Holiday World

Dbfan

In 2005, I went to Holiday World for the first time. I was excited, but not too excited. What I remember from that trip is that it was hot and humid, and the rides were not that great. Legend was fun, Raven was overrated, and Liberty Launch was fun. The waterpark is where I spent half my day, and I really enjoyed it. After this, I didnt see the point of riding 3 hours to that when KI is 2 hours away and much better in my opinion. Now here we are five years later, and Holiday World has grown. I went there last Friday, and what an experience.

Friday. It was getting close to 90 degrees. There was a heat advisory. I expecting crowds, but it was Holiday World, it's in the middle of nowhere. When we got there about 10min after opening, it was already starting to get packed. I don't know if it is because KK is closed, or just because it was a hot day, but this park was packed. First off, I ran straight to Voyage because I had to ride what most called the best wooden roller coaster. I really like the line leading up to Voyage. It is creative and not just your typical walk back and forth in the heat queue. The line took 20 minutes and it really did move fast. It lived up to expectations. I don't get how Holiday World does it, but they never deliver a mediocre ride, all their new rides are great. The whole ride was absolutly amazing, and even without the timberliners it is without doubt my #1 woodie. It is also a totally different ride front and back. 10/10. Speaking of the Timberliners, they were right next to the station and I took about 5 minutes looking at it. it didnt look ready, but it sure did look great.

Next up was Pilgrims Plunge. A nice easy 10 minute wait. I didnt get where all the people I saw in the parking lot were at this time. I would find out later. The best part of this ride is of course the ride up. When that elevator started tipping near the top I felt my stomach drop. I can ride TTD and not feel a thing, but this creeped me out. Im on a little elevator in a boat and if I slide back its a long fall. The drop was okay, and it stopped too sudden, but all in all it is a pretty good ride, and would be better if it wasnt so far from everything else. 7/10. Next, I ran to Legend to try to finish the coasters before the crowds really got heavy. Legend was a 1 hour wait, and I really liked it. 8/10. Then Raven. 1