NEW FOR 2011

^Ever seen signs that say, you won't get wet, you'll get soaked?

I was just thinking that. It seems to be a natural saying for all major water attractions, they say things like, you will get wet, you may get soaked, or you won't get wet, you'll get soaked.

I checked out some videos of the new STR at CP and you don't just get wet, you practically take a bath in that thing.

I believe that they want to keep us confused so they will continue to shoot down all ideas of what it may be by saying things like "the park has been missing a top spin" and all great thrill rides aren't coasters. Just because they say all great rides aren't coasters doesn't mean that the new attraction will not be one.

no speculations... just simple observation.

There are facts on both sides of the argument:

Pro-Coaster: Early announcement, "bring back memories", "out on the beach".

Anti-Coaster: No footers, "target thrill seekers", "teen market", hard to picture the exact layout of a coaster in the area w/out lots and lots of work

I still say with big ole Dick saying it's going to target thrill seekers and be something the teen market will enjoy, that, that is more than likely true, and that's a couple major points against it being a coaster.

There are facts on both sides of the argument:

Pro-Coaster: Early announcement, "bring back memories", "out on the beach".

Anti-Coaster: No footers, "target thrill seekers", "teen market", hard to picture the exact layout of a coaster in the area w/out lots and lots of work

I still say with big ole Dick saying it's going to target thrill seekers and be something the teen market will enjoy, that, that is more than likely true, and that's a couple major points against it being a coaster.

Right on the nail... The fact is that with minimal clues, there is no room to say at this time what it is. Once some footers get placed, or foundation, then and only then will we know what we are dealing with.

August 1993, Mill Race was still operating as was the Main Midway Carousel next to it. Come September 1st, construction begins with tearing out Mill Race and "carefully" moving the carousel, followed by footings being poured. By April Raptor was completed and testing. Trust me, no construction yet and hard to picture layouts can not rule out a coaster at this stage. If you stood on CP's main midway 17 years ago, you could not see how Raptor would fit.

I cannot wait to see what Cedar Point has up their sleeve for next year. I really wish it was a plug and play woody, but I would be satisfied with a one of a kind thrill ride. I am a coaster junkie, but at the same time I love a thrilling ride on about anything.

I checked out some videos of the new STR at CP and you don't just get wet, you practically take a bath in that thing.

No. From someone who has ridden STR, you barely get wet. The last drop is the only thing that gets you at all wet.

No. From someone who has ridden STR, you barely get wet. The last drop is the only thing that gets you at all wet.

Coming from someone who has also ridden STR, in the very front seat, you do get SOAKED. Now if you ride in any other seat, I agree you do not get absolutely soaked, but you do get a very good splash, especially with the jets being on the last drop.

From someone who has ridden STR, you barely get wet. The last drop is the only thing that gets you at all wet.

^ Sorry but, this makes no sense. You can ride it and not get wet, until the last drop? Then you get wet?

If you sit in the front, you get soaked. If you sit toward the back- not so much.

And how wet you get also depends on who is using the water cannons & their timing.

EDIT- Also see Jasper above wink.gif

Looks like a starflyer (or two or four) is the major front runner.

Pretty much fits every clue, all of Dick's and fits perfectly with Tony and Tylers emphasis on "Fun". Funtime makes them.

I think that the StarFlyer looks awesome, but it's capacity seems low. 600pph?

^ The pictures are definately OM at CP. Tou can see the water tower & PT in the third pic. Also- OM at CP was introduced in 1981- just like the ad mentions.

I heard rumors it was possibly for sale, or, that it was going to be moved to another location in the park.

I hope that this is not true. I would certainly leave a hole in CP's flat ride lineup.

I agree, it also puts a hole in the theory that Ocean Motion is headed to DD's spot. I guess it could move to DD's spot, stay up for sale for 3-4 years, and either sell or move to a sister park.

If it were to sell and ship out by the end of the year, I would really be puzzled as to what is going where Demon was though. The spot has been void all season long, presumably waiting to assist with the 2011 attraction.

^ The pictures are definately OM at CP. Tou can see the water tower & PT in the third pic. Also- OM at CP was introduced in 1981- just like the ad mentions.

I heard rumors it was possibly for sale, or, that it was going to be moved to another location in the park.

I hope that this is not true. I would certainly leave a hole in CP's flat ride lineup.

Well, ITAL Intl has used pictures of CP's rides before (Chaos, for one) when the CP model wasn't the one for sale.

However, this locks it down for me:

Ride in excellent condition. Fiberglass on boat re-painted 2002. New bores & pins for columns & sweeps in 2008. New boat frame & lap bar system rebuilt 2009. New hydraulic motor frames & rebuilt hydraulic system 2010.

These years all match up with what has been done to CP's ride. I certainly hope that they have plans to install something similar in the future, as a ride like Ocean Motion has lots of life left in it, and could easily have been relocated to somewhere else in the park.

And this:

Availability:

Immediately

That is interesting! I wonder if we'll see Ocean Motion closed before the end of the season?

I wouldn't cry if Ocean Motion left. To put it lightly, it was not my favorite pirate ship ever.

The program was pretty tame, and until tonight, I didn't realize that it was a hydraulic drive unit. Dave (Althoff Jr, that is) explained that the hydraulic unit is over near the Coral Courtyard and transfers power to the drive unit under the ship. It may make more sense for them to buy a newer, electric drive unit and place it within the new development that all that comes with moving the old one.

As Dave explained it:

One potential problem with Ocean Motion is that it is not self-contained. It's a hydraulic-drive ride with the hydraulic plant located out in the picnic grove. Could Cedar Point be considering replacing the big Huss ride with a smaller, self-contained Chance ride, which may, in fact, be an electric-drive version?