NEW FOR 2011

Wood coasters may cost far less than steel coasters in first cost, but a wooden coaster, over time, requires far more frequent and extensive maintenance. On the other hand, a wooden coaster, absent fire or storm, properly maintained, is essentially forever...while a steel coaster WILL eventually suffer metal fatigue. The only question is when, not if.

You'll never see a ride like Backlot Stunt Coaster at Cedar Point. And you know what? I think Cedar Point really needs something like that...

Yes, someone who agrees with me! This family friendly coaster size is one that I think CP is lacking in - I much prefer the AE, Flight Deck, Racer, BLSC, Beast lineup to the CP options.

Wood coasters may cost far less than steel coasters in first cost, but a wooden coaster, over time, requires far more frequent and extensive maintenance. On the other hand, a wooden coaster, absent fire or storm, properly maintained, is essentially forever...while a steel coaster WILL eventually suffer metal fatigue. The only question is when, not if.

With steel coasters, is it possible to replace sections of track that have suffered from too much stress?

With steel coasters, is it possible to replace sections of track that have suffered from too much stress?

I'm sure if the same manufacturer is still around in some form, or someone is willing to place their own work into it, and risk whatever that may entail in a faltering steel ride...

Wicked Twister?

sorry for the double post, but i found it interesting that this is still posted on screamscape.

well, at least at the time of this post.

(8/5/10) We've heard from a few readers that Cedar Point has set up a giant present box addressed to Snoopy near Planet Snoopy with instructions not to open it until August 8th. As predicted, this should be next year's new attraction announcement. While the Stratosoar rumor is the strongest right now, it's funny how the coaster rumor keeps popping up. Is it just a fanboy dream or a deliberate attempt at misinformation spearheaded by The Point? Perhaps a little of both… and maybe… just maybe… there could be some truth to it. To help keep their record intact, I have heard a new rumor claiming that the park just mightadd a new kiddie coaster to the Planet Snoopy area as well since SFMM is adding a kiddie coaster next year. Gotta keep that coaster count up you know.

http://screamscape.com/html/cedar_point.htm

The latest CP Funtimes has this little tidbit

What's New in 2011?

We're finalizing our exciting plans for our 2011 season, and you can be the first to find out all the good news!

We're letting the secret out on our Facebook page in the near future. So if you'd like to follow along with clues, tidbits and other tender morsels of information, make sure you visit us on Facebook for all the details. You never know what we'll post or when we'll spill the beans

^yea, just look at it this way (i know this isn't Cedar Fair, but...) today, el toro at six flags great adventure finally got it's one millionth rider, it's been open to the public for four years, Diamondback was opened a little over a year when it gave it's 2 millionth rider.

... on second thought, is that because el toro was built by intamin, or is it because it's in new jersey? :unsure:

You got to be kidding me...

1 millionth rider this season... :blink::lol:

^yea, just look at it this way (i know this isn't Cedar Fair, but...)

... on second thought, is that because el toro was built by intamin, or is it because it's in new jersey? :unsure:

Why are people hung up on who makes a ride? Majority of visitors to a park have no idea who builds rides all they know it is fun and ride. Honestly the Gp for the most part does not care who builds it. Ask any unsuspecting patron at KI who made The Beast or even DB and I bet the answer you receive is KI.

No, but the GP DOES care if the ride they want to ride is open to ride when they are there to ride it. I bet if you ask members of the GP who makes TTD, they may not know who makes it, but they will know to say "Oh thats the piece of s**t thats always broken and I never get to ride it". That also affects riders per year/life of the ride, which lends to the statement TH13TEEN made in jest.

Guest Millennium

I for one am hoping that it won't be a Star Flyer. I would probably ride it once opening day then it would just be there. It seems random to put a giant swing at CP, but I would not guess against it.

^yea, just look at it this way (i know this isn't Cedar Fair, but...) today, el toro at six flags great adventure finally got it's one millionth rider, it's been open to the public for four years, Diamondback was opened a little over a year when it gave it's 2 millionth rider.

LOL

^yea, just look at it this way (i know this isn't Cedar Fair, but...)

Why are people hung up on who makes a ride? Majority of visitors to a park have no idea who builds rides all they know it is fun and ride. Honestly the Gp for the most part does not care who builds it. Ask any unsuspecting patron at KI who made The Beast or even DB and I bet the answer you receive is KI.

A very good question! A good ride is a good ride and a poor ride is a poor ride, regardless of who makes it. And many disagree about which rides are good and which ones are poor.

--Beatle, who is not a fanboy of any company

Have you ridden any GCI's? :P IMO, they're the ideal company. Reliable, relatively inexpensive, not to intense but not to mild, and just plain fun. That's what I would like to see at Cedar Point in 2011. A beach side GCI woodie. Yes, yes. I would like that a lot. :D

Guest Millennium

GCI's relatively inexpensive? Prowler cost 8 million dollars...with a fairly basic layout!

Legend -- 3M

Raven- 2M

:lol: If I were running an amusement park, I would consider B&M the "ideal" company, but I prefer Intamin myself.

Have you ridden any GCI's? :P IMO, they're the ideal company. Reliable, relatively inexpensive, not to intense but not to mild, and just plain fun. That's what I would like to see at Cedar Point in 2011. A beach side GCI woodie. Yes, yes. I would like that a lot. :D

I have enjoyed the GCI coasters that I have ridden. I really like their trains. But they are not among my absolute favorites.

Guest Millennium

$8 million is a lot of money for a roller coaster? Wasn't Diamondback $14 million more? I'd much rather spend money on a fun, small wooden coaster than something big that Cedar Point already has. Enough with the big, let's go for fun and mild. :)

Yes...and Diamondback is 230 feet tall...and 2000 feet longer in length...

Not to mention a steel roller coaster that is 100 feet is almost always more expensive than a wooden one.

well, in all fairness, i didn't know that it was the millionth rider this season, the facebook post from great adventure didn't specify that, and since i don't know much about that park, i just assumed that it was 'in the ride's lifetime.' :)

This is El Toro's fifth season. To even think the ride just got to 1,000,000 rides in five seasons in the busy, busy Northeast is comical indeed.

see, i kind of thought that, but when i thought about some intamin's track records, plus how difficult it is to run a park in new jersey, i really didn't give it a second thought. :)