So How do they keep expanding?

cp.jpg?t=1280168575

I felt like making this ;) I was bored. Notice there's also the beach, get rid of that area and add a small coaster/ride.

That beach is the reason CP exist, before it was "America's Roller Coast" the park was known as "Queen of American Watering Place" (Also a title of a must read for any CP fan.) It is stil popular today with the resort guests, I don't see the beach going anytime soon.

The top picture shows what spots they can put new rides, obviously the bigger ones would fit coasters the smaller ones would fit flat rides. This is if they DON'T REMOVE ANYTHING or RELOCATE ANYTHING. I also didn't include anything close to the Frontier Trail since I would like to see it stay intact, although there are plenty of locations there that would fit several flats.

The bottom picture shows how much of the property is park and how much is resort. Not really related, but I'm surprised how much of the peninsula is resorts.

CedarPointexpansion.jpg?t=1280172392

The area highlighted by Planet Snoopy would be difficult to use, the historic convention center (not that CF cares to preserve history), coral courtyard, food service office, employee cafe, part of the administration offices, and food warehouse. However the Ocean Motion spot is available there. I cant see putting in a ride on the Hot Summer Lights Midway without the removal of Wildcat as circled. Inside the games is the Merch Warehouse, and in between Mean Steak and Gemini is the Planing and Design office but there is room around that one. Finally, the pavilions up front. The one immediately next to Raptor is for catered groups, but doesn't see much use now a days, but the front ones are for public use and are jammed packed every day. Removal of those would not sit well with many park goers.

They could maybe remove Mean Streak and the Lighthouse Point Resort for a whole a new section of the park. And your right, they do have a lot of the peninsula as just resorts. I'm not really a Cedar Point expert so I might be wrong but maybe the Light House Point isn't that popular and not many people go to it. But we all know that Mean Streak isn't very popular and that could be removed for expansion or a coaster.

LHP, and Camper Village are very popular and even though occupancy has been down at the Resorts, they are not going anywhere. They make money for the park, and help out attendence.

EDIT: Fixed Quote Box

• Like 1

They could maybe remove Mean Streak and the Lighthouse Point Resort for a whole a new section of the park. And your right, they do have a lot of the peninsula as just resorts. I'm not really a Cedar Point expert so I might be wrong but maybe the Light House Point isn't that popular and not many people go to it. But we all know that Mean Streak isn't very popular and that could be removed for expansion or a coaster.

I don't see them removing Lighthouse Point, especially for just a ride. Remember that the road to get to the Breakers is right there, and they would either have to build a giant bridge going over the road or re-route the road completely. In fact, most of the yellow line I drew on the second picture follows that road.

However I wouldn't be surprised if Mean Streak is to be taken down in about 5 years. They've been retracking it every year and I don't see why rebuilding entire sections is needed. It isn't like it's the parks most popular attraction.

I don't see them removing Lighthouse Point, especially for just a ride. Remember that the road to get to the Breakers is right there, and they would either have to build a giant bridge going over the road or re-route the road completely. In fact, most of the yellow line I drew on the second picture follows that road.

CP has already dealt with that situation twice, first was building perimeter road. The second solution is in between Magnum and Challenge Park.

Um..where did you hear it wasn't popular? It's looked busy as far as I can tell . . .

Come on, we all know that Mean Streak isn't popular. Nobody comes to Cedar Point for Mean Streak. When I was at Cedar Point on 7-12-10, my friend and I literally WALKED ON. After we walked from the entrance of the que to the station the gates opened and we walked right on the ride. There were probably only ten people in station.

I don't know if somebody said this, but they can get rid of the parking lot, then expand from there, out of the peninsula, then rebuild the parking lot...is that too much?

cp.jpg?t=1280168575

I felt like making this ;) I was bored. Notice there's also the beach, get rid of that area and add a small coaster/ride.

They can not expand on the beach. One a coaster in one of CF's largest resorts backyard, would not go over well with guests.

Guest Millennium

^^I was referring to LHP.

I don't know if somebody said this, but they can get rid of the parking lot, then expand from there, out of the peninsula, then rebuild the parking lot...is that too much?

cp.jpg?t=1280168575

They can not expand on the beach. One a coaster in one of CF's largest resorts backyard, would not go over well with guests.

Um..what?

Um..where did you hear it wasn't popular? It's looked busy as far as I can tell . . .

Come on, we all know that Mean Streak isn't popular. Nobody comes to Cedar Point for Mean Streak. When I was at Cedar Point on 7-12-10, my friend and I literally WALKED ON. After we walked from the entrance of the que to the station the gates opened and we walked right on the ride. There were probably only ten people in station.

I doubt you can walk on Mean streak right now just by some of the Facebook updates some Kicers are at CP today and said that mean streak had a full Que. Glad im at home today and out of the heat cuse it was a Hott day at Holiday World yesdary at least they have free drinks.

^^I was referring to LHP.

cp.jpg?t=1280168575

Um..what?

Haha, terrible wording. What I was saying you can not put a coaster in Hotel Breaker's backyard.

I've been riding Mean Streak since 2006 and I've never waited longer than a one train wait. And I've visited on days when Top Thrill Dragster was at 2 and a half hours, Millennium was 2 hours, and Mantis was an hour and a half. I haven't ridden Mean Streak in a year or so, but on every visit before that it's been a dead ride. To this day I've never seen it send out full trains.

And again, when was the last time you heard someone say "I can't wait to get to Cedar Point and ride Mean Streak! It's going to be so much fun!" I'm sure people said it opening year. People probably said it for 2 or 3 years after. Certainly not recently.

I could see them taking it out and building something bigger,better than it and it would be wooden too because they are overdue for a wooden roller coaster now!

