Need Help With Fear.

muppetfan1999

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a tough question. IMO I would go straight for DB and the reasoning it is a smooth ride. Going on Beast, Vortex or The Racer even will flail you around like a rag doll :) I hope you conquer that fear, KI has some pretty awesome coasters. I never see myself getting over my fear of DT even though I ride it I still have reservations when I ride it.

start out small, maybe flying ace or woodstock express, but if you know you can ride those two, try bumping yourself up to flight deck, possibly the middle of the train, or if your problem is seeing the coaster, try riding Flight of Fear, i think i remember you posting about you've ridden backlot before, and it's not a whole lot faster of a launch.

hope this helps! :)

My mom was scared, too, and so we went to Backlot Stunt Coaster. It launches, but it's a family coaster. It's probably the second smoothest in the park, it's short, and it's a fun ride no matter what!

I would say that the best three to start off with at Backlot Stunt Coaster, Flight Deck, and (you won't believe this, but it's true) Flight of Fear - Flight of Fear goes upside down four times and is in partial darkness, but it's a rather tame ride after the first 10 seconds (which contains the first three inversions) and very manageable for new riders. It's just the fear of not seeing the ride until you're on it that's scary. The Crypt is also a realllly good introduction to rides - it goes upside down twice, is very, very smooth, really short, and provides a very unique sensation of positive G's.

I have a fear of roller coasters and I was wondering if anybody here had any idea on how to get over it. Namely, Which coasters should I ride first at Kings Island and how to get myself onto the coaster.

Thanks!

(By the way sorry if I put this in the wrong forum.)

What rides have you ridden?

How old are you?

A good way too get over your fear is to just do it.

Its as easy taking 3 steps in to the car, pull down your restraint and be ready for a good ride.

I personally think you should ride these rides(I'll start with fun little coasters that are mild and then work my way too the ones I think you can handle)

1.Adventure Express - Very fun ride, not really fast. Also the theme is still nice on it.

2.Racer(s) - These 2 are very fun, Both a little more intense then Adventure Express. Make sure you sit in the middle of the train in the middle of the cart.

3.Flight Deck - Quick and short ride. Has a fun layout too it.

4.Diamond Back - Don't let the height scare you, This is a very fun coaster. Its smooth and fast. Just hang on.

5.Firehawk - I think you should do this for sure. Its very smooth and fun, something new. If you are scared of this to even get on then i would go to 5(2).Vortex very fun, don't let the loops and hill make you scared this is a ride is classic and had mild speed and is very fun.

6.The Beast - Just make yourself go on it, you won't regret it. It only has 2 hills and I can't tell you anymore cause i want too surprise you =]

(some one already mention Backlot Stunt Coaster.

Also are you scared of flat rides too?

A good way to make your coaster experience go better is too sit in the middle of train.

If you want you can close your eyes.(you'll be missing out tho)

Have a friend sit next with you or a close family member.

First of all, think about the reason you want to conquer your fear of coasters-are you doing it for yourself or because of peer pressure? If you are doing it for yourself that is fine. If it is because others are pressuring you, that is the wrong reason. Keep in mind that many people cannot stand coasters or other thrill rides and there is nothing wrong with that. Others who love coasters and thrill rides need to respect others who don't.

If you answered yes to my first question, I would definately start out small. I would start at Adventure Express and Woodstock Express. Don't ride in the back as that tends to be the roughest part of the train-ride toward the front. Also, avoid wheel seats which tend to be extra rough. Work your way up gradually to the bigger coasters-next try Racer, then Beast, then DB. I would do the upside down ones like Vortex, Firehawk and Flight of Fear last. And never ride after you have just had a big meal for obvious reasons.

Happy riding!

Not Adventure Express. Or Vortex. Both rides have really awkward transitions that cause you to sort of smack back and forth. It's not painful, but it's not really fun, and certainly not appropriate for your first ride - it'll turn you off of roller coasters for a while.

Here is how I have done it to my friends. Just try Diamondback. If you like it, it will give you the confidence to ride everything else since its the biggest in the park. If you dont like it, then go to The Racer, then Vortex, then beast, then FOF, then try Diamondback again.

Not Adventure Express. Or Vortex. Both rides have really awkward transitions that cause you to sort of smack back and forth. It's not painful, but it's not really fun, and certainly not appropriate for your first ride - it'll turn you off of roller coasters for a while.

