“Home Sweet Home” Park

Hello everyone. Like normal spring and summer are filled with many personal events and get together. For us this year summer has given us many unique opportunities to visit some other amusement parks and to take in a mountain or two. We have enjoyed ourselves so far and last weekend when a prior commitment needed to be rescheduled, we as a family explored several options to fill the weekend. Several ideas were floated around St Louis, Chicago or maybe back to another amusement park with cave exploration the following day. On Thursday morning I looked over our options and then called the wife and told her "You know what I think we really would enjoy and need to do, we need to go back home (Kings Island) I have been missing our frequent trips and think we just need to go home". Lisa agreed and said she thought we need a trip back to Kings Island too. So it was settled "Home Sweet Home" here we come. Well someone from Kings Island must have known we have been home sick as a couple hours after deciding to go we received a text announcing the Train Tour would be offered to KICentral members for half price. I enjoyed the sneak peek train tour back in May and wanted to bring the family to enjoy a wonderful behind the scenes experience.

Friday night I found myself stirring around in anticipation of seeing some friends again, also to see some new shows added to Kings Island entertainment list, sharing time with the family especially the Train Tour. But most of just the feeling of being home with all the sights, sounds and smells of my home park.

I am changing this style of a trip report a bit as I usually give a chronological list of activates of that day and in many times in the order we did them, with a video at the end. This time I am going to start with a video and then share my thoughts about going home to Kings Island.

I think this video is a good way to start as it helps set the tone and mood for the long day

<object width='640' height='360'> <param name='movie' value='http://albums.phanfare.com/video_config.ashx?m=player&.swf' /> <param name='flashvars' value='config=http://albums.phanfare.com/video_config.ashx?m=conf%26hs=1747a174224ec81b03c345ee92b435e4%26u=1009485%26a=4541458%26i=105188421%26w=640%26h=360' /> <param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /> <param name='bgcolor' value='#000000' /> <embed type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='640' height='360' allowfullscreen='true' bgcolor='#000000' src='http://albums.phanfare.com/video_config.ashx?m=player&.swf' flashvars='config=http://albums.phanfare.com/video_config.ashx?m=conf%26hs=1747a174224ec81b03c345ee92b435e4%26u=1009485%26a=4541458%26i=105188421%26w=640%26h=360'></embed> </object>

It had been two months for me and three months for Lisa and Miss Rae since our last visits so as you can see we took in all the park had to offer that day and it was really felt good to be home. I'll start off sharing my thoughts on the Train Tour. The tour starts 1 hour prior to Kings Island opening at 10AM and this was such a great way to start off our day. First of all seeing so many friends (fellow members) at the station and catching up helped set the mood almost like "I'll meet you at the station" feel. I was very happy to see a great friend of mine Ronny who works at Kings Island (who just got a big promotion, congratulations) was the person selected to be the narrator of the Train Tour.

0_0_de2fbcb91a9da6afc995c0458babbe2e_1.jpg

Then the tour itself offered so much interesting information and honestly even though it was my second time around I learned just as much this time as last. Engineer Steve really took his time in presenting fun interesting facts about the workings of the train. I could sit all day and listen to his many stories about working with the Kings Island train.

0_0_178f0417d69863297eebd9b908e426b1_1.jpg

Back at the station they give the participants a chance to see the engine more up close and to take a photo of you with the train for no charge.

0_0_560adee588955212a592602670526018_1.jpg

For those more interested in a more detailed report on the Train Tour, I would suggest reading my trip report I did back in May titled "This Little Train Of Ours" which can be found here http://www.KICentral...showtopic=21345

Since we never know who is reading these reports I would like to share a more personal thought about the Train Tour. This summer was the first time the Train Tour is/were offered at Kings Island, especially to the general public. I hope that the Train Tour is still offered in future years as it really has much to offer. I also think when evaluating the success this year and then deciding on its future that maybe the supply versus demand theory should be considered. Basically fewer dates and price adjustment or that it is also used for coaster enthusiast events and corporate picnics. I really think the Train Tour is a wonderful behind the scenes tour and one that should stay in some useful function.

