NEW FOR 2011

See also Mr. Kinzel's most recently reported comments about Cedar Point's 2011 addition in:

Q: So I guess the recession sort of slowed down that thrill-ride timetable. What can you tell us about next year's thrill ride, and when is it likely to be announced?

A: Just backing up a little bit, the flume ride (Shoot the Rapids) was really due to be introduced last year, but the economy turned. Remember that in November of 2008 the banks crashed. We had a pretty good feeling it was going to be a bad year ... so we put that off for a year.

It's going to be a great ride. All thrill rides aren't coasters. It's going to be something that I think the teen market is really going to like.

We really plan on announcing that in the middle of August. That's when we have our season passes for next year. Not especially Cedar Point, but in other parks, the season pass business is so big, we try to get a jump.

http://www.sanduskyr...arket-will-thaw

http://www.KICentral...ndpost&p=390829

See also Mr. Kinzel's most recently reported comments about Cedar Point's 2011 addition in:

Q: So I guess the recession sort of slowed down that thrill-ride timetable. What can you tell us about next year's thrill ride, and when is it likely to be announced?

A: Just backing up a little bit, the flume ride (Shoot the Rapids) was really due to be introduced last year, but the economy turned. Remember that in November of 2008 the banks crashed. We had a pretty good feeling it was going to be a bad year ... so we put that off for a year.

It's going to be a great ride. All thrill rides aren't coasters. It's going to be something that I think the teen market is really going to like.

We really plan on announcing that in the middle of August. That's when we have our season passes for next year. Not especially Cedar Point, but in other parks, the season pass business is so big, we try to get a jump.

http://www.sanduskyr...arket-will-thaw

http://www.KICentral...ndpost&p=390829

Thanks for this info Terp.

It is kind of cool to hear that they have noticed the season pass product is a hit (duh), maybe we will see more perks with the pass on the 2011 outlook?

On different note,@ Go Browns, must i say One man's trash is another man's treasure. I found this link to be very useful as it was not ONLY about CP, but in fact a park just a bit further north, across the border, with a coaster by the name of Vortex that needs to be put to its grave. I just found it interesting is all, and wonder what is thought of those given speculation.

Going back to the CP topic, the link mentioned the park was missing a "top spin". No speculations from me as at this time, simply observing.

Guest Millennium

CP has enough flats! And all signs were pointing to a coaster, until he said "there are more to thrill rides than roller coasters".

Guest Millennium

I don't care what the ride is unless it's thrilling. Millennium, you said they have enough flat rides - don't they have enough roller coasters as well?

Have you been to CP yet? While they have a good number -- a good MODERN wooden coaster (Blue Streak does not count as modern) is something many people feel CP lacks.

Dick Kinzel wants to stay on top, and CP needs to keep adding coasters to do so.

Guest Millennium

I consider a "modern" wooden roller coaster a coaster built by a modern company, such as GCI, Intamin, or the Gravity Group. Old fashioned ones seem like regular out n backs to me, like Racer, Blue Streak, etc..

Maybe I shouldn't speak for everyone else, but a wood coaster built by any of the three companies I mentioned would definitely get me to come back to CP next year.

Maybe I shouldn't speak for everyone else, but a wood coaster built by any of the three companies I mentioned would definitely get me to come back to CP next year.

So if CP decided to relocate Big Dipper from GL, or bring back Cyclone you would not go back to CP next year?

It doesnt seems right. KI needs more rides before Cp. KI doesnt have very many and really only has a few great ones. Cp has A lot of great ones. Spread it out.

So adding rides like Behemoth, DB, I-305, and Intimidator at other CF parks over the past 2 years is NOT speading it out?

Going back to the CP topic, the link mentioned the park was missing a "top spin". No speculations from me as at this time, simply observing.

I noticed that too. I know where CP can get a GIANT top spin. And they wouldn't even have to pay for it, only for the relocation. Then again, CP already has a ferris wheel. cool.gif

To me, there are CP and KI are , well, were a 1-2 win in my book. Everything that they have been adding to other parks have not seemed, "record breaking" or "the first of it's kind" with the exception of DB trains being the first of it's kind in the U.S. I for one would be perfectly fine if CP does add some new-crazy-over-the-top-never-before-seen-thrilling-intense flat and then a great woody with a nice turraine hugging layout, similar to that of voyage, that would make up for the lack of SOB performance at KI and place it back in X-base to connect it from the end of of the mall to X-base.

If only dreams really did come true.:rolleyes:

Added bold for emphasis:

No, I still would. But I would PREFER a new woodie made by GCI or GG. End of discussion.

That is good since CP has: many other things to offer, and many other people to concern themselves than an enthusiast hinging their honored return on only 3 coaster manufacturers.

Have a nice day! smile.gif

^ So true.

Here in Erie, PA we have Waldameer Park.

It doesn't have the big, flashy rides (although Ravine Flyer II is fantastic) for the "bigger" kids, but it does have decent rides for all ages.

It has the old-time park feel to it with a combination of smells: cotton candy, candy apple, and popcorn. Only a small handful of parks have the same "feel" (i.e. Kennywood, Hershey, old KI, Knoebels etc.)

The atmosphere of all those parks make up for rides any day.

I noticed that too. I know where CP can get a GIANT top spin. And they wouldn't even have to pay for it, only for the relocation. Then again, CP already has a ferris wheel. cool.gif

[Great America already called dibs.](http://www.geaugalaketoday.com/Texas_Twister.htm)

Keep in mind, Dick Kinzel has said that the new ride will deliver a nice dose of nostalgia. Similar to Shoot the Rapids, look into the history of the park.

Kinzel has also said that the plans on keeping Cedar Point the "Coaster Capital of the World". With Magic Mountain having plans on building a new one, something tells me that the new addition WILL ME a coaster. Demond Drop has been up for sale for years prior to its removal, which is about right considering that Maverick was planned before the Dragster was even built. Don't assume that the new ride won't be a coster yet, a large amount of evidence points to a new coaster.

maybe it won't be a new coaster due to some new elements. CP has alot of First and unique elements in their coasters, I'm hoping it will be a coaster, and in fact i hope they build something thir13en'ish. That's just wishful thinking. I doubt it tho. I just wonder what do they have up their sleeve.

Dick Kinzel has also stated that the new ride will target the "thrill seeker". If that doesn't throw a big wrench at the coaster hopefuls, he followed through a couple weeks later by saying it will be "something I feel the teen market will really enjoy".

I don't think CP would market a coaster as for the "teen" market. If you ask me, Dick is trying to deflate the coaster hype so people aren't disappointed when a thrill ride like a true flat or something like a slingshot/vertigo is announced.