Wisconsin Dells

Dvo

Over the weekend a group of friends and I went camping in Wisconsin Dells. I've never been up there but have always wanted to. We left Chicagoland around 5:00 on Friday and arrived at our campsite at about 8:00. We set up our tents and drank some beers by a fire. Nice relaxing first night.

Saturday I woke up around 7:30. For some reason I can never sleep in on the day I'm going to an amusement park. Not a bad thing I suppose. Anyway, the park opened at 9 am. I arrived at the Mt. Olympus gate around 9:30, since I figured there wouldn't be many people. I was right. Right when you walk in, Zeus's entrance is right in front of you. So I walked right to the station and sat down in the back seat. Then we had to wait a few minutes for enough people to get on the ride to dispatch it (it was that dead). After a minute or two, we were on our way.

Now I had heard that Mt. Olympus's rides were "rickety" and "bumpy as hell," but I went in looking forward to it. After all most woodies are bumpy, but in a good way. Zeus is not bumpy in a good way. After the first drop, we hit a camelback, and on the other side of that was one of the worst valleys I've ever hit on a coaster. My back immediately ached. Devastating. The rest of the ride wasn't too bad.. a decent turnaround at the end of the track, and then some okay hills back to the station.

After Zeus, I walked to Hades, the only ride with a wait. That being said, it was a one-train wait. I again got into the back seat. Hades is a very good coaster. Immediately out of the station you get ejector air in the back seat. Dead serious. There is a solid drop right off The Bat. And then more ejector air before you even get to the lift. After the lift it's the renowned tunnel under the parking lot that's full of quick turns in the darkness, so you have no idea what's coming next. My favorite part is going through the tunnel for the 2nd time and coming out to a wonderful airtime hill. You can certainly see the similarities to Voyage, but you can also see that Voyage is basically the incredibly superior sequel to this thing. Hades is very good. Voyage is incredible.

Now on to the ride that I was most looking forward to on this trip... CYCLOPS. This behemoth only stands at 75 feet high, but I went in with countless reports about the back seat on Cyclops. You have to be 18 to ride it because the 2nd hill supposedly had insane ejector air. I got in line, got to the empty station, and walked to the back seat only to find it CLOSED! They chained off the back seat. :( So I sat in the 2nd last seat to try to salvage what insanity I could. I was incredibly disappointed. The first drop was okay into a turn, and then you go climbing up to the top of a hill before the second drop.. only to hit a trim brake. We crept over the 2nd hill and I only caught a little air. Far less than on either Zeus or Hades. And after that, Cyclops is basically over. It's maybe a 30 second ride. Cyclops Fail.

After that it was scorching hot, so I walked back to our campsite to meet up with my friends (who decided to take it easy in the morning), and we got on our swim suits and headed to the waterpark.

There's not too much to talk about over there... they have some decent slides, basically everything you expect at your standard waterpark. Nothing spectacular in terms of the actual slides. BUT... they do have the best attraction I experienced all day. Poseidon's Rage wavepool. We arrived at the pool and put our towels down, and I was so hot I literally ran to the pool to find the last of a few small waves floating to the edge. I was expecting your average wavepool... a bell rings, some waves start coming, and you do the "up, down, up, down" routine. WRONG. After about 5-10 minutes, we were standing in the calm water talking, and we hear a giant WHOOOOSHHHHHH. Everyone screams. I don't know if that was out of fear or delight. But I turned my head toward what I thought would be some normal waves.. to find a GIGANTIC wave roaring at us. I had to double-take, because I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I just remember thinking "wait a minute... that looks a lot bigger than..." and then it just hit me like a freight train, knocking me literally about 75 feet back toward the shore. It's simply amazing. The wave is literally about 10-15 feet in height and it just plows everyone backward. We stayed in that pool for over an hour enjoying one wave every 10 minutes or so. Fantastic.

Mt. Olympus certainly isn't my favorite park, but if you go in not expecting too much and just spend time with good people, it can be great. I had a wonderful day at the park and will most likely return at some point in the future. If nothing else, just to be raged on by Poseidon. :)

Please, please, please tell me you rode what is, for my money, THE best coaster in Wisconsin Dells. Please tell me you are saving the review of Avalanche now known as Hellcat for later. If not, I hope and pray you at least knew it was over at Timber Falls Adventure Golf. Great little coaster, it is. I, and about six other people, greatly favor it over anything at Mt. Olympus.

Sadly, I have never ventured to the Wisconsin Dells. (Even sadder considering my thesis topic was on indoor water parks and Wisconsin Dells is arguably the capital of indoor water park resorts). Someday I hope to make it out there. When I A) have some money for a vacation, B) have a girlfriend to go with, and most importantly, C) have vacation time from my job.

Sorry Terp, we only made it to Mt. Olympus. Did not ride Hellcat :( I knew it was there, but it's tough to convince 20 people that we should skip Mt. Olympus and go there instead. Maybe next time...

Guest Millennium

Timber Falls Adventure park. I will have to add that to my trip. And Hellcat has a 46 inch height requirement. Hmm my youngest is very close to 46, she might make it. :rolleyes:

Why did you roll your eyes? :unsure:

I have been to The Dells twice - once in 1964 and once in 1982. In '64, it was beautiful - boat rides, train rides, unique shops, great places to eat (Paul Bunyan's comes to mind). I really enjoyed the place. In '82, everything was commercialized - property built along the boat rides, ordinary shops, touist trap stuff. Had planned on staying a few days, but left after one boat ride. Had a much better time in Milwaukee on the way home. Now, I realize there were no amusement parks or water parks there back then (they may have been a water park in '82) but except for the coasters, I have absolutley no desire to return to this place. Maybe someone can convince me otherwise?

Timber Falls Adventure park. I will have to add that to my trip. And Hellcat has a 46 inch height requirement. Hmm my youngest is very close to 46, she might make it. :rolleyes:

Only Wooden Coaster that Makes all Left Turns.

• 3 weeks later...

Terpy-

My wife took a picture for you...

GEDC0190.jpg

A few quick notes:

The Mexican restaurant is still open.

The Hellcat name is not promoted very well. Only place I saw the name was on some shirts they were selling.

There are still signs that say this way to the Avalanche roller coaster.

With 1/2 inch heels on her sandals, my daughter could ride it. She commented that her posterior was off the seat.

Three of us preferred Hades over Hellcat, but the cat over all the other coasters at Olympus.

Yeah I was there yesterday Terpy and indeed the Mexican restaurant is still there. We didn't eat there but we did go in to check out a menu. But I do have to say I prefer Hades over Hellcat. I actually prefer Hades over Voyage. "In my opinion", I got more ejector air than I did on Voyage. My favorite part of the ride is right before you come out of the tunnel for the first time. You get that pop of ejector air before the turn around and its incredible.

Wisconsin Dells--you really know you need it,

Considering where the TV's become more of a wasteland;

Wisconsin Dells--especially come the summer,

When the heat can only drive your mind insane....

You've got to have yourself

some real fun;

Why need you have to take

medication?

Wisconsin Dells--credit all the waterparks

For giving you a reason just to get away;

Wisconsin Dells--a reason that you ought to

Start turning off the TV a little more....

And with the TV becoming

more predictable,

It only makes logical sense

just to turn it off....

Wisconsin Dells--that's the place you ought to head to,

Rather than Orlando, or even Branson;

Wisconsin Dells--I think you'll get to like them,

Once you start to discover the fun that they have....

Wisconsin Dells....

Wisconsin Dells....