Osage Beach/Tan-Tar-A TR

CincyMan98

I am in a place called "Tan-Tar-A". If you have never heard of it, you will learn about it here and find a place your family should go visit next year!

Tan-Tar-A is in Osage Beach, Missouri. Whenever I told my friends that, they would say, "You're going to Missouri?". I guess that's not the best travel state. You'd be surprised though. Tan-Tar-A is on Lake of The Ozarks. I think I read somewhere that the lake's shoreline is longer than Florida's. It is really clean, and there are tons of hills and cliffs that add to the excitement.

We got our own house instead of staying in the hotel, and the house includes two bedrooms with a kitchen. So, onto the actual trip report. If you want to read it, feel free to, I'd be happy. If you don't, I don't care, just....do something ;).

So, I left on Saturday, and drove six hours away to St. Louis. I stayed the night at the Crowne Plaza near the St. Louis Airport. On Sunday we had another three hours of driving. We were driving in farms and plains, then all of a sudden the roads twist and turn into the hills. We see a sign that says "Tan-Tar-A" and a little waterfall. We're excited already. That night we went to the "Arrowhead Pool", which had a 3 foot area and then a four foot area with waterfalls. Up above there was a nice five hundred foot long waterslide that was just a fun relaxing ride. There was also a whirpool and a little kids play area. We had gone there the next four days, and had more fun every day.

On Monday was lake time. We took our rental pontoon boat out to the lake, then met up with our other friends (there were 10 people in all) and me, my friend Will and Danielle, and my dad went on a motorboat. I did waterskiing first, and after five trys I got up for two seconds. <_<. Then I went kneeboarding....I went on that for fifteen minutes, over so many waves, and learned then how to do tricks like spinning and going over the wakes. Then they took us tubing all the way back to the resort (we had gone out about two miles). That was the best day of the week.

On Tuesday Will's dad took us to the go-karts on State Road KK, which reminded me a lot of Gatlinburg or Myrtle Beach. I came in fourth out of ten people. After that we went to Bears Den Arcade, which was in the hotel. I stayed there for about three hours and got a bunch of different prizes. The rest of the day we spent at the pool.

On Wednesday we went to the indoor waterpark, which was almost exactly like Great Wolf Lodge. It was connected to the hotel and was called "Timber Falls". They had a body slide and tube slide, both were pretty fun. My four-year-old sister rode the "big-girl" slides a bunch of times. There was a hot tub, activity pool, fort, and lazy river. It was a nice little waterpark, but the tickets were seperate from the hotel/houses.

Today, (Thursday), we went to Big Surf Waterpark in Linn Creek, Missouri. It was great! Better than Boomerang Bay. It was tiny, which I loved, because my feet don't like being burnt and blistered from Boomerang Bay. There was Space Bowl, which was a toilet bowl ride without a tube, Zoombezi Falls, which was amazing - a half pipe slide you go on tubes. I rode it with my dad, and we made it all the way to the top because of our weight together. There were two body slides, one that was open and one that was closed. My sister rode the "big-girl" slides there too, which included a small straight drop one (well like 70 degrees) and a turn around one, which landed into an activity pool. There was a nice little kids area with a little slide and a bunch of different water activities. The last one I rode was The Rapids, which was like the one at The Beach Waterpark.

Tomorrow (Friday) is just going to be a relaxing day at the house, and Saturday I'm leaving. Thanks for reading!

Many, many years ago I got sent for a two week executives' course (a course for two week executives, of course :)), at Tan-Tar-A. At the time it was known as a fantastic golf resort. So when did I get sent there? February. It snowed. Nearly two feet. There were no indoor waterparks there then. The lake was frigid. And still I loved the place. I had taken my mountain bike in the trunk of my car and rode all over the place out there! Twas fun.

Tanks for the memories....

Terp, who loves bad puns...and some will get some of these...

Missouri may not be the best travel state for some, but when I went to Kansas City last summer, I found it to be one of the more pleasant places that I've been. It sounds like you are having a good time! :) I may have to hit that spot next summer...

Back from vacation. Yesterday instead of relaxing, you know I had to go on the lake! I finally learned how to water ski, for about a minute. I kissed everything in my house to say goodbye, then today was the nine hour car drive back. :'(

I miss it already. :(

Guest Millennium

Good TR!

You think 9 hour is bad? Try a 13 hour drive, leaving at 5AM, scrunched between two people in the back seat. :P

Both of you need to do your practicing on private property. Getting caught at that on a public road, particularly out of state, would be a most unpleasant experience for you both, especially these days...My mind boggles at all the possible charges, from operating a vehicle without a driver's license to reckless driving to child endangerment. Not smart. Not anymore.

Terp, who still can't believe how much the driver's licensing age has dropped since he was a pup...back then it was 16, BUT when you passed you got a full, unrestricted license no different from that of any adult, and CDL's were unheard of...you had a driver's license, you could drive a semi...but not a motorcycle!

• 2 weeks later...