Vortex Loop Arch

TOPGUN1993

With the recent news Great American Scream Machine at Great Adventure is being removed. I began thinking, as much as I hate to admit it Vortex is getting rather old and you never know when it could be removed due to age/new addition. I thought of ways to always remember this ride when if finally does leave Kings Island.

At Great Adventure in there wild animal drive threw attraction, they have the top of one GASM's loops that needed to be replaced years prior. Now monkeys climb on it.

MonkeyLoop2.jpg

MonkeyLoop1.jpg

Using this concept, how cool would it be if they used The Vortex top portion of the loops to create an archway over the brick path near its current boomerang? or anywhere else for that matter.

vortexara.jpg

Your probably thinking, get real parks wouldn't even think of doing something like this. Although Alton Towers did something similar to this idea with there former Corkscrew roller coaster, moving the corkscrews to there entrance plaza.

36467_10150214514240370_681415369_13136204_167963_n.jpg

Let me know your thought of this idea. and KI take notice! :)

• Like 1

I hope Vortex is not removed in the future because I actually like the coaster, one of the few and proud. However, if they did remove it I would love to see this idea go into place. I think it would be something very cool and decorative. I wish they would have done this with SOB's old loop.

I don't see Vortex being any higher than 3rd in the "Going to Scrap" list, with Son of Beast and Flight Deck in the same park. SOB has its well-known issues and Flight Deck is in far worse condition than Vortex. And Vortex was just repainted last year (it looked great when I visited on May 8th 2010), and remains pretty popular. It's also a capacity eater, and KI has plenty of room for new rides WITHOUT removing Vortex. So for now, Vortex appears safe. Now, if Six Flags owned KI, it would probably be a different story, as they are ripping Arrow Megaloopers out like it's no tommorow...

However, the time will eventually come when Vortex grows too old and does finally meet its end. I don't expect this until after 2014 or so. However, I would love it if KI would keep parts of Vortex and use them in this manner. I would also like if they also kept the station, keeping the "Passing down of the former Bat station" tradition Vortex started in 1987 alive.

In fact, if the case is indeed that KI must eventually start removing their rides, I could see a "KI Museum of Lost Rides" being built somewhere. Inside, track and cars from old roller coasters, framed pictures, and more "old stuff from KI" would be shown as decoration. A piece of Vortex track with a train on it, restored to look brand new, perhaps with dummies on it, would be fitting for said Museum if Vortex was ever taken down. And from what I've heard, the park still has the King Cobra sign and cars...they could start there!

PS: Just got an idea- Vortex loop could be used as Museum entrance!

I hope Vortex is not removed in the future because I actually like the coaster, one of the few and proud.

Put me on that list as well. Rode it with a friend ( her first ride on it) last time I was there and she loved it. We were the only two people on a packed train to respond when asked how was your ride, lol.

• Like 1

I actually like the coaster, one of the few and proud.

I don't ride Vortex too often because of how it rides, but when I do ride it, it's usually pretty fun. It's a bit jerky and rough, but it has a nostalgic feel to it that I think Kings Island should be proud of. There are only a few of those left and even if it is rough, it'll always be a charm from the past.

Vortex won't be removed too soon. It's a popular ride, and there's nothing wrong with it.

http://www.rcdb.com/111.htm?dt=126&d=321

"We hate to see The Big Bad Wolf go," said John Reilly, Busch Gardens' general manager. "We realize The Big Bad Wolf is a guest favorite.

[....]

While it remains a safe attraction, it has simply reached the end of its service life,"

There's a great circle of life here.

• Like 1

^

While Loch Ness Monster is still operating, and is 9 years older than Vortex. I'd say Vortex should have at least 9 more years. Arrow Megaloopers really don't have that bad a service life, no matter what any company wants to think.

The same can not be said about Arrow Suspended Coasters...

Yes, I noticed it is a little more rough than it was in 87, lol.

Should we blame it on it's age or our ages?...hahaha

I think it's a 50/50 split, lol.

As for the building, it should remain forever.

I would go with our age.... Every year the rides get rougher and rougher.... the rides are maintained very well... i cant say that about our bodies... haha

• Like 1

Yes, I noticed it is a little more rough than it was in 87, lol.

Should we blame it on it's age or our ages?...hahaha

I think it's a 50/50 split, lol.

As for the building, it should remain forever.

I would go with our age.... Every year the rides get rougher and rougher.... the rides are maintained very well... i cant say that about our bodies... haha

LOL. That is very true.

For all we know, GASM is being moved to another park.

I see SF putting it up for sale and sending it to another park to sit in a field until it's bought, but sadly I doubt any park will buy it and in a few years it will be sold for scrap.