NEW FOR 2011

Edit: I was thinking...perhaps the possible purchase of a Wind Seeker that they were talking in the article about, was not for Cedar Point, as they said, but for Cedar Fair...Canada's Wonderland? From CW's hints it looks like it may be one...perhaps the Sandusky Register was thinking that the purchase was meant for Cedar Point, while it could have been for another park. Which means there's still hope for CP 2011! :)

Jackson, who keep his fanboy dreams alive...for at least the next 5 days...

I don't understand why Funtime Group would be suing Cedar Point. Did CP have a contract with Funtime, this quote says no. I always thought that the one that created the violation was liable not the consumer. Terpy, would you please share some wisdom here.

“Now, not only do we not get the contract, now we’ve got to get into litigation,” Mirfin said. “The ones that we’ll be suing will be Cedar Point and not Mondial.”

Is this because Mondial is not voilating Funtime's US patent by building the ride in Holland?

If Cedar Point really wanted to generate interest in a ride, lower the rates earlier in the year so it is more affordable to more people. Sorry I just do not feel like spending close to $50 dollars for parking and admission. We should have Obama take over amusement parks so regulate the rates of admission.

:o

Oh, I love comments...

I'm really disappointed in Funtime. There was no reason to do an interview with the SR about this. Of course the paper is going to run the story, and more power to them for breaking the news, but isn't it a little taboo for Funtime to disclose the plans of parks if you are a manufacturer? Even if there are grounds for a lawsuit, why let the cat out of the bag for everyone to see before the announcement?

hmmmmmm. I don't know if I'm hoping that the swing goes to Canada's Wonderland or Cedar Point. On one hand I think the ride sounds fun and I probably will never go to Canada's Wonderland. But on the other hand I would prefer to have something a little more amazing. I don't know I'l be happy either way.

Yes, I have read the article. The Sandusky Register screws up like that a lot, mixing Cedar Point and Cedar Fair would be a small mistake compared to some others. I'm saying that from my understanding, when it comes to new rides, Cedar Fair usually makes the decisions, not the individual park. So unlike in the article where they said that Cedar Point was looking into buying a Star Flyer, it could have been Cedar Fair looking into buying a Star Flyer. And if that's the case, I think it's more likely to go to Canada's Wonderland then Cedar Point, based off of the teasers.

Unless of course, Cedar Fair's putting a Star Flyer in both Canada's Wonderland and Cedar Point, in which case I'd loose any little respect have left for them.

Yes, I have read the article. The Sandusky Register screws up like that a lot, mixing Cedar Point and Cedar Fair would be a small mistake compared to some others. I'm saying that from my understanding, when it comes to new rides, Cedar Fair usually makes the decisions, not the individual park. So unlike in the article where they said that Cedar Point was looking into buying a Star Flyer, it could have been Cedar Fair looking into buying a Star Flyer. And if that's the case, I think it's more likely to go to Canada's Wonderland then Cedar Point, based off of the teasers.

I think that is the epitome of altering facts to fit individual desires.

Unless of course, Cedar Fair's putting a Star Flyer in both Canada's Wonderland and Cedar Point, in which case I'd loose any little respect have left for them.

You're going to lose all respect for Cedar Fair if they do what, find a cheap (<$5 million) way to put up a 400 ft, world record breaking, flat? If you ask me, in these troubled times, it seems like a pretty smart route to take. They have to be fiscally responsible at some point. Of course, if by lose respect you mean be really upset they didn't build what you wanted.

You're going to lose all respect for Cedar Fair if they do what, find a cheap (<$5 million) way to put up a 400 ft, world record breaking, flat? If you ask me, in these troubled times, it seems like a pretty smart route to take. They have to be fiscally responsible at some point. Of course, if by lose respect you mean be really upset they didn't build what you wanted.

I'm gonna have to agree with GrandsonofBeast here Jackson. You would really loose all respect for CF if they install these flats in both CP and CW? I would not. And I certainly hope your just kidding... And yes, we all know that CF has a tendency to lie when it comes to teasing us about new rides(Gee, See, Eye/Aquatrax last year anyone?). But the point is they don't have to tell us anything. I think this is fun to just sit back and discuss the new possible ride. But I am surely not going to loose respect for CF.

As for the question asked of me earlier, I add, from the cited article:

..."It's almost like Mondial's plagiarizing our idea," said Mirfin, director of the Funtime Group and owner of Cottingham Agencies, which holds the patent for StarFlyer. "It makes us very, very angry."...

almost.

almost.

He could have used any word but he chose almost. Not that they did. But, almost.

...Mirfin said his company, which has built 22 StarFlyers so far, thought it had a deal to build one for Cedar Point after amusement park executives flew to Orlando, Fla., several months ago to look at a StarFlyer at the Magical Midway.

Mirfin said his company planned to build a StarFlyer for Cedar Point that would be 400 feet tall — even bigger than the StarFlyer at Prater Park in Vienna, which stands 384 feet tall....

"thought it had a deal"

And perhaps started building it?

Detrimental reliance?

Intentional interference with contractual relations?

Contract action, not patent infringement?

Hmmm....that would explain an action against Cedar Point and Mondial, as opposed to just the latter...

Terp, who thinks sometimes one must have context to understand...and see der point.

I think that is the epitome of altering facts to fit individual desires.

How so? I said that Cedar Fair usually makes decisions on what park gets what ride, which is from my understanding, true. As to anything pertaining to the Sandusky Register Article, I'm not altering the facts, I'm questioning the accuracy of it to start with. And with the comment about it being more likely to go to CW and not CP, that's my viewpoint on it, I don't claim for it to be fact.

