The Crypt

bscott400800

Yes. A HUSS Top Spin is a staple at most theme parks, and you've doubtlessly seen one in action.

huss.jpg

Ours, though is the world's only Giant Top Spin - it holds a dozen or so more people, and is about double as high - a maximum height of 80 feet. The manufacturer, the ride's enormous size, and a few years of extreme wear-and-tear beyond the ride's original intention has caused it to run a program that only flips twice, and is quite tame compared to smaller, more aerodynamic, acrobatic Top Spins.

However, you absolutely should ride it. As I said, it's over pretty quickly, but the queue line is worth the wait alone! The ride used to be themed to the film Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, and it still shows. Even in the ride chamber, you'll see a gigantic goddess on the wall, and a volcano underneath the ride as you flip backwards. It's not overly thrilling, but it is intense, and it's a fun ride!

Give it a chance!

I agree, you should definitely give it a chance. Especially since you did not experience it as Tomb Raider: The Ride, and won't have the comparison to make, you'll enjoy it more than most of the people on this board do.

And yes the line is probably the best one at Kings Island.

I've told this story for years, but I shall tell it (two versions) again:

a. For years and years I listened to all-knowing (so I thought) tell me how scary Great Adventure was, how filthy it was, how poorly operated it was, and I didn't go. I was well over 40 before I finally went...and if you read here much at all you know that that place is a place that truly takes me to my happy place. I wish I had never listened to everyone I talked to who said it was not worth my time.

b. For years and years, wise 'intellectual' friends told me how fashionable it was to not like Disney, what practices Disney engaged in to get money from their guests, Disney's corporate dominance, etc., etc. Finally, the year before I turned 44, a friend FINALLY took me to the Florida parks. Which I immediately fell in love with. And that was before I made it to Disneyland.

Moral of the story: Always, always find out for yourself. I love The Georgia Cyclone and Tremors above all other wooden coasters I have ever ridden, and Maverick above all coasters I have ridden. And find a special place for the coaster that always makes me, Volcano: The Blast Coaster. But that doesn't mean you should decide not to ride other coasters I despise merely because I do (such as the Zamperla flyers). Find out for yourself. 'Everyone's' likes and dislikes may not be yours.

And the day will come when there is no Crypt. How will you feel if you never rode it when you could have?

I have to agree with the Terpinator. It's one you really should ride, because no matter what anyone else tells you, your experience will be different. Personally, I can't stand it (I generally dislike going upside down), but I'm glad I gave it a couple of shots before I passed final judgment on it. The regret after a ride you didn't enjoy is small compared to the regret of never trying a ride at your home park that you may end up loving, especially since you never know when its plug will be pulled.

Edited to complete a sentence that mysteriously wasn't completed (edit in italics).

I'm still surprised the plug hasn't been pulled already, but I do enjoy a ride on the world's largest indoor ferris wheel.

Give it a try! Then again, I'm probably partial to it because I worked on it a few times last summer when I was sent there from Beast.

One thing I think The Crypt suffers from is a lack of atmosphere. I know this is just a grumpy enthusiast talking, but the ride is called The Crypt. It's already got a dark, mysterious queue line. First timers don't know what kind of ride it is, and their friends doubtlessly have them even more worried by calling it a roller coaster and mentioning flames, water, darkness, etc. And in my opinion, the one thing that ruins the atmosphere? The employees. Perhaps the ride feels like a joke because they treat it as one.

They make jokes about the ride, as you said, while you're in line. I often have them do the safety speil in a baby voice or a fake accent, projected through the ride chamber while the people checking harnesses are gossiping, shouting over the heads of row 1 to talk about so-and-so and how she totally is going out with the op from Delirium. I'm sure they and their ride crew find it hilarious, but as someone who appreciates the ride (and who remembers how dramatic and scary it can be for first-timers) it's a shame. It's one of the few things I've ever contacted Guest Relations about, actually. I'm not trying to be a kill-joy, but the ride is called The Crypt; there was a time when its real weapon was surprise and immersion. Returning those simple elements would actually go a long way in improving the ride, and the fact that its the employees ruining it is sad. On Diamondback, or Drop Zone, who cares. But on The Crypt? There's a time and place.

Sure the ride is kind of a joke compared to its former self, but the employees make it even moreso, and it bothers me.

Hey GoodYellowCorn, I couldnt agree more.. me and my Wife rode the Crypt for the first time since it has been converted over from Tomb Rider the Ride and I just wanna say, I couldnt me more dissapointed. The Theming was so much better when it was TR. They had the big door that slide in place and it told a big story about the Ride, then you entered and There was some thrill and charm to it. Now they leave all the doors open, Replaced the buddah looking thing with the ridiculas looking Bat thing and in the front of the ride where all the theming behind the story was, theres just a big black wall. You can even see a Desk and table and ride op maintnance stuff off to the left on the floor. So Very Dissapointing. :(

The queue isnt as good as it once was, its way more lighted up, half the props are gone, you can see the ride from the first chamber because the doors are gone, The Bat is the dumbest thing I have ever seen, and just growls. The ride itself is absolutly terrible, I rode it 3 times every trip when it was TR:TR. Then when they changed it, I was a bit dissapointed, but it still wasnt too bad, now the whole ride is ruined. It seriously is a kids ride now. Avatar is just as thrilling as it is.

Dbfan, who rode it for the first time in 3 years yesterday, and was more dissapointed than he thought he would be.

I told my husband I want to ride everything in the park tomorrow (except for the wee rides). His response, " Even Crypt? *sigh* No" :lol:

If you've never been on it, go for it. It's always good to try out a ride you've never been on. But for those of us who remember it from the glory days, meh. It's good for a breeze and a break from the sun.

Methinks the money that went towards the three new "residents" in the former preshow chamber (which adds up to over $7 grand) should have gone towards sprucing up the interiors of the queue...

If you are referring to the animatronic demon bat and the two other demon things in the back, then i am pretty sure that those are former Haunt/Fearfest props that the park just decided to add to the ride. If that is the case then the only thing that the park "paid" for, was the new wiring to control The Bat.

Hey Grandsonofbeast,Thats the Point dude. If you would have rode this ride 3 or 4 years ago like most of us here did, then you'd realize exactly how bad it is now. If ya Like it now, Kudos, Im happy for ya bro. But just know that once upon a time, it was SO Much better..

see, that's our problem, we rode it in the past, so we are automatically comparing it to what it once was, i still enjoy riding the crypt, but so many people went into it and were fed up because past experiences got in the way of seeing how the ride experience truly is.

last wendesday me and my family met up with one of my mom's friends who was there with her husband and son, i rode the crypt with them and all three of them loved it.

it's just that some of us members on here have outlandish ideas for the ride to bring it back to it's tomb raider experience, but it just can't be done. (i.e. water effects)