Kings Island 2010 Ride Downtime

benred23

Just a casual observation here,

We have spent alot of time at Kings Island this year. Much more than we have in recent years. I love it and I will still keep continuing to go back, But one thing that keeps bugging me, especially since Cedar Fair took over full operation of the park, is the amount of Downtime Ive seen on alot of the Major rides! Delirium has been down for nearly 3 weeks now, Firehawk shut down for about an hour in the middle of the day yesterday, Flight of Fear has Shut down. 1 side of The Racer was Shut down for all of April and Most of May, Drop Tower has been in and Out and Invertigo was shut down a few times! Now I know that these are big expensive machines that cost alot of money to maintain and are Being run in the Middle of summer in the Hot sun. But I honestly don't remember the downtime being as normal when the Park was run by Paramount. Am I the only one who has noticed this? Is Cedar Fair not Maintaining the Rides like they Should and cutting corners wherever they can? Or is it all my imagination.....

I think CF does a good job at keeping them up but please remember rides are like anything mechanical. They are getting older. As your car ages it demands more and more work such as these rides do. It would be ideal to have a spare part for every ride in storage but that is not likely to happen cause of cost factors and availability. As I have said in other threads I think Paramount did a better job at the park business but then again that is my opinion and mine only.

Well Delirium was worst when it was Paramount, but that wasn't Paramount's fault, it was because Delirium isn't too reliable. But I have noticed alot of rides have been closed more often than ever this year. Vortex was down for a few days, Firehawk and Flight of Fear have been down for atleast an hour just about every time I've gone this year, Invertigo has been closed about half the time I've gone, I can name any time a ride has gone down on a day I've been but I'll just leave it as that this year rides have been closed more than usual. Or alteast every day I've gone a few rides are closed.

I have been 6 times this yea and everytime I go at LEAST one ride is down. Correct me if I am wrong, but they are not allowed to run Drop Tower or Invertigo during high winds, Firehawk has a lot of downtime anyway, and The Racer running with one side still baffles me. But they are big machines that need TLC every day, they can sometimes be very hard to maintain and keep operating.

The fact that Delerium is down is not the fault of Cedar Fair. It isn't an issue of failed daily operations, it's a problem with the ride itself. This goes back to the company that built the ride, which is Huss.

Firehawk and Invertago are both very unreliable rides, if not the most unreliable rides in the park. Downtime for these are typical. (and this goes back to the manufacturer again, Vekoma)

As for the other rides, things like this happen. They are machines and machines break down.

Totally correct me if Im wrong on this one. Im not a Roller Coaster Manufacturer Buff by any means. But Flight Deck was Made by Arrow Coasters (Which to my understanding, is now out of business.) Yet, It has never been down any time I have ever been to KI. Isnt it Kinda odd that a coaster whose Manufacturer is Out of business has a better operation and less down time than a ride whose parts should be easier to get? Just an opinion and like I said, correct me if Im wrong please..

Kings Island suffers from as much downtime now as it did under Paramount. Attribute it to the fact that, more or less, Kings Island always got prototypes. Some became successful (suspended coasters) others failed to catch on (Giant Top Spins) or were just faulty (TOGO stand-up, The Bat). The ones that caught on and became trends are easily operable, because there's tons of literature on how to run them. The ones that are not so common (the Giant Huss Rides) take a little fine-tuning. When The Crypt breaks, what guidebook is there to go by? Who can the park turn to who might've been through the same thing? How was the park, and even the manufacturer, to know that a Giant Top Spin couldn't preform the more acrobatic cycle of its suspended cousins? No one else has one, so every day is a learning experience.

Plus, we have cutting-edge ride systems like LIM launches. Sure they're pretty common today, but when they were installed at Kings Island, it was a world's first. Backlot Stunt Coaster uses the same technology, and it appears to be more temperamental on Backlot than on Flight of Fear (or perhaps because Backlot has three launches to contend with as opposed to one).

