Penn Station owner/GM buys $500 worth of ducks

Sergeant Pepper

While I'm glad he bought the ducks, I don't see what the big deal is about a corporate person buying something to donate to a cause. Of course, I also don't see the big deal in making a big production of anyone with money making donations to charities. It shouldn't be something for PR, it should be expected of those with money.

That and a donation is supposed to be from the heart, not from the PR dept.

I did read the article, but what I'm trying to say is that the park took his donation and turned it into a PR opportunity because of who he is. To me, that just isn't right.

So the park gave him a PR opportunity...

The money still goes to a good cause, it still will create a small media stir for the good cause, and if small PR opportunities were not given people that have the money to donate, they may be less likely to do it.

Good move on the park's part. It may influence others to do the same.

...and with the good publicity for Penn Station goes good publicity for Kings Island and money for a good cause. This is the way of the world. Altruism is fine and all, but it is not the only reason people do the things they do...and the park and the cause realize that...In the end what matters is what we do, not usually why we do it...

I did read the article, but what I'm trying to say is that the park took his donation and turned it into a PR opportunity because of who he is. To me, that just isn't right.

Meh, I'm sure if I died tomorrow, the park would put out a release saying, "Local Kings Island fansite media director dies in tragic helicopter crash."

I'm down with it. If there's anything I would want from my demise, it would be a revenue generating opportunity. :rolleyes:

I am glad he got this chance and his donation was an awesome event. However that means most likely the odds of someone else winning that car are not so good. Think about it. People are buying these for a good cause but you have to admit a lot of these people are trying to win that car. Your chances just went down a few notches. I wonder if a patron of the park bought that many ducks if they would be star lighted like this?

I do not think it was a good thing they promoted this guy/company for their donations as they did on the web page. Wouldn't it be better to acknowledge everyone who donated?

^ You really think if he entered the contest to win?

I have entered many wedding 50/50 and simply put bride/ groom in the name slot.

No he did not do it to win the car. He has good intentions I am just saying. It is no different than the lottery to some. They play to win not throw their money way thinking they can't win.

Edit: I am in no way saying he did not do a good thing. I think it is wonderful. I am merely saying many people donate just to win a car. Would I donate to something so worthy just to win a prize? No! I have donated to 4 charities this year in the 100's of dollars with no prizes involved. I also do not write these off in anyway.