Random oddities around the park

pcc

While in line for Drop Tower, I noticed a sticker on a support beam for the shed. Right across from the fan in the row you wait in before loading. It said "I love the way we talk". It's randomly placed at the top, almost near the roof. Not sure why I happened to notice it, but I found it intriguing. Who placed it there? Why? And how? That's high up!

What strange things have you noticed around the park?

There's all kinds of things on the roof that covers the final brake run on The Beast... I've been watching the same pair of sunglasses for months now.

How about the lip gloss container I've been watching for YEARS?

pcc to answer your question about the I love the way we talk thing, I believe it was a cell phone company promotion in the park one day....I'm not sure who...but I believe that people take these things, don't want them and then stick them places.

What idiot authorized a company to hand out stickers in a theme park? What did they think people would do with them? May as well sell chewing gum while they are at it!

Sigh.

(Yeah, I know, the cell phone company paid...but stickers? Honestly...)

I have seen some promotions give away bumper stickers before at the park, and subsequently the workers having to scrape them off.

Its how the next generation is being raised Terpy. Stickers for a long time have been an easy way to get the name of a brand or product out, and have been used for decades. However, many (and before people blast me, there is a difference between MANY and ALL) teenagers now do not care if they vandalize or cause damage because of the morals being taught from their parents and communities.

Its like some of the architecture majors at UC. I am in the middle of cleaning about 20 studios, and yet I have gotten 7 done because of the complete lack of respect to the architecture studios. There was spray paint on the walls, on the windows, about 30 beer bottles lined up on air conditioning ducts, a beer bottle was super glued to the wall, all this in a space that was given to them by the school in order to further their education. Its a complete lack of respect that boils down to the way that the students were taught by their society and by their parents while they were younger.

I would be seriously remiss if I did not mention that I know of one fine young man who was an architecture major, even got his Master's...from U.C., and he certainly was not raised that way...He is a credit to architecture and to this site...

Terp, who is saying they are not all that way...in fact most are not...

I know its not all, and thats why I put most in the post, but its sickening to know the morals that I was raised up in (clean up after yourself, leave things in better shape than when you first got them) and seeing what I see while cleaning these studios.

So true. I don't normally pay other kids/teens much mind as I remember being silly at those ages as well. Sadly many of them are way out of control and do things we never imagined as kids. I have been left shaking my head in amazement on almost every trip this year.

What idiot authorized a company to hand out stickers in a theme park? What did they think people would do with them? May as well sell chewing gum while they are at it!

Sigh.

(Yeah, I know, the cell phone company paid...but stickers? Honestly...)

There was a promotion early in the season where they gave out very small buttons to guests... I'm *still* finding them occasionally. People have no respect for other people's things anymore...

Can we talk about the silly bands? I mean... really? I bought some of these rubber bracelets for my kids, so I know how much they cost. I saw some that were the same brand I bought...not cheap... all over where change is usually thrown at The Beast queue.

A. I'd be mad if my kids begged me for these fad items, then threw them away.

B. I'd rather look at quarters.

Ugh... I absolutely HATE annoying teen fads that everybody kid I see has them. And this is coming from a teenager. For example, the "phiten" which all the "popular" kids at my school have although all the "popular" kids are just a bunch of posers who think they're cool. Although I'm not in the "popular" group I'm not in the "unpopular" group either. I'm sort of in the middle. And I'm proud to have my own group of friends that stand out from everybody else and doesn't follow the "popular" crowd. Taking the road not taken...

beastforever389, I'm with you there. Silly Bands or Silly Bracelets or whatever they're called are so annoying/stupid. Also, the fact that they're thrown in the most random places just annoys me.

For example, I took a trip to Waldameer Park not too long ago. While riding the Skyride, I noticed the roof of the carousel building was amost completely covered with Silly Bands/Bracelets. What a waste of money for the people who put them there, and a waste of time for the park who has to clean it up.

To me, nothing ruins a good Skyride more than looking down at the rooves of older buildings and seeing cheap, plastic, colored rubber bands.

beastforever389, I'm with you there. Silly Bands or Silly Bracelets or whatever they're called are so annoying/stupid. Also, the fact that they're thrown in the most random places just annoys me.

For example, I took a trip to Waldameer Park not too long ago. While riding the Skyride, I noticed the roof of the carousel building was amost completely covered with Silly Bands/Bracelets. What a waste of money for the people who put them there, and a waste of time for the park who has to clean it up.

To me, nothing ruins a good Skyride more than looking down at the rooves of older buildings and seeing cheap, plastic, colored rubber bands.

Talking about a waste of money. As I mentioned the "phiten" before that everybody has at my school. One time when I went to dick's I saw those and they cost around $25-$35 dollars for a little necklace that just pretty much is a ring of some sort of elastic or something. BIG waste of money...

^ It makes you wonder HOW those things get up there... Do people go on the ride with the intent of improving the collection of trash on the roof? Pretty soon, there will be people saying "Why do those glasses look so funny?" "Oh that's just the style of sunglasses that was popular when I was your age." It's going to be a museum of "trash from the past"

So true. I don't normally pay other kids/teens much mind as I remember being silly at those ages as well. Sadly many of them are way out of control and do things we never imagined as kids. I have been left shaking my head in amazement on almost every trip this year.

Coming from a 15 year old, I blame the fact that parents of today let their kids be raised by television and video games. There's no one-on-one time with kids anymore, and I think this is going to get worse as my generation starts having kids with the embedded attitude that parents don't have to raise their kids properly. This makes me glad I live in a rural area, and intend to do so for a LONG time.

^ Do people go on the ride with the intent of improving the collection of trash on the roof?

Some do, while riding Racer (Red Train) a couple weeks ago I was asked a question by a young boy on the blue train while going up the lift. The question was " Do you want some fudge" and the top of the container blew off. Not sure what they did with the rest of the package/food or if anyone else on that train reported them.

**WARNING** Disclaimer: Do not try this at home, it is illegal and not so much politically correct in todays world.

So, back when I worked on Scream'n Demon you had two operators at any given time to launch the ride. One on either end. You had to sit on the far side by yourself in this little return shack way up there in the blue yonder. In order to get back and forth you had to ride. We used to take a full glass of water on the trip to see how much water you would loose thru the loop. Anyone have a guess how much water if any was left in the glass when we reached the other side?

^ It makes you wonder HOW those things get up there... Do people go on the ride with the intent of improving the collection of trash on the roof? Pretty soon, there will be people saying "Why do those glasses look so funny?" "Oh that's just the style of sunglasses that was popular when I was your age." It's going to be a museum of "trash from the past"

So true, In 20 years from now there could be a 2010 map stuck on the roof. And people will say,"Look, a park map from 20 years ago!"smile.gif

^^I'm guessing the whole cup, gotta love centripital force!wink.gif . Anyways, a real oddity that i've seen is by the stairs going up to the station on Flight Deck. If you look at the track supports, there is graffiti (not ink, but just marks in the dirt and grime) all over them, but the thing is, those supports are either 4ft from the railing in midair, or 8ft up, also quite far from any of the platforms. huh.gif

So true, In 20 years from now there could be a 2010 map stuck on the roof. And people will say,"Look, a park map from 20 years ago!"smile.gif

The good news is that that map will have biodegraded long, long before then. Or, if you less politically correct, the good news is that map will have rotted long before then. Not to mention the roof will also probably have been replaced...if it is still there at all.