Was this post serious?

AE is perfect for the first ride. Of course your going to move around, besides sitting still is boring.

Muppet just ignore that post about AE

Now Vortex, just sit in the middle case solved.

Just get on em and ride. Took a long time but my wife finally did it this year and was mad at herself for missing out on the fun all her life, lol.

Start small and work your way up, she started on Woodstock and enjoyed it. After her first Stunt Coaster ride (of 4 that day) she was hooked and jumped right on Beast. I have yet to get her on anything with an Inversion or DB. That will happen soon though.

I suggest taking a friend or family member along as well. Makes you feel better having someone you trust/care about along with you. If no one will ride with you, post in the upcoming visits before your trip, I'm sure someone, if not several someone's, will be happy to ride with ya.

For those of you who've been asking, I'm 11 years old, I've ridden Adventure Express twice, and I really liked that one, Backlot once, (It was also going to be twice but the last time I tried it I waited in a 45 minute line and got put into the second row and that freaked the heck out of me because I only like the middle seats) and I almost tried Racer after I sat down I got to nervous and broke down.

Also, the main thing I'm afraid of in all of the coasters is the drops. I'm too nervous to ride Woodstock Express because of the drop that I'm a sixth and two feet of the hight. (I'm a little under six feet tall. I know, I'm pretty tall for an 11 year old)

^then you should really try Flight of Fear, all seats have the same view when the lights are off, you get to pick your own seat, plus, it's layout launches you to the top of the ride, and you descend through a series of twists and turns leaving no sudden drops. :)

When I was 10 (3 years ago) I was terrified of the Big Dipper at Camden Park. In 07'(the same year in) I rode SOB and I cried in the station and all the way off the lift hill. But when we went down the first drop. I fell in love with rollercoasters.

So my advice would just be to go to KI and ride a big ride. No matter how scared you are.smile.gif

You will be fine, just do not let peer pressure make you ride something you do not want to. I remember as a wee lad (here comes when I walked 2 miles to school barefooted in the snow bit) I was so afraid of all the coasters there. Finally a friend of the family who actually worked there full time rode one with me I felt so much better that he had experience at the park then my own family...lol.... There is nothing with being fearful it is a natural human reaction.

^then you should really try Flight of Fear, all seats have the same view when the lights are off, you get to pick your own seat, plus, it's layout launches you to the top of the ride, and you descend through a series of twists and turns leaving no sudden drops. :)

Well I'd only want to ride it when it's not pitch black as I don't really want to go upside down when I don't expect it, and I like to know what's going to happen a ride, which is why I watch as many POV's as I can of all roller coasters.

[/media]

Well I'd only want to ride it when it's not pitch black as I don't really want to go upside down when I don't expect it, and I like to know what's going to happen a ride, which is why I watch as many POV's as I can of all roller coasters.

if you want to watch a pov of Flight of Fear, or just see what it looks like without the building; look at these

[media]

p986.jpg

in all honesty the only inversion that really catches you by suprise is the final corkscrew, even if you know the layout. :)

In my opinion, watching POVs is the absolute worst thing you can do. The first time I went I rode pretty much everything because I had no idea what they did. Looking back, I don't think I would've even rode Racer if I would've watched a POV. I didn't even see Racer's lift hill (Due to my low knowledge of the park at the time), and I think if I would've seen it, I wouldn't have ridden it. After I got off of it the first time, I saw the lift and my facial expression was: ohmy.gif . But I think that all goes away after you ride some smaller coasters. I just got more daring and brave and didn't really care about whether I saw the drop or not. I just knew I would have fun.

I definately think you should go on Woodstock Express to try to get used to the drop. I was really scared my first time, but I ended up having a lot of fun(That's what she said). That was my friend's first coaster, and he ended up riding everything with me.

I still get really nervous in line for The Beast, Diamondback, etc., just because it looks so intimidating (Ha!), even though I've ridden them multiple times.

You just have to tell yourself that you're going to have fun, and roller coasters are completely safe.

[quote name='IslandAddict' date='09 July 2010 - 06:06 PM' timestamp='1278713218' post='390251'

I was really scared my first time, but I ended up having a lot of fun(That's what she said).

Inappropriate much?

Anyways, it is true though. No matter how scared you are (I rode Drop Tower and I was practically hyperventilating), you are still going to have TONS of fun. You'll end up being addicted.