Mega Trip PTR Part Four

KICoasterGirl

Day Five July 6th: Six Flags Great Escape

20100706-IMG_1537.jpg

There was very pretty scenery between our hotel in Plattsburgh and Six Flags Great Escape.

20100706-IMG_1581.jpg

They have a very nice entrance sign.

20100706-IMG_1590.jpg

We went to Boomerang Coast to Coaster first since these rides are known for getting long lines.

20100706-IMG_1853.jpg

The Bommerang's sign.

20100706-IMG_1810.jpg

I like this shot.

20100706-IMG_1788.jpg

Katy, Dad and mom rode this a second time later in the day, if you look closely you'll see them. Also, notice the stride gum advertisements, they must be trying hard to get out of their debt!

20100706-IMG_1578.jpg

20100706-IMG_1904.jpg

Steamin' Demon has a very pretty color scheme.

20100706-IMG_1722.jpg

Canyon Blaster is a well themed but somewhat boring mine ride.

20100706-IMG_1729.jpg

20100706-IMG_1724.jpg

20100706-IMG_1725.jpg

Some of the theming of Canyon Blaster.

20100706-IMG_1690.jpg

20100706-IMG_1656.jpg

Comet is a good woodie but it still could be better.

20100706-IMG_1660.jpg

This is my mom's third favorite wooden coaster.

20100706-IMG_1684.jpg

Comet's lift hill.

20100706-IMG_1686.jpg

I like Comet's logo.

20100706-IMG_1664.jpg

The ACE landmark plaque.

20100706-IMG_1647.jpg

I loved Alpine Bobsled!

20100706-IMG_1698.jpg

You actually get airtime on this bobsled!

20100706-IMG_1649.jpg

Alpine Bobsled's lift hill.

20100706-IMG_1706.jpg

This looked like a cute show.

20100706-IMG_1751.jpg

Desperado Plunge is a nice flume ride with some neat theming. It takes you around the building that held Nightmare at Crack Axle Canyon.

20100706-IMG_1760.jpg

20100706-IMG_1764.jpg

Their Condor is very mild but still fun!

20100706-IMG_1769.jpg

They have a petting zoo with cute baby goats!

20100706-IMG_1772.jpg

This ride had a very long cycle.

20100706-IMG_1900.jpg

Their Cannonball Express is like a musik express.

20100706-IMG_1901.jpg

Coney's Trabant is much better, this one hardly spun.

20100706-IMG_1645.jpg

My mom and I with Speedy.

20100706-IMG_1639.jpg

The Loony Toons National Park area.

20100706-IMG_1711.jpg

Mr. Six's dance party.

20100706-IMG_1629.jpg

Here is a nice picture of their skyride.

Alice in Wonderland

20100706-IMG_1883.jpg

This is my absolute favorite attraction of all of Great Escape.

20100706-IMG_1886.jpg

Here's Katy and I with the White Rabbit.

20100706-IMG_1887.jpg

This attraction starts out with a tunnel that tilts down to make the doors look like they are getting smaller and smaller

untill you end up in this room, like Alice did. She drank a potion to make herself smaller so she would fit through the door that leads to the outside. When you exit you follow along a path and come across more scenes and creatures...

20100706-IMG_1889.jpg

...like the Cheshire Cat!

20100706-IMG_1888.jpg

Alice ate a cookie to make her get bigger.

20100706-IMG_1890.jpg

The walrus.

20100706-IMG_1893.jpg

I'm not sure who this character is.

20100706-IMG_1892.jpg

Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum

20100706-IMG_1895.jpg

One of the Queen's knights.

20100706-IMG_1896.jpg

And finally the Queen of Hearts herself!

20100706-IMG_1897.jpg

The three of us with a couple of flowers.

Theming

Six Flags Great Escape has EPIC theming! There is a section of the park called Storytown that has little houses throughout it each representing different Nursery Rhymes.

20100706-IMG_1718.jpg

Here is an example. This is the Queen of Hearts house.

20100706-IMG_1637.jpg

This house belongs to the three little kittens who lost their mittens.

20100706-IMG_1854.jpg

This wasn't a nursery rhyme but it reminded me of Disney's Port Orleans Riverside Resort, which is a lovely resort by the way.

20100706-IMG_1857.jpg

I loved how they had a mini dock for the mini boats.

Good Eats

The stand by the castle and pony rides has really good custard, not quite as good as two of Cedar Point's stands though! It literaly has the consistency of frozen whipped creme.

Ride Info

Alice in Wonderland is an absolute must walk through attraction, see above for details.

Steamin' Demon is an okay Arrow Looper.

Alpine Bobsled is a good coaster that you get airtime on, but brace your self for the turns and turning to going through the short midcourses.

