Safe Height Restrictions?

I'm just making sure - even though it does say on the website that it's safe - but I was looking at Holiday World's ride restrictions on rides like Paul Reveres Midnight Ride and Scarecrow Scrambler. Their restrictions are 36". My sister is 36" and is 4 years old, and very lightweight. Is it okay for her to ride - just making sure. Because Kings Islands' restrictions on rides like that is 40"-42". Just wondering if it is safe, and why do you think they have totally different restrictions?

Paul Reveres Midnight Ride at HW is a different model than the Monster at KI. It is fairly more intense and fun than the Monster, IMHO. The Kochs at Holiday World put a major empasis on rider safety; only one guests death has ever been reported at the park. A woman on the Raven did not follow by safety instructions and fell out.

Alas, whatever the ride restrictions are they should be very, very safe. And on that particular ride I have seen guests tiptoe to meet the height requirement. Needless to say, they we're perfectly fine. (Disclaimer: Although I do not promote any riders whom do not meet safety regulations of a ride to ride one)

Just wondering if it is safe, and why do you think they have totally different restrictions?

I'm sure the ride is safe, but, if you do not feel that the height restriction is acceptable, do not let her ride it.

Different ride manufacturers have their own height restrictions as do different states. The operator of the ride has to follow those rules. If they didn't, the resulting litigation if a accident occurred could be business threatening.

This also applies to the waterslides - some of the heights for them are 36"! I don't feel like my sister would be safe on one of those, due to holding on.

Which reminds me a question I would like to know. Why are restrictions based off of height instead of WEIGHT? Such as me riding Diamondback...it freaks the crap out of my because I'm so small. But my height doesn't make any difference. Why is it like that?

The safety features, such as lap bars, are engineered to keep people from falling out of a ride. For those lap bars to be effective, they are to be put in such a position consistant with many people's body parts (i.e. arms, chest, etc.). With a smaller person, the position of the body to the lap bar is different and thus less effective.

The same goes for children and car seats.

A seatbelt for an adult goes across their chest and waist. For smaller children not in a booster seat, the belt will go across their neck and legs.

I was looking at Holiday World's ride restrictions on rides like Paul Reveres Midnight Ride and Scarecrow Scrambler. Their restrictions are 36". My sister is 36" and is 4 years old, and very lightweight. Is it okay for her to ride - just making sure. Because Kings Islands' restrictions on rides like that is 40"-42".

I'm not sure where you're getting your information. KI's Scrambler's minimum height requirement is 36", the same as Scarecrow Scrambler. Monster is 40" so you were correct on that one. At both parks, people of your sister's height are required to ride with an adult, so that helps too.

My daughter has ridden Scrambler and Monster since she was 3. She's very skinny and has had no problems on these types of rides.

Basically Holiday World has height limits on the lower side of the average, while Kings Island has the restrictions on the upper side.

My daughter is tiny for her age. She loves Holiday World.

What you need to look out for is if she can not hold on. Some rides require you to either be able to sit upright or hold on. The basic double tube rides she will be between someone's legs which will help her be secure.