And as I said, HUSS is sort of known for their poor record of down time. I once saw a photoshopped image of a "closed" sign outside of Tomb Raider: The Ride that read, 'Sorry, this ride is temporarily HUSSed." It's very true. The idea behind their Giant collection (of which we have two at Kings Island, Canada's Wonderland has another model) was that you could have all the fun of the smaller rides, but with a throughput large enough for a major park. Neither proved to be true, as most anyone can tell you, since Giant models are almost without exception less thrilling than their smaller counterparts. And have you seen the load / unload time on a Giant Top Spin vs. a suspended one? The homing time? HUSS rides are unique and cutting-edge. But when one of the Giant ones breaks, it's months before a new part can be secured (as we've seen with both our top spin and frisbee).

We've got Backlot and Flight of Fear auto-stopping a couple times a day, The Crypt still breaking more frequently than it should (even with the world's tamest top spin cycle trying to prevent that), Delirium in a near-constant state of maintenance, Firehawk closed as much as it's open, Drop Zone malfunctioning... And you people still want an Intamin coaster?

Of the six days that I have been to Kings Island this season, I have had Flight of Fear breakdown while I was in line twice, and at least another two times approached the ride to find it closed (which is where my complaint in another thread came from - asking that they post a sign at the entrance to X-Base when one of the two coasters located there is down. It's a painful walk all the way down there and back when you find that your destination ride is closed).

Premier's rides around the globe suffer from similar issues. They're almost intrinsic issues in their choice of LIM launching coasters. Revenge of the Mummy, The Chiller, all Intamin Impulse coasters (Wicked Twister, Possessed, V2, etc), Backlot Stunt Coaster... All use the same LIM technology. It's great, but it's sensitive. Keep in mind that Flight of Fear was also the first ride in the world to use said technology...

They way I understand some of the rides/coasters were(and still are)new technology. The Bat was the first suspended, the King Cobra, the first standing, and so on... With this comes some of the "bugs" to be worked out of the system. Top Thrill Dragster had/has a lot of downtime as does Kingda Ka. Since some of these rides are one of a kind or they were the first(at that time) of its kind, I suspect to see downtime. Correct me if I am wrong.

Totally Unrelated.. Well Kinda anyway. :) When you enter xbase, Why do they MAKE you buy a Locker to put your stuff in before you ride the rides in that area? Not to mention the fact that I bought the Locker, got in Line for Firehawk, It Shut down, we got outta line to get into Flight of Fear only to find that It too was shut down. Thus, KI Made 2 bucks off me for the stupid Locker rental and I didnt even ride a ride on Xbase// mad.gif Couldnt they Just let the ops take the bags and such to a holding area the way they do on The Crypt?!

When you enter xbase, Why do they MAKE you buy a Locker to put your stuff in before you ride the rides in that area?

The loose article policy will be argued forever. Neither side is completely right or wrong.

My suggestion: don't have loose articles with you. It's easier and cheaper. smile.gif

Totally Unrelated.. Well Kinda anyway. :) When you enter xbase, Why do they MAKE you buy a Locker to put your stuff in before you ride the rides in that area? Not to mention the fact that I bought the Locker, got in Line for Firehawk, It Shut down, we got outta line to get into Flight of Fear only to find that It too was shut down. Thus, KI Made 2 bucks off me for the stupid Locker rental and I didnt even ride a ride on Xbase// mad.gif Couldnt they Just let the ops take the bags and such to a holding area the way they do on The Crypt?!

Always bring a chicken with you to the park so they can hold your stuff while you ride. That's why I bring my wife with me!;)

Always bring a chicken with you to the park so they can hold your stuff while you ride. That's why I bring my wife with me!;)

Oh, my! For some reason, old Terp was at first thinking you meant a literal fowl with feathers! :) I can just see you handing that to the ride op to hold while you ride! "You may give loose articles to an attendant...however, we are not responsible for them." (for what? the attendant?....yes, Terp has an odd sense of humor)

Cluck! Cluck!

Ride capacity for Firehawk is really bad... Taking your bags across the train would lower it even more. As for Flight of Fear where would they take your bags?

In the cubbies, if you're waiting in line in the station, it's to the left.