Regional Amusement Parks Vie for Kentucky Kingdom Customers

And that is the LAST interview Joe Arnold, or anyone from news 11 would get from me ever again if I were in Holdiay Worlds shoes. Where is the "And in Ohio, The Beast is feasting on former SFKK patrons" or "Diamondback has been venomously striking former Kentucky Kingdom customers all summer". Journalistic integrity indeed. mad.gif

This (insert word for anger) me off. Seriously? What a stupid story. Of COURSE people from the Louisville area are going to visit Holiday World, Kings Island, and Beech Bend. What do you want them to do? Stand outside Kentucky Kingdom and look at it? NO! They're going to go to the nearest amusement parks, and of course other parks are going to capitalize off of it. "No, I'm sorry sir, your family isn't allowed in the park since you live in Louisville."

Business is Darwin's Theory of Natural Selection at play. Survival of the fittest. If one species (or business) gets knocked out then others are going to thrive, that's just the way it works. Kentucky Kingdom was closed for a reason, and these people are acting like the Kochs, Cedar Fair, and Beach Bend came in and burnt the place down. Talk about idiots...

/rant

It's not just that. Louisville lost a park. BIG DEAL. In the grand scheme of life, that's important but not THAT important. Yes, I am well aware of the job losses, etc. Stuff like that happens, every day, sad to say.

The Kochs, their family and friends and Holiday World all lost Will. That's life changing, tragic and unexpected.

Joe Arnold should have problems sleeping at night. What a jerk. And he can't even claim to not know it...he writes of the loss of Will in the article. Pandering to the Louisville locals. Nothing more.

Yep, a jerk.

And it is even sadder if you know the Kochs, as I do. They are a class act. They are no doubt hurt by this story (who would not be?), but they won't say anything. They will just keep doing what they do best...as Pat was out there working right after Will died...Where else would I be, said she? This is what I do, and where I belong.

Class. Some people exude it. Some people have it. Some never will.

The article (or bird cage liner as I like to call it) was posted on HW's Facebook page, with Paula simply saying in response "Excuse me? Vultures?". I dont know the Koch Family that well as I have only been in contact with them since early May, but I cant agree with you enough, Terpy, that Will was, and Paula is a class act in every way. I have never been treated more kindly, or made to feel like a Park Management staff actually WANTS me there like I have been every single time I have walked through the entrance gate of Holiday World.

Maybe I missed it, but I fail to see where Mr Arnold was so "terrible" with what he said about HW or other parks.

Actually he's right about Beech Bend marketing hitting the Louisville market hard this year. Holiday World has always been aggressive in their competing campaign opposing SFKK... they annually placed billboard ads visible from within KK.

However, It does strike me as odd that this all comes on the heels of a devistatingly bad weekend at the fairgrounds. They had one of their big flea market extravaganzas... something that in the past has brought in humongous crowds. Apparently vendors at the flea market are up in arms because there was no money to be made and it ended up being a flop. The fairgrounds increased the parking price to an exhorbitant $8. (That's up $2 since the spring and up $5 from 5 years ago!) which drove away attendees. In addition, Stewart Promotions had to increase costs of space rental due to higher rent being charged by the Fair Board for hall space.

I have said it before, I'll say it again... Workman and the Fair Board are good-ol-boys that are to blame for this whole mess.

But, according to what I have read here, KI was definitely not a benefactor of the demise of SFKK... at least not this past weekend.

I guarantee you that if KK were to have been open this year, it would have been a very slow weekend for them as well.

There are new HW billboards EVERYWHERE here in Elizabethtown, KY. Never hear much about Beech Bend. I would only go there to watch some racing on the 1/4 mile track. Everything I have seen gives me the feeling that the park itself is just a large carnival and I can't stomach much in the way of rides at those sadly.

my apologies in advance but maybe I too am missing the issues with this article. Aside from the vulture comment, not really much was said derogatory. KK died, and the other parks swallow up the people who visit that park. Sadly not too many names start with v, that sound similar to voyage, that can be used to signify that other businesses are reaping the benefits of the void in Louisville.

Also this is a louisville station, so in the grand scheme of things they only care enough if it results in less revenue dollars.

I mean would anyone had been upset if he wrote "just a few hours north, The Beast munches on the remains of KK park goers." So he used an animal that is opportunistic.......