems and Famous Fairways mini-golf once the sun goes down. Once the skunks found their way into the womens restroom in the picnic grove a few years back and that certainly resulted in a foul situation.

I have many times told the story about how, in line long ago, I once found what I thought was a Boy Scout flashlight, olive green with the crook in the neck, on the walk to what is now Flight Deck. As I bent over to pick it up, I suddenly observed it was not in fact a flashlight, but rather a copperhead snake! Needless to say, I did not pick up that flashlight! If snakes are out during the day....

I've also encountered a snake back by Flight Deck, some Animal Services person was removing it when I was exiting the ride a few years ago.

I saw a deer eating grass while riding Adventure Express this year, but the grass has since been cut.