Rides We Rode

• Boomerang Coast to Coaster
  • Steamin' Demon
  • The Comet
  • Road Runners Express
  • Canyon Blaster
  • Alpine Bobsled
  • Trabant
  • Cannonball Express
  • Condor
  • Desperado Plunge
  • Flying Trapeze
  • Alice in Wonderland

20100706-IMG_1903.jpg

I'm going to close this PTR with a legend about a statue of a boar.

This statue shown above is a replica of a statue in Florence, Italy called Porcellino. The legend is if you drop a coin in the grate below the statue and rub the boar's nose you will be sure to visit Florence again. The statue near the entrance of Great Escape has a sign that tells of the story, but then it adds something like "so leave a coin, rub the statue's nose and you will someday return to Storytown." Sure enough I did return to Storytown that day but I do hope to go back to Storytown another time! Also, All of the proceeds go to the American Cancer Society.

Six Flags Great Escape is definately one of my favorite Six Flags parks.

Note: We left at park closing which was five since there was a special event going on. We then drove to Six Flags New England for the evening, this part will be in New England's PTR.

For those who wonder what Disaster Transport looks like (and didn't know), the Alpine Bobsled is the same type of ride, but outdoors...as Avalanche Run used to be at Cedar Point, before it got enclosed and became a purported trip to Alaska. Believe it or not, Disaster Transport is about 1/3 longer and 5 mph faster.

When Comet was first moved to The Great Escape from Crystal Beach, it was a truly awesome ride. It is what some call a hybrid coaster...wood track with steel supports, like the Coney Island Cyclone...or Voyage is, just to name two.

Beautiful pictures, great trip report!

Yes I had A Blast at Great Escape. Forgot to ask did u guys get to ride Sasquatch. Also im so happy we got to ride the Kiddie Coaster that was Epic lol.

We did too! No, we didn't ride Sasquatch.

For those who wonder what Disaster Transport looks like (and didn't know), the Alpine Bobsled is the same type of ride, but outdoors...as Avalanche Run used to be at Cedar Point, before it got enclosed and became a purported trip to Alaska. Believe it or not, Disaster Transport is about 1/3 longer and 5 mph faster.

it did seem a little shorter than Disaster Transport, but both are good rides.

When Comet was first moved to The Great Escape from Crystal Beach, it was a truly awesome ride.

Inside the station there are posters that tell about the Crystal Beach Cyclone.

Beautiful pictures, great trip report!

Thank you to both! The sky was perfect for taking pictures that day.

And she helps to get rid of many peoples' false assumptions about other parks.

La Ronde? Six Flags.

Great Escape? Part of the Six Flags Theme Park Family

Great Adventure? Six Flags.

Dirty? Filthy? You saw the pictures...whaddya think?

Yet people often believe what they hear and won't go see for themselves...

And she helps to get rid of many peoples' false assumptions about other parks.

La Ronde? Six Flags.

Great Escape? Part of the Six Flags Theme Park Family

Great Adventure? Six Flags.

Dirty? Filthy? You saw the pictures...whaddya think?

Yet people often believe what they hear and won't go see for themselves...

They're trying hard to get a better reputation, so in the past few years the parks have been cleaner, when you looked down a path at New England there were two rows of trashcans and recycle bins placed about fifteen feet apart that help the park stay clean. Also, the employees have been very enthusiastic, they give high fives while checking the trains! Six Flags is working very hard to make sure everyone has as close to a six flags day as possible!

I am sorry you thought that Canyon Blaster was boring. I quite enjoyed it. I would even go so far as to say it is the 2nd best mine ride I have been on. BTMRR at Disney is by far the best. Mine rides for me are not about the thrill as much as the theme.

It is easy to pick on parks. Sure Great Escape does not have the top thrill rides, but a park can be much more then just thrills. This park had a lot of charm and made for a fun day. My favorite park from this trip (PTR to come) just has average coasters and most of the flats were nothing special. The vibe at the park and the surrounding area made me feel like a kid.

You make these "other Parks" look very tempting, I am basically just KI fan but you really make me want to visit these others.

Exactly what I was thinking!

Thanks a lot for these TR's. I really enjoy reading and looking at them!

Wow. Great TR. When I first clicked on it, I was like "Six Flags Great Escape? What park is this?" Then I saw the Comet roller coaster. "Oh...THAT Great Escape!" Then I realized something and was baffled:

"THIS IS A SIX FLAGS!?!?"

This park reminds me, in more than a few ways, of Holiday World- it a well themed, good looking little park. If I ever visit New York, I think I'll have to stop by here if I have the cash to do so. (Of course, a ride on the Coney Island Cyclone and a visit to the much bigger and also close SF Great Adventure would also be priorities!).

