My First Trip to Holiday World

markr

Well, I finally made it to Holiday World. My friends have been on my back for I don't know how long to give this park a try. I drove down yesterday with Brian ( Raptorguy) and Derek. What can I say? Holiday World lived up to all of my expectations and then some. I am not going to babble on with a chronological report of my trip as that would take pages and pages. I will simply divide my report into several sections.

1. The rides.

a. Coasters-Although I prefer the steel to the wooden coasters, Raven, Legend and Voyage were a blast. Speed and quick, sudden turns are the name of the game on those coasters. I was astounded at how disorienting Voyage can be-I bet it packs a punch at night!

b. Dark rides-absolutely loved Gobbler Getaway, the interactive ride in which you shoot up thanksgiving dinner. It is similar to Boo Blasters except you are shooting at turkeys with your blaster and it is not frightening at all for children. I loved the grandmotherly woman in the queue area explaining the object of the ride-was utterly charmed.

c. Water rides-Pilgrim's Plunge was a blast. Brian and I got kind of nervous as the elevator was lifting our boat. We rode in the back which is kind of rough on your back as it is on the wheel. We did not get as wet as I thought but it was very refreshing. We did 2 rides on this. Wildebeast, the master blaster coaster in the water park, was my fav water ride. It is best not to ride in the very front as the water can get into your nose-otherwise, a very refreshing ride on a hot day-would love to see Boomerang Bay build such a coaster. We also took in Frightful Falls, the park's version of the log flume-it gets you a lot wetter than KI's log flume but very refreshing on a day as hot and humid as yesterday.

d. Flat rides-Revolution-this is HW's round up ride. Hadn't ridden round up ride in years. It didn't make me dizzy as I always focus on one object when I ride such a ride. However, felt a lot of pressure on the abdominal area ( I guess from the g's) which could be uncomfortable- a fun ride but glad it was a short cycle. ( Make sure you ride before, not after lunch) Eagles Flight, their version of Flying Scooters, was fun although flying scooter rides not one of my favs-can pretty much take them or leave them. Loved the Holloswings, HW's version of, you guessed it , the swings. This version swung a bit higher than the Zephyr which made them a bit more thrilling. Also love HW's train-it is themed after Mother Goose and the train operator recites the nursery rhyme as you pass each Mother Goose character ( Found myself reciting along. )

2. What was really so special about HW was not the rides but the outstanding customer service. Here are some examples:

a. The prices-when we got to the parking lot entrance, my hand went immediately into my pocket like a reflex reaction to get money or my pass to take care of the parking fee. After a few seconds, I remembered that parking was free. The free drinks totally blew me away. I am not a softdrink person but I love drinks like juice and fruit punch as I think they are better for you. I was in heaven being able to drink all the Tropicana Fruit Punch and Gatorade that I wanted. For lunch, we went to Plymouth Rock's Cafe. I had fried chicken with 3 sides which set me back just a little over $9.00. How can you beat that with the free drinks? And the food was plum tasty. ( lol. ) I also had a soft serve ice cream for $1.69-over $2.00 less than KI's soft serve. I would also say it was the best soft serve ice cream I ever tasted as much as I love KI's soft serve-it had kind of a whipped creamy texture which I love. Finally, I had a slice of peanut butter fudge at Mrs. Klaus' Kitchen for $2.79 ( Compare that to $6.99 at KI.) Once again, plum tasty.

b. Cleanliness-I have never seen such a clean park. Normally, when you go to an amusement park, you might see clean rest rooms in the morning but, by the end of the day, they are totally trashed. Not HW-those rest rooms were as clean in the evening as they were in the morning. The midways were also spotless.

c. Employee attitudes- the staff at HW goes out of their way to see that you are enjoying your day. For example the young lady who rang up my lunch asked me how I was enjoying my day before she rang up my food. I was just about in a state of shock. And I was also shocked at how quick I got my ice cream- after I paid my money, to my chagrin my ice cream was ready!I have to say that most of the staff at KI, in particular the ride staff, are awesome but there have been times that I have been put off by negative attitudes by some ( not all ) of the food staff people. Not so at HW-you get the impression that every employee is there because they want to be and want to do the best job possible.

Final verdict: If you have never been to HW, get out there immediately.

Great report! I am glad you enjoyed yourself...

Now you gotta go back and:

* See the shows.

* Ride the Timberliners, when they get installed...

Saw the Timberliner trains and am anxious to try them-looks like it will be a smoother ride with more airtime.

Also, caught the tail end of one of the shows, Vinyl Daze, while we were eating our ice cream. This is the show where a group of singers performed oldies from the 60's. Very enjoyable show. Would have loved to catch some of the other shows, especially the high diving show ( wish they still had that at CP ). Maybe next time.

Weird... I just got back from my first Holiday World trip lol 

Hope you had as much fun as I did.

I hope you rode the Voyage more then I did lol

Six times.

:blink: I got on one time. Did you go to it when it opened?

First we did Raven, then Legend, then Voyage in the morning. In the late afternoon, we went back to Voyage in did 5 more rides-by that time it was close to a walk-on. Since it was a real hot day, a lot of people were at the water park.

Great Report Markr and I am glad you finally got over here to experience the special feel Holiday World has to offer. You know once you go to Holiday World you will want to go back soon to see everything you missed the first time. I particularly love a live band it the water park it adds so much to the atmosphere and to me those little extras make the difference.