Hold on there, we all know what happened last time someone tried to make a wooden rollercoaster "bigger"... wink.gif

2dqk19c.png

I could see a ride starting around Mean Streak, or where Mean Streak sits, and going out and back somewhere where the black lines are. Similar to Magnum which starts at the edge and goes way back.

Every few years the "ZOMG Cedar Point is landlocked therez no room! Taer it down!" conversations strike up, and yet CP keeps on expanding. The resort is far, FAR from being out of room. They've a great bit of creativity in adding new rides, and commitment to revamping the older (and slightly run-down) parts of the park (see: Frontier Town from 2005-7, Frontier Trail this year, likely Oceana midway next) parts of the park.

I'm a little surprised that they built their new Ivory Tower right on the Peninsula, as it would make sense to move non-essential park operations services off Point, but they still have plenty of room.

And again, when was the last time you heard someone say "I can't wait to get to Cedar Point and ride Mean Streak! It's going to be so much fun!" I'm sure people said it opening year. People probably said it for 2 or 3 years after. Certainly not recently.

So by this logic Cp can remove Mine Ride, Iron Dragon, Wild Mouse, Disaster Transport, most of the flats, and some of the shows and restaurants. I know I do not go for the shows, restaurants, or flats. Cp has plenty of space and is not going to remove a coaster let alone Mean Streak unless it falls down, when was the last time Cp removed a coaster.

The rides/shows/restaurants you listed do not require annual retracking. Mean Streak suffers from the "Dinn Shuffle" that many of the wooden coasters of the time suffer from. The ride is tearing itself apart and Cedar Point is using money to fix it, just so it can stress itself again...

I'm not even saying that Cedar Point should take it down for room, I'm saying they should take it down because it's a terrible investment. They're loosing money keeping it open, and they wouldn't loose money if they didn't.

I can truly say I went to Cedar Point my first time in 2004, and I must say it was for Mean Streak. I was still kind of afraid of heights, and really liked wooden roller coasters. I was really dissapointed because it was closed when I went the first day. However, the second day we drove around perimeter road and saw it testing. It was the first thing we ran too. Again... I was dissapointed. I like the ride and will ride it, but it could be so much more.

As for expansion, it never ceases to amaze me what these crews do. One must be very good at a jigsaw puzzle.

Every wood coaster has to have the track or structure worked on almost every year and MS is no exception but it has never been retracked. BS had track work done , Gemini has structure work done almost every year, that is the nature of wood structures outdoors in the elements. MS is a great ride and has the same problems as any wood coaster, hasn't Beast been reworked to keep it from tarring itself apart, how about Son of Beast.

Every wood coaster has to have the track or structure worked on almost every year and MS is no exception but it has never been retracked. BS had track work done , Gemini has structure work done almost every year, that is the nature of wood structures outdoors in the elements. MS is a great ride and has the same problems as any wood coaster, hasn't Beast been reworked to keep it from tarring itself apart, how about Son of Beast.

There's a difference between seasonal upkeep and life support. Yes, all wooden coaster receive some sort of retracking, but Mean Streak passes the point of ridiculous. It's the Dinn Shuffle. Dinn built their coasters in a way that the train exerts too much force on the track, which tears up the track and roughens up the ride beyond the acceptable level. This is why Texas Giant is getting the makeover. I'm pretty sure most people who rode Mean Streak its opening year can agree that it was smooth(er) compared to now. This is after years of retracking, rebuilding parts, and trimming the heck out of the ride. The average speed of the ride can't be more than 35-40 mph, yet it still receives more complaints than almost every other wooden coaster as far as roughness is concerned. It's all a reflection on how the ride was built and how poor design can lead to a short service life.

Like Terpy said you would have to build a very strong boardwalk in order to make it last through the winter and the problem with that is a robust structure could affect the beach along the Chaussee which has some very expensive houses including that of a certain Cedar Fair CEO.

The other thing to remember is that the whole boardwalk rumor, although interesting, was started by Jeff Putz webmaster of Coasterbuzz and Pointbuzz. It was a supposed to be a joke and not based on any inside info or industry buzz. It's right up there with Magnum is sinking and the green Millennium Force train.

Like Terpy said you would have to build a very strong boardwalk in order to make it last through the winter and the problem with that is a robust structure could affect the beach along the Chaussee which has some very expensive houses including that of a certain Cedar Fair CEO.

The other thing to remember is that the whole boardwalk rumor, although interesting, was started by Jeff Putz webmaster of Coasterbuzz and Pointbuzz. It was a supposed to be a joke and not based on any inside info or industry buzz. It's right up there with Magnum is sinking and the green Millennium Force train.

But the green train did exist. I rode it when the ride used to go over the boardwalk. laugh.gif

Guest Millennium

The rides/shows/restaurants you listed do not require annual retracking. Mean Streak suffers from the "Dinn Shuffle" that many of the wooden coasters of the time suffer from. The ride is tearing itself apart and Cedar Point is using money to fix it, just so it can stress itself again...

I'm not even saying that Cedar Point should take it down for room, I'm saying they should take it down because it's a terrible investment. They're loosing money keeping it open, and they wouldn't loose money if they didn't.

You really have no idea if they are losing money, yesterday the ride had a 45 minute line.

I rode it in June and everyone in my group thought it was a fun ride. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you need to make up facts. I'd love to talk to the CP executive who told you "the ride is tearing itself apart".

^^ If building a structure to withstand the weather as a boardwalk is daunting, imagine what it would take to build a coaster that actually sat in the lake.

Not to mention the fact that Cedar Fair doesn't actually own Lake Erie ;)