Kings Island Power Outage 7-4-2010

dustyj1986

I was in the park yesterday and it was crazy for the guests and workers. Personally I was not looking for any refund or comp tickets but I think some people do deserve them. Mr Kinzel once said to the employees "For many of our guests, their visit to our park is the biggest day of the summer. Do everything you can to make it a wonderful memory they'll never forget."

In guest service I many times apologize for things that were beyond my control. This was an awesome oppertunity for the park to show the guests they really do care.

Besides the water rides being opened and closed on and off Delirum never ran, neither did Drop Tower, and of course SOB. Even up to 11pm the resturants that did have power had to manually run credit cards. No music with the fireworks, all the up front gift shops and resturants were closed, and they had only generators with spot lights lighting the parking lot.

Perhaps Mr.Kinzel doesn't remember saying that because he's too busy counting his nickels.

While I was enjoying the fireworks I had my scanner on the OP freq. From what the maintenance units were discussing they lost at least leg one leg of power. The rides OD sent home dark ride and woodstock express were sent home at about 2230 and told to "check in with swings". The log flume went signal 99 at 2130ish apparently they had lost 1 of the 2 main pumps (resulting in both lifts shutting down). The majority of ride computers were non-functional resulting in the lighting not coming on. That's what I remember off the top other than people trying to figure out who had keys to what.

I suppose all I'm saying is, there are without question those who will rethink future visits to Kings Island. Because of the power outage? No. But because of the way it was handled. I'm sure people feel cheated. I'm even a bit off-put that they continued letting people in, while admittedly having no way of knowing when or even if the power would return that day.

What it comes down to is, Kings Island lost return visitors that day. A few? Some? Many? That, we may never know. Regardless, an unspecified portion of those upset guests might've remained happily returning guests had they only been given a small something - a coupon for free Starlight admission good only the following day, a free small drink, a "sorry" from the general manager as they leave the park... Any indication at all the park cared even a little bit would've saved face, and ultimately would've paid for itself in the long run.

As it is, Kings Island stubbornly got its nickels from July 4, 2010. But who knows how many days of nickels they'll lose in the future because of it?

And I ask again, would the Kings Island of 1972 simply have sent guests on their way, meandering through darkened pathways with no entertainment or dining, and without any update from the park management? Would the Kings Island of 1972 simply bid farewell to guests exiting the park without so much as an apology, much less a complimentary beverage or a ticket good for the following evening? Absolutely nothing?

I don't know... But I have a good guess.

Perhaps some did. Perhaps some didn't. I don't know that they were specifically instructed by their superiors to alert the arriving customers to the issue... I imagine some people brought it up before they scanned your ticket, but I really don't think that management required, or even promoted it. And even if they did... They've already got your $10 for parking, don't they?

Do you really think that they didn't say anything about the issues when people were buying tickets? I highly, highly doubt that they said nothing and just let people buy tickets.

Perhaps some did. Perhaps some didn't. I don't know that they were specifically instructed by their superiors to alert the arriving customers to the issue... I imagine some people brought it up before they scanned your ticket, but I really don't think that management required, or even promoted it. And even if they did... They've already got your $10 for parking, don't they?

It was a very difficult time last night and we did everything we could to please the guests. During the time when all of the power was out and through all of the chaos we had an associate go out of his way and find a pump to help inflate a war veteran's wheel chair. You make it seem like all of the employees are out to get the guests when we are just trying to do are job which is to appeal to all of the guests needs which we did to the best of our abilities during the situation.

No one doubts you did that to the best of your abilities...the issue is what had top management empowered employees to do in a situation like this...and did that empowerment enable employees to not only meet but exceed customer expectations, thus encouraging their repeat business? Unexpected problems are going to interfere with customer interactions in any business...it is when this happens that great companies arise to the occasion while lesser ones cope with it in the absence of a well defined plan...see, for instance, storms, power outages, product delays, etc.

And I`m kind of surprised that no one has mentioned something. Last year, the park added some power lines that are visible when riding the train ride (near the train house and White Water Canyon`s loading area). Granted, these additional feeds may not have been tied into the area affected by the power outage on Sunday, but it does show that KI has upgraded at least part of their electrical system.

^^^ Terpy was right, I was saying that many of the employes doubtlessly went out of their way to alert arriving guests to the condition of the park, but that management probably did not force them to do so. They did it of their own kindness, not because management requested that all arriving guests be made aware that their money was being wasted. It was a commentary about management and their attempts to get every dollar possible oftentimes at the expense of the visitor, not about the workers (for whom I've always had the utmost respect in all of my posts and in real life!)

^^^ Terpy was right, I was saying that many of the employes doubtlessly went out of their way to alert arriving guests to the condition of the park, but that management probably did not force them to do so. They did it of their own kindness, not because management requested that all arriving guests be made aware that their money was being wasted. It was a commentary about management and their attempts to get every dollar possible oftentimes at the expense of the visitor, not about the workers (for whom I've always had the utmost respect in all of my posts and in real life!)

You are making a lot of assumptions here and getting bent out of shape over this, and you are not even sure how it was handled, or what upper management was even thinking on how to handle it. We all know how the media twists things to make it worse. Regardless of how it was executed, the intentions of upper management could have been the opposite of how it turned out. They might be chewing lower managements butts out right now for this situation, and coming up with a better plan for next time, we don't know! The damage is done for those people this time, but how they rectify this issue for next time also speaks waves as well. Other poster said they were handing out water and being very apologetic, opposite of what we have heard! Were you there? Did you talk to management and get their feelings on this situation? I am not defending KI here, for I have already posted what I think should have happened earlier in the thread. Unless you can back up your statements these are all just assumptions on what management was thinking at the time, but no one really knows but them.