As HTCO said, I was joking. I'm just saying I would think it unwise of them to put in two of the exact same rides at parks which, according to Terpy at least, share some mutual market. Not to mention I think it'd be unwise of them to add a flat ride when SFMM will claim the Most Roller Coasters title next year. I wouldn't loose all respect for them, that was kind of a nod to all of the people who make outrageous claims like "I'll never buy a season pass again if they taer down SOB!" and such. :)

How tall was Paramount's Kings Island's Drop Zone?

And how tall was Paramount's Kings Dominion's Drop Zone?

And does not each claim a record of its own?

And how can Magic Mountain claim a record by merely tying with Cedar Point?

And do records matter to new management of Six Flags Entertainment Corporation...unless they are financial performance records?

Terp, not Socrates but user of a certain method...

How tall was Paramount's Kings Island's Drop Zone?

And how tall was Paramount's Kings Dominion's Drop Zone?

And does not each claim a record of its own?

And how can Magic Mountain claim a record by merely tying with Cedar Point?

And do records matter to new management of Six Flags Entertainment Corporation...unless they are financial performance records?

Terp, not Socrates but user of a certain method...

Sorry, I thought Magic Mountain would have 18 with DanceCoaster. My bad. :)

How so? I said that Cedar Fair usually makes decisions on what park gets what ride, which is from my understanding, true. As to anything pertaining to the Sandusky Register Article, I'm not altering the facts, I'm questioning the accuracy of it to start with. And with the comment about it being more likely to go to CW and not CP, that's my viewpoint on it, I don't claim for it to be fact.

The article talks about Cedar Point. Again, yes it is possible that they made a mistake and meant the whole company and therefore another park, not likely, but possible. They go on to say a 400 ft Star Flyer was planned. It would be a world record. IMO, it is not too much of a stretch for that last shadow of a doubt (them meaning Cedar Fair) to be cancelled out by the world record statement. Yes, there may be two, but certainly at least one (the record) was/is headed to Cedar Point.

As HTCO said, I was joking. I'm just saying I would think it unwise of them to put in two of the exact same rides at parks which, according to Terpy at least, share some mutual market. Not to mention I think it'd be unwise of them to add a flat ride when SFMM will claim the Most Roller Coasters title next year. I wouldn't loose all respect for them, that was kind of a nod to all of the people who make outrageous claims like "I'll never buy a season pass again if they taer down SOB!" and such. smile.gif

They are around 7 hours apart. It's not like we are talking about an attraction that people will drive hours for anyways. Yes, if they invest $60M in two $30M coasters at parks so close in the same year it may be a little odd, but we're talking about, relatively, a cheap ride here and something that will still draw an audience. I like the move (moves) all the way around.

And that stupid "most coasters" record is really ticking me off. I like Dick, believe it or not (did I just say that?), but this "gotta hold the record" thing is so silly. Mean Streak is going to hurt someone and Disaster is such a huge beach-blocking building out on the beach... and what? Are we going to throw up a couple of unwarranted kiddie coasters just for a record that may not help attendance at all? If you ask me, the park would be fine ripping out a few, taking the total down and putting up quality coasters/flats/dark rides.

Exactly. I would visit Busch Gardens Williamsburg with its four incredible adult coasters and two unbelievable dark rides than a park like Cedar Point anyday. And no, it's not just because I tend to disagree with Cedar Fair, or that I've been to Cedar Point so many times. What I'm saying is, that place is quantity over quality - "We have seventeen coasters! Some are kids coasters, some are awful, some are unpopular, some are more obstructions than fun attractions... And we don't have any, you know, other rides. And we don't have any classic dark rides, or worthwhile eating establishments... but you want coasters?! We've got 'em!"

Until you've been to a park like Busch Gardens you just won't understand. I want to buy food there, because you can go to Italy and have fresh eggplant parmesean, or you can go to Germany and enter the Festhaus and have sausage (as in, not Panda Express). It makes you want to spend money and sit next to an Italian fountain and eat your garlic bread. And yes, they only have four coasters - four coasters that are, in my opinion, the best at what they do - one of the best inverts, the best dive machine, the best hyper, and an incredible Arrow. So it's like, you can either have seventeen roller coasters that average out to be "so-so," or you can have four INCREDIBLE ones, great shopping, great dining, unbelievable shows, and a beautiful setting.

It seems so obvious. Apparently, it isn't.

Guest Millennium

^No other rides? ...Are you kidding? They have tons of flat rides, kiddie rides, and water rides. Other than that...I guess I agree with you..

Those clues are getting weird. The latest clue on Facebook shows a picture of what appears to be a couple strolling on the beach. If you click it you will be taken to a youtube video from 1944 showing a singer named Nick Lucas ( never heard of him) singing a song called Side by Side.

And I'd tend to agree to except for such wonderful things as Cedar Downs...

And that I really don't understand peoples' fascination with Busch Gardens Williamsburg if they've been to Busch Gardens Tampa...but either is far, far superior to Kings Dominion.

Then again, as much as I like Walt Disney World, I far, far prefer Disneyland...the park so small that even Six Flags once made fun of it, advertising all their parks as:

Bigger than Disneyland, and closer to home.*

*Except Astroworld. (their asterisk, not mine...)

Side by side...giggle. This IS getting good.

Perhaps the proposed swings are two-seaters. I have seen those on swings before, and it would double the capacity!

GYK, who doesn't understand others' fascination with Busch Gardens Tampa, and who saw it as an awkwardly-laid-out, strangely-themed "evil twin" of the Virginia park, perhaps because the Northern one is the one he was first acquainted with. But when it comes to Katonga... Wow.