Moving on to Entertainment;

We have been entertained with five new shows this year at Kings Island and a new night time light show. On our most recent visit we were entertained by several of these to include

Signed, Sealed, Delivered – A celebration of Motown favorite songs and the singer/entertainers do a superb job in dance moves and voice to come very close to the original recordings.

0_0_25b06397092449c6b84c204611d0a57a_1.jpg

Snoopy On Ice – Very well performed the costume, choreography, set designs, lighting where way above par and what anyone could expect at an amusement park, but wait there is more the skating performers are the Real McCoy in their skating and performance talent.

0_0_31775062e00c695ca1086df703058520_1.jpg

Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular – LED lighting on and behind the Eiffel Tower to include free standing displays, trees. bushes or anything else they could stick a sting of lights on. Many times the music of the area is synced to the tights. Beautifully done and a wonderful addition to a typically non used dark area of Kings Island.

0_0_1291cf03894890af9cf59c0f2f50b857_1.jpg

For the last couple years I have heard many times that Cedar Fair has brought back the entertainment at Kings Island. In my opinion that statement is inadequate, I say this because as I watched the shows I was awe inspired from the talent depth, wardrobe, choreography, lighting and set designs, it is clear that the Entrainment Department at Kings Island has evolved into a top notch Entertainment Department that can Kings Island can take great pride in while other should aspire to perform at this level. I say everyone who works with the Entertainment division of Kings Island should take a much deserved bow. You have entertained me well and I Thank You!!!!

Random thoughts and opinions;

On our visit on Saturday July 17, 2010 it was a very hot day but we found much relief by spending time at Boomerang Bay Water Park and the late afternoon shows to keep us cool. It seemed to be a very busy day but the crowds did not affect us much as there is so much variety of entertainment offering s to keep a family cool and happy, even when lines are long at the ride attractions. We did stay to enjoy Kings Island late into the evening (midnight) to enjoy the ambiance that can only be enjoyed after dark. On our way back to Indianapolis we remarked how wonderful our visit back to our home park Kings Island was, that it was fun to see everyone and all the improvements that has been going on since our last visit. Since it was a 13 hour day at Kings Island "our dogs were barking" on the way back to Indianapolis which made our conversation about our "Home Sweet Home" Kings Island visit sound a bit like this.

<object width='640' height='360'> <param name='movie' value='http://albums.phanfare.com/video_config.ashx?m=player&.swf' /> <param name='flashvars' value='config=http://albums.phanfare.com/video_config.ashx?m=conf%26hs=96462d2655eced5babc43da7d07a6dc4%26u=1009485%26a=4541458%26i=105449854%26w=640%26h=360' /> <param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /> <param name='bgcolor' value='#000000' /> <embed type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='640' height='360' allowfullscreen='true' bgcolor='#000000' src='http://albums.phanfare.com/video_config.ashx?m=player&.swf' flashvars='config=http://albums.phanfare.com/video_config.ashx?m=conf%26hs=96462d2655eced5babc43da7d07a6dc4%26u=1009485%26a=4541458%26i=105449854%26w=640%26h=360'></embed> </object>

I do encourage those who only go to Kings Island occasionally to go and soon as Kings Island has really enhanced in so many areas from the landscaping to rides and entertainment. You will be glad you did.

To those who visit often but for some reason have not been back lately, well it is time to go come home for a visit.

To those who seem to always be home at Kings Island keep writing to us as it is always good to hear the latest news from home.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed the report

Finally thanks to everyone who makes our Home Park Kings Island a great place to come home to.

Thanks Jesse for another wonderful trip report!

I also thought the Train Tour was fantastic and hope it is around in the future when my kids are old enough to truly enjoy it. The knowledge and information shared by Ronny and Steve was incredible. And to think the other option would have been to wait for 50 minutes of ERT while Diamondback was struggling to wake up!

Great to see you and your family - I can imagine it was a very long day for y'all, but also knew you'd make it to midnight as well! What a great day for your first Starlight Experience - I love the interaction of music, lights, and the Eiffel Tower.