I had family members there and they told me nothing was done. They talked to GR. These family members paid full price to get in plus parking.

As I stated nothing was done for my family members who attended. There was a long line at GR, not saying they did for anyone else but my family nothing so that is a pretty good assumption nothing was done.

You are making a lot of assumptions here and getting bent out of shape over this, and you are not even sure how it was handled, or what upper management was even thinking on how to handle it. We all know how the media twists things to make it worse. Regardless of how it was executed, the intentions of upper management could have been the opposite of how it turned out. They might be chewing lower managements butts out right now for this situation, and coming up with a better plan for next time, we don't know! The damage is done for those people this time, but how they rectify this issue for next time also speaks waves as well. Other poster said they were handing out water and being very apologetic, opposite of what we have heard! Were you there? Did you talk to management and get their feelings on this situation? I am not defending KI here, for I have already posted what I think should have happened earlier in the thread. Unless you can back up your statements these are all just assumptions on what management was thinking at the time, but no one really knows but them.

I agree with you. I keep seeing such words as "perhaps" and "probably". This is how we describe speculations, not facts.

I had family members there and they told me nothing was done. They talked to GR. These family members paid full price to get in plus parking.

As I stated nothing was done for my family members who attended. There was a long line at GR, not saying they did for anyone else but my family nothing so that is a pretty good assumption nothing was done.

I will say it again, this is how it was handled. Does my family have to go on national news to prove this?

This was one of the worst visits I have EVer had to KI. We went with my Grandfather who was retired Military and my Mother in law, both whom havent been to the Park in 20 years. We got there right about 5. Right about 6 the fountains shut off and I thought that was kinda weird. We went over to catch the 6:00 snoopy rocks on ice show and they waited till right at 6 after everyone had lined up to tell them there would be a show due to the power outage. So we made our way over to the Sultry festhaus where they said the way too much tv show would go on on schedule at 6:30. We sat there in the heat until 6:45 when they announced there would be no show. Made our way over to coney mall where most of all the rides were operating.Half of snoopys starlight spectacular was illuminated with no music or anything, and the "Twice as big as last year" Fireworks they had planned went on for 15 minutes with no music or anything. A Very sad showing. All International street shops were dark which I can understand, but here was the kicker for me. The Restrooms were all closed!!! Cedar Fair handled this Horribly. How on a 90 degree day are you going to close most all food service locations and restrooms?! The guy told me the only other restroom in the park that was open was over by Racer. And There was no way i was walkin over there because I could only imagine the line! Now, Im a very understanding guy and I realize that things happen. When you have a park of that size and magnitude, stuff can go wrong, but Its all in how you handle it and IMO, It was handled. quite frankly, Like crap! KI Lost alot of potential future guests on the 4th. But then again, thats just my view..

I will say it again, this is how it was handled. Does my family have to go on national news to prove this?

I did not argue or say anything about how it was handled or about the experience your family had. The point I was trying to make was that GYK182 was making assumptions about managements actions and intentions for the situation, when only those managers know for sure. The end result, as your family found out was bad and should have been handled differently.

I did not argue or say anything about how it was handled or about the experience your family had. The point I was trying to make was that GYK182 was making assumptions about managements actions and intentions for the situation, when only those managers know for sure. The end result, as your family found out was bad and should have been handled differently.

Ditto. Did not mean to deny the bad experience your family had, Purplehaze. They had first- hand knowledge about how things were handled. Was only commenting on others drawing conclusions from speculations, not facts, of how management handled the situation.

This was one of the worst visits I have EVer had to KI. We went with my Grandfather who was retired Military and my Mother in law, both whom havent been to the Park in 20 years. We got there right about 5. Right about 6 the fountains shut off and I thought that was kinda weird. We went over to catch the 6:00 snoopy rocks on ice show and they waited till right at 6 after everyone had lined up to tell them there would be a show due to the power outage. So we made our way over to the Sultry festhaus where they said the way too much tv show would go on on schedule at 6:30. We sat there in the heat until 6:45 when they announced there would be no show. Made our way over to coney mall where most of all the rides were operating.Half of snoopys starlight spectacular was illuminated with no music or anything, and the "Twice as big as last year" Fireworks they had planned went on for 15 minutes with no music or anything. A Very sad showing. All International street shops were dark which I can understand, but here was the kicker for me. The Restrooms were all closed!!! Cedar Fair handled this Horribly. How on a 90 degree day are you going to close most all food service locations and restrooms?! The guy told me the only other restroom in the park that was open was over by Racer. And There was no way i was walkin over there because I could only imagine the line! Now, Im a very understanding guy and I realize that things happen. When you have a park of that size and magnitude, stuff can go wrong, but Its all in how you handle it and IMO, It was handled. quite frankly, Like crap! KI Lost alot of potential future guests on the 4th. But then again, thats just my view..

Wet floors + low/no lighting = disaster.

Sounds like the only restrooms that had power were over in the Coney area. I don't blame them for closing the other restrooms, they were just looking out for everyone's safety.

As someone who has experienced many power outages at the park, I can tell you that when it happens, it's like turnining the park upside down and shaking it up. It's not just a blow to one department, all departments are affected at the exact same time.

And how would you have handled it?

I was informed that there was a plan of action for incidents like this which was executed on Sunday. Those who made mention of the brown out at Guest Services were asked to give their contact info and they will be taken care of.

Not so in all cases. So who ever informed you of that is not entirely correct. My family member who went is a very good person, a church goer for 50 years and is saddened by what happened in their case. Maybe they need to talk to the person you did and that person should step forward and explain this.