NEW FOR 2011

Guest rcfreak339

I still think it's odd that this "gift" was just a box of cookies...Why at other parks was it a announcement about a new kids area themed to snoopy, when Cedar Point's was a box of cookies? Odd.

At Dorney Park Snoopy was given a new area for next year...

EDIT:

Why, oh why, must a discussion about a ride that is not going to be built by Intamin lead to so much Intamin-bashing?

I have said what I have said, but 2 of the coasters in my top 5 are Intamin. I enjoy them as well.

Why, oh why, must a discussion about a ride that is not going to be built by Intamin lead to so much Intamin-bashing?

-- Beatle, who is very interested in what CP will be adding and who enjoys many Intamin rides.

But, the important question, Mr. Beatle, is do you like cookies?

Terp, who misses Bakery, and its wonderful cookies

At Dorney Park Snoopy was given a new area for next year...

But still Snoopy's present was...a box of cookies!

Guest rcfreak339

Uh, at other parks it was also a box of cookies. Why did you think it was an announcement?

I didn't think it was an announcement at all, I just find it amazing that everyone made a big hoopla out of it. I just thought they might have gotten a bit more then just cookies and a little parade.

I wasn't expecting an announcement today. Snoopy's Birthday and the announcement of a new thrill ride are geared toward different segments of the park's patrons. And it only makes sense that management would want two dates, each of which are designed to draw more guests to the park, as opposed to doing both on the same day. And I join Terpy in being surprised that the cookies were free.

Yeah, and I like Corvettes too, but that doesnt mean for a second I cannot say with conviction that I think Chevy sucks!! FYI, Maverick is my #1 Steel and Millie is number 2, but I can not and will not avoid calling a cat a cat.

We need to watch what we say, lest screamscape may begin posting rumors that Chevy has entered the ride manufacturing business. LOL!

--Beatle, who, for what its worth, drives a Ford

... and the price tag on their coasters is always through the roof.

From what I've heard that's not true at all. Cedar Point goes to B&M, Intamin, and whoever else and says we want a 300' tall coaster what do you have and how much does it cost. Millennium Force is an Intamin and not a B&M basically for one reason, it was cheaper. The price tag on Intamin coaster specifically isn't through the roof, the price tag on 300', 400', coasters with both a lift hill and lsm launches are expensive no matter who builds them.

... and the price tag on their coasters is always through the roof.

From what I've heard that's not true at all. Cedar Point goes to B&M, Intamin, and whoever else and says we want a 300' tall coaster what do you have and how much does it cost. Millennium Force is an Intamin and not a B&M basically for one reason, it was cheaper. The price tag on Intamin coaster specifically isn't through the roof, the price tag on 300', 400', coasters with both a lift hill and lsm launches are expensive no matter who builds them.

Compare several companies they could work with other than B&M or Intamin... Geauga Lake's Thunderhawk was $10,000,000, The Voyage was $8,500,000, and The Prowler was $8,000,000. Compared to 4 coasters that costs more than $20,000,000 a piece, these alternatives seem much more light on company budget...

And in Cedar Fair's mindset, light on budget = light on advertising. People will come for a B&M hypercoaster, but for an SLC? A Premier family coaster? In some regards, I'm sure there's merit to that thought process. However, Cedar Fair forgets the small, compact, family rides. It's either a record-breaking 200+ foot beast, or a new kids area. You'll never see a ride like Backlot Stunt Coaster at Cedar Point. And you know what? I think Cedar Point really needs something like that...

And, I believe Cedar Fair underestimated Prowler. They probably thought, "Eh, we got a small park, let's just give it a little wooden coaster. It'll keep season pass sales up and maybe draw in a few new people." Lo and behold, the "Best New Coaster of 2009." Until that happened, I doubt they would've even given a CGI woodie a second thought when it came to a bigger park like Cedar Point or Kings Island. I truly believe that Cedar Point's plans may be in the process of being edited right now to include a wooden coaster, and a really ridiculous marketing scheme to amp it up.

Compare several companies they could work with other than B&M or Intamin... Geauga Lake's Thunderhawk was $10,000,000, The Voyage was $8,500,000, and The Prowler was $8,000,000. Compared to 4 coasters that costs more than $20,000,000 a piece, these alternatives seem much more light on company budget...

Yeah that might be true but that's not the point I was making. You said Intamins were expensive and I was pointing out that they are actually cheaper for the type of ride(tallest,fastest,etc..) that CP wanted.

Yeah that might be true but that's not the point I was making. You said Intamins where expensive and I was pointing out that they are actually cheaper for the type of ride(tallest,fastest,etc..) that CP wanted.

And you're right by saying that. Diamondback costs $22,000,000 and Millennium Force costs marginally more, but I think most can agree that the days of record breaking rides are on hold at this point. Now it's all about value.