So How do they keep expanding?

Cedar Point is landlocked. In fact they've been land locked for quite some time. I mean the whole park is on a Peninsula! I remember going in 1995 when they held the "world record" for most roller coasters at 11. I remember thinking "This is great, but there's NO WAY they can add anything else". Now its 2010, and Cedar Point has added 5 more coasters since then, including 2 that were the "world's tallest and fastest" at their debut, not to mention all the flat rides they've added. Obviously they've retired some stuff, like Demon Drop and White Water landing, but for the most part they just find room... how do they do it?

I think people might always just assume that Cedar Point is landlocked just because it's on a peninsula. In reality, they probably still have some room to expand. And yes, they do mostly tear down rides to build better ones. And they also have some way of FINDING room. Just look at this photo...

CP01.jpg

Well I do want to know for instance, where did they find room to cram Top Thrill Dragster in at? Its almost in the middle of the park, in an area that seemed full before! What moved, and what renovations did they have to do to accommodate such a coaster?

I'm always surprised and impressed with how CP finds a way to squeeze in new rides. For Millennium Force they had to relocate the Giant Wheel, Top Thrill Dragster they had to move the Trokia and Chaos, and they removed Mill Race and White Water Landing for Raptor and Maverick. I don't mind too much when they remove old rides, I only wish they would make a greater effort to build around the existing trees instead of removing them.

So how do they do it and more importantly how will they continue to do it? Creativity, imagination, removal the removal of old rides, and development of what little untouched land they have left. I predict we'll see a coaster that occupies Iron Dragon's former land and the parking lot next to Disaster in the next few years. Also I could see them removing the turnpike cars and building around Raptor and the theater. I don't think we'll see any press release from CP stating that they've run out of room and that there will be no new rides.

Yeah its very impressive. I remember when I went in 1995 I bought a souvenir map, but unfortunatley I've moved probably 5 times since then and I'm pretty sure it got thrown out since at the time I was only 15 and I hung it on the wall like a poster with scotch tape. I wish I still had it, I'd like to look at it and compare it to the park map I have now and see how much its changed.

Remember that Millennium Force was built simply by altering the basic design of a roller coaster and moving the Giant Wheel. After that we were given the most popular attraction in the park.

Keep in mind that quite a few companies do all they can to conserve as much space as possible. GCI is known for its compact twisters that occupy almost no space. There are also a few rides in the park that are reaching the end of their lives, but I have a feeling that I would be better off if I didn't say which rides those are.

EDIT: 200th post!

Let's talk about what kind of coaster CP would build if they were going to build another one. They already have an invert, stand up, hyper, giga, strata, LSM, bobsled, impulse shuttle, suspended, mine train, out and back woodie, twister woodie, hybrid racing, arrow corckscrew, and steel wild mouse. I could see CP demolishing Mean Streak and putting GCI, GG or an Intamin woodie right there. Besides Blue Streak, CP needs a really good woodie.

Let's talk about what kind of coaster CP would build if they were going to build another one. They already have an invert, stand up, hyper, giga, strata, LSM, bobsled, impulse shuttle, suspended, mine train, out and back woodie, twister woodie, hybrid racing, arrow corckscrew, and steel wild mouse. I could see CP demolishing Mean Streak and putting GCI, GG or an Intamin woodie right there. Besides Blue Streak, CP needs a really good woodie.

I don't think that removing a ride is necessary for a GCI woodie. They are known for their confined space which is why Cedar Point could use one. I agree they should complete their line-up of rides with a good, modern woodie. Of course we shouldn't talk about their line-up until the mid-August announcement... Oh no what have I done.

Guest Millennium

Cedar Point doesn't have a good woodie? HELLO? Blue Streak?

CP doesn't have a flyer, a floorless, a twister woodie, a dive machine, etc etc etc

I don't know if somebody said this, but they can get rid of the parking lot, then expand from there, out of the peninsula, then rebuild the parking lot...is that too much?

cp.jpg?t=1280168575

I felt like making this ;) I was bored. Notice there's also the beach, get rid of that area and add a small coaster/ride.

EDIT: This is kinda copying Cincyman98, so I'm sorry if that seems cheap :P

The top picture shows what spots they can put new rides, obviously the bigger ones would fit coasters the smaller ones would fit flat rides. This is if they DON'T REMOVE ANYTHING or RELOCATE ANYTHING. I also didn't include anything close to the Frontier Trail since I would like to see it stay intact, although there are plenty of locations there that would fit several flats.

The bottom picture shows how much of the property is park and how much is resort. Not really related, but I'm surprised how much of the peninsula is resorts.

CedarPointexpansion.jpg?t=1280172392

Guest Millennium

Um...do you know how much it would cost CP to tear down a hotel? Not only that, it won't happen for a long time. Not to mention CP expanding to the parking lot is a long shot. They will keep getting rid of rides with low ridership, rides that are hard to maintain, and sometimes rides that are tearing themselves apart.

Right now if CP would remove a coaster, most of us guess that it would be Disaster Transport or Mean Streak.

I doubt CP will ever have over 20 roller coasters...

Cedar Point doesn't have a good woodie? HELLO? Blue Streak?

CP doesn't have a twister woodie

Keep in mind that quite a few companies do all they can to conserve as much space as possible. GCI is known for its compact twisters that occupy almost no space.

:)

Um...ok? How is that in response to my post?

EDIT: This is kinda copying Cincyman98, so I'm sorry if that seems cheap tongue.gif

The top picture shows what spots they can put new rides, obviously the bigger ones would fit coasters the smaller ones would fit flat rides. This is if they DON'T REMOVE ANYTHING or RELOCATE ANYTHING. I also didn't include anything close to the Frontier Trail since I would like to see it stay intact, although there are plenty of locations there that would fit several flats.

The bottom picture shows how much of the property is park and how much is resort. Not really related, but I'm surprised how much of the peninsula is resorts.

CedarPointexpansion.jpg?t=1280172392

They could maybe remove Mean Streak and the Lighthouse Point Resort for a whole a new section of the park. And your right, they do have a lot of the peninsula as just resorts. I'm not really a Cedar Point expert so I might be wrong but maybe the Light House Point isn't that popular and not many people go to it. But we all know that Mean Streak isn't very popular and that could be removed for expansion or a coaster.

Cedar Point is not going to remove any hotels, if anything they will probably add more. Cedar Point doesn't want people from out of town to spend their money at Sandusky Hotels and restaurants they want that money at the park. Think about what makes more money for CP local teenagers that come for the day and maybe a drink and a hot dog or an entire family from out of town that spends multiple days inside the park, eating breakfast, lunch and dinner at CP and sleeping in a CP hotel. Thats why they renovated Breakers 10 years ago, just recently renovated Sandcastle, added Castaway Bay, and added Breakers Express a few years ago.