PKI BEST MOVE

flightoffear1996

I think that PKI's best move was the addition of Nickelodeon Central with its 2 rides, Rugrats Runaway Reptar and the Wild Thornberry's River Adventure. The year Nickelodeon Central premiered, PKI's attendance went up (if memory serves me right).

Though most of us prefer the thrill rides....families with children are a very important target market for PKI. Building family rides that both children and adults can enjoy together was a brilliant idea....and Nickelodeon is very popular with children nowadays. I think that PKI should build a SpoongeBob SquarePants ride for Nickelodeon Central next.

Have a great day!

Italian Chef

:chef:

I think that the renovation of Rivertown was the best move because it brought traffic back to the rear of the park. Allthough we probably wont see any Action Zone Treaffic relife soon the renovation did help it some. :ph34r:

I would consider it a renovation. They only added a ride. a renoation would be like re paving footpaths paiting buildings planting more plants ect ect.

I think that the renovation of Rivertown was the best move because it brought traffic back to the rear of the park. Allthough we probably wont see any Action Zone Treaffic relife soon the renovation did help it some. :ph34r:

I would consider it a renovation. They only added a ride. a renoation would be like re paving footpaths paiting buildings planting more plants ect ect.

Actually that's exactly what they did in Rivertown when they added TR:TR. B)

I agree, The Beast really has been the cornerstone of the park for the past 24 years.

Well, here is my short list of the best moves:

1. Moving from the riverfront to Mason to become Kings Island. Smart decision -- more land, no more floods!

2. Waterworks. This put the park in direct competition with the Beach.

3. Adding new attractions every year. According to Jeff Seibert, PKI is one of a small handful of parks that can say that they've added attractions every year that they've been in existance.

4. Debuting the park with a wooden by John Allen.

5. NOT investing $25 million in a ride like TTD.

TTd is the the dumest ride that revices alot of attention. I got to ride it and its not all that great besides the launch. CP is now out of land and that was the oonly thing that would fit. And hyrodlic launch was needed to the train up to speed faster but that doesnt always work with the fall backs. The launch was probaly the most expensive part to build and it allways breaks down. sorry if that was off topic i just felt the need to say that

Let me set this straight. TTD is not dumb, if you say that you have not rode it. Name another ride when you get to go straight up 420 ft. at 120 mph, and come straight back down the other side and do a 270 degree twist while coming back down. If this ride is "dumb" then what do you guys call superman the escape? WOuld you guys whine and complain if PKI would have gotten the tallest and fastest rollercaoster that waas just like TTD? Probaly not. TTD next to Millennium force is the greatest coaster ever.

As for the issue of space goes, Cedar Point actually has fair amounts of land still on the penninsula, but eventually yes this will run out, and when that happens they already have started buying land on the main land. Cedar Point was not born yesterday, they know what they are doing, I can't belive people harass Cedar Point, according to polls and review they must be doing something right. Considering they have the number 1 rated steel, and they are the number one park in the world. I think you guys might be a little jealous. P.S. Dumest is not a word it is dumbest, it makes you look dumb spelling it wrong.

5. NOT investing $25 million in a ride like TTD.

PKI invested $25 million on SoB, and it still has major problems.

TTD was ranked 11th best coaster in the Golden Ticket balloting, even with all the problems before July 4th. How bad can it be? It is one of the best rides I have ever been on, and I waited 4 1/2 hours for it back in May. The best SoB can do is recieve 14% of the votes, and that is just for wooden coaster catagories.

And CP does not have a space issue. They actually have an enormus area to put new attractions. There is no park around that can say they are situated on a peninsula and is 133 years old. You think after the first 100 years, you would give them the benefit of the doubt that they know exactly what they are doing.

Alright, enough with the CP vs. PKI war. Both are great parks and both deliver in different ways. People have different opinions and that's alright. Now, let's get back on subject. If you want to talk about PKI vs. CP then go right ahead, but please post it in the correct topic to do so or make a new one.

I tried to look up the official cost at a number of rollercoaster sites and they all have a ? next to the total cost. A Cincinnati Enquirer article states that the cost was $15 million to start.

I am still trying to find the article that states $25 million- which was the cost after PKI did the renovations the first off-season.

SoB article

1999 article

Another article stating another amount. I am now thinking that the exact total may not have been released do to the lawsuit. :offtopic:

PKI bought SOB at a cost of $15 Million. After the first year though, they had put $25 Million in the ride. The park is even putting in more money with the retracking they are doing right now. When a park spends this much money to fix something, you know it's important to them. With everything they do though, it seems they cannot fix the problem.

• 4 weeks later...

I personally think that SOB is an incredible ride, when rides are too smooth people start to talk about them being boring, i think the shaking and the beating you around it does adds to the fun and excitement, it's not a steel rollercoaster and it never will be, you get rattled pretty well on The Beast, and even The Racers but noone complains about them. I think ppl just want to make an argument for a steel coaster for the money spent on the son.

Actually, I would have to say that The Racers would have to be their best decision, with The Beast as a close second. Why? It was really The Racers that put them on the map initially. And, I have read in several places that it was the building of The Racers that brought back the coaster revolution. Then, I would say The Beast, because it is still the signiature coaster of the park over SOB, Face/Off, Vortex, or Flight of Fear.

HBL's expansion in 1998. PKI had a record attendance that year. It's surprising how much a coaster doesn't make a difference. But then again, if you don't put in a new coaster for a long time attendance can drop for that reason also.

Although I'm sure the HBL expansion did help a lot, look at the other factors involved: The economy was in much better shape then it was in 99-present, and that was pre-9/11.