"Oh just hold it down."

Ok here is the backround, like I said in another post me and Fearthe Four went to the Ohio State fair. We were beginning to wind down our day and we wanted to ride a fun ride that wasnt to crazy (pretty much anything but a Zipper) we both decided on an Avatar/Surfin' Dog type ride and this decision gave us a story for the rest of our lifes. We go in and sit in our seat and the lady at the very front of the ride sat down (note:the only restraint is a Viking Ship type lap bar.) and she pulled down her lap bar. as soon as she released her grip on the bar it popped staright back up. Everyone else had already been secured. The women asked the operator, "Mam why wont my restraint stay down," and the operator goes, "Oh that restraint hasnt worked all day so just hold it and you should be fine." Me and FeartheFour looked at eachother and both had a wtf look on our face. Needless to say that lady did not ride that ride that day but we've got a story for the rest of our lifes.

I don't want to sound rude, but could you please try and fix all the run on sentences in your posts? It's very hard to read when there's barley any periods or commas.

And as for the post, how could the operator say that? I mean, risk the life of your visitor? It's like she didn't even try to figure out what was wrong with it, or to try and help the rider.

It's very hard to read when there's barley any periods or commas.

;) Enough said of grammar and spelling errors? Let he who is without sin throw the first stone, after all... Hahha. But yes, it would be much clearer and easier to read if there were paragraphs and if the sentences were... well... sentences.

08-Barley.jpg

That is just ridiculous! Once I went to a church festival and they had a ride people called the salt and pepper shaker.

The ride spins vertical taking the rider upside down three times. One ride before me, the ride could not make it upside down. The engine was spitting something white out too. After he E-stopped it, he said with a nervous tone, "Thats never happened before!" Then he got them of and let me on. I got on, then said decided to get off.

The ride ops at the state fair were actually very rude. When I got off the zipper there was another couple on the ride freaking out and screaming  once they stopped they were like GET US OFF! But what did the ride op do? Sent them on another ride cycle. The ride closed down after that. The ride ops also smoked while they were operating the rides. They would walk by check your seat and blow a puff of smoke in your face. 

Here at our County Fair we have really only had one really unsafe type ride, okay I know they're not all THAT safe but still. It was a type of ride that had a long arm with two kind of rocketships on each end and spun around vertically. For the most part we have had a safe track record.

Thus why I refuse to ride carnival rides that are not anchored to the ground. As I had stated in another thread, the inspection standards for Traveling Rides is not where it needs to be, which puts the rider at risk.

Same here, except I don't trust them period. If a ride is on wheels, can fold up, and has support structures that are much thinner and fragile than their Amusement/Theme park counterparts, and especailly if any part of said ride leaves the ground, then i just walk on by.

The ride ops at the state fair were actually very rude. When I got off the zipper there was another couple on the ride freaking out and screaming once they stopped they were like GET US OFF! But what did the ride op do? Sent them on another ride cycle. The ride closed down after that. The ride ops also smoked while they were operating the rides. They would walk by check your seat and blow a puff of smoke in your face.

Sounds like the fairs I grew up with. Let me add I would not want to be caught alone with any of them either...

Growing up dad would never let us ride these rides. But we manged to somehow or another. As for the smoking part that is common in small venues like that, was it an older person? No age does not have anything to do with it but just curious. Back in the day you could smoke anywhere. A person could smoke even during court, in your office, I mean anywhere.

My youngest son was shocked when I told him that. As recently as the 80's you could even smoke in your seat on an airplane. To see those days there is a show I believe on AMC(?) called Madmen.

The ride ops at the state fair were actually very rude. When I got off the zipper there was another couple on the ride freaking out and screaming  once they stopped they were like GET US OFF! But what did the ride op do? Sent them on another ride cycle. The ride closed down after that. The ride ops also smoked while they were operating the rides. They would walk by check your seat and blow a puff of smoke in your face. 

Hey I think we are going again if you want to go.

Growing up dad would never let us ride these rides. But we manged to somehow or another. As for the smoking part that is common in small venues like that, was it an older person? No age does not have anything to do with it but just curious. Back in the day you could smoke anywhere. A person could smoke even during court, in your office, I mean anywhere.

My youngest son was shocked when I told him that. As recently as the 80's you could even smoke in your seat on an airplane. To see those days there is a show I believe on AMC(?) called Madmen.

Yeah, I remember lighting up at a hospital-nobody gave a second look. Only trouble I ever had was appearing to be underage-which stopped about 2 years ago.

Ok here is the backround, like I said in another post me and Fearthe Four went to the Ohio State fair. We were beginning to wind down our day and we wanted to ride a fun ride that wasnt to crazy (pretty much anything but a Zipper) we both decided on an Avatar/Surfin' Dog type ride and this decision gave us a story for the rest of our lifes. We go in and sit in our seat and the lady at the very front of the ride sat down (note:the only restraint is a Viking Ship type lap bar.) and she pulled down her lap bar. as soon as she released her grip on the bar it popped staright back up. Everyone else had already been secured. The women asked the operator, "Mam why wont my restraint stay down," and the operator goes, "Oh that restraint hasnt worked all day so just hold it and you should be fine." Me and FeartheFour looked at eachother and both had a wtf look on our face. Needless to say that lady did not ride that ride that day but we've got a story for the rest of our lifes.

Is this a story from last year's fair? The 2010 Ohio State Fair doesn't start for 2 weeks.

the operator goes, "Oh that restraint hasnt worked all day so just hold it and you should be fine." Me and FeartheFour looked at eachother and both had a wtf look on our face.

I had a similar situation at a park (that shall remain nameless) last year, but it wasn't because the restraint wasn't working, it was because of my size and the bar wouldn't go down all the way to a locked position. The ride op told me to just hold it down and I would be fine. I rode it anyway and lived to tell the tale. If GatorGirl had been in the seat with me I would not have ridden in that scenario, but she was in the seat behind me with Mrs. Gator. Looking back, I should have just done a Walk of Shame (which I'm not really ashamed to do anymore, so that's a misnomer to me. If I don't fit, I don't fit. C'est la vie, no use getting upset about it... unless I just rode the ride, got right back on it again same seat, different train and don't fit... That's right FoF, I'm talking about you! Show some consistency! And no, FoF isn't the ride that I rode with an unlocked restraint).

I later spoke with another ride op from that park about the situation. I said "That shouldn't have happened, right?" and he confirmed that it should not have. At a later time I went back and rode the ride and that time the restraint did go down to the locked position.

Case in point why I don't ride attractions that aren't at amusement parks!