PS: A GG woodie would not be out of place at a park like this in my opinion...perhaps to compliment The Comet and give this little park TWO great woodies.

The Great Escape is further from New York City than Holiday World is from Kings Island. It's more than 200 miles away, in upstate New York. It is nearly four hours from the Cyclone....

Re ride 5 Dollars LOL. Worth every Nickel tee hee.

McSalsa, just for information sake, Great Escape it in Northern New York not far from the Canadian boarder. As we headed south after our Great Escape, we went to Six Flags New England and Lake Compounce before heading farther south to Brooklyn and the Coney Island Cyclone.

Guest Millennium

Good Trip Report! :) Waiting for SFNE.

Not to be rude, but how much was the admission to all of those parks? It sounds crazy expensive to me. :P

The Great Escape is further from New York City than Holiday World is from Kings Island. It's more than 200 miles away, in upstate New York. It is nearly four hours from the Cyclone....

OK. Didn't realize this park was so far from New York...then again, I've barley even heard of it until recently so I just learned something new. So, if I was going to NYC, I would have to go out-of-the-way to visit this park. Then again, might be worth it...

PS: I live closer to Kings Island than Holiday World, by the way, Indianapolis is smack dab in the middle of Indiana, and Holiday World is at the bottom. Very close to Kentucky. Had we drove on for another 30 minutes the day we went, we would have been in Kentucky. And it helps up reach KI faster since there is a highway straight to Cincinatti from Indy which takes you close to KI, and the way to Holiday World involves a road that likes to break apart and go through lots of small towns.

Guest Millennium

McSalsa, Knoebels, Dorney, and GA are all pretty close to NYC. I just drove up there from Indy a week ago...

Knoebels -- 9 Hours from Indy, 4 hours from NYC

Dorney- 2 hours from NYC, 10 hours from Indy, but don't go through the Lincoln Tunnel during rush hour or it will be a 4 hour drive from Allentown to NYC!

Great Adventure -- Once you get into NYC, it is less than 2 hours to get there and a relatively easy drive.

Wow. Great TR. When I first clicked on it, I was like "Six Flags Great Escape? What park is this?" Then I saw the Comet roller coaster. "Oh...THAT Great Escape!"

Thanks! Great Escape is one of the smaller Six Flags parks but it is a really nice one!

Good Trip Report! smile.gif Waiting for SFNE.

Not to be rude, but how much was the admission to all of those parks? It sounds crazy expensive to me. tongue.gif

Thanks! I'll try to get it up tonight, but I've just started it.

I will let DaveStroem answer that one.

As Terpy mentioned, We all have Six Flags Season Passes and I have Parking on mine. We also have Cedar Fair Platinum passes which get us into all of those parks.

• Kennywood we got tickets from AAA at $22.95 ea
  • Waldameer evening wristbands were $16
  • Canada's Wonderland CF Platinum Pass
  • LaRonde SF Season Pass
  • Great Escape SF Season Pass
  • Six Flags New England SF Season Pass
  • Lake Compounce $26.95 at Costco
  • Coney Island Cyclone $8 for the first ride and $5 for a re-ride
  • Luna Park came out to be $12 worth of tickets. For that we rode both coasters and Air Race. Elizabeth & I also rode Brooklyn Flyer and I still have $5 on my Luna Park card
  • Six Flags Great Adventure SF Season Pass
  • Morey's Pier $45. We were there for Coastin' by the Ocean enthusiasts event which got us wristbands for 2 days, $10 food voucher, T-Shirt, MANY sessions of ERT including extreme rides like Sky Coaster, Sling Shot, Extreme Swing, Sky Scrapper & Go Karts, all you can eat buffet with Shrimp, Fried Chicken, Chicken Tenders, Vegi Lasagna & Roasted Corn on the Cob etc.....
  • Dorney Park CF Platinum Pass
  • Knoebels about $12 worth of tickets which got us on all the coasters, Flyers, Looper, Satellite, Skotter Bumper Cars & the Carousel.
  • Del Grossos $3 for the 2 coasters.

So we got all of these in for $151 per person. Of course this did not count the hotels, food, gas, souvenirs etc......

Have they improved security friendliness at Great Escape? Last year they were very rude, including yelling at me for not leaving the comet after close even though the op told them my restraint was jammed. Also another one blocked my mother from taking a picture of the carousel on the way out.

They're trying hard to get a better reputation, so in the past few years the parks have been cleaner, when you looked down a path at New England there were two rows of trashcans and recycle bins placed about fifteen feet apart that help the park stay clean. Also, the employees have been very enthusiastic, they give high fives while checking the trains! Six Flags is working very hard to make sure everyone has as close to a six flags day as possible!

And the ride ops at Six Flags Great America have been announcing that they are the cleanest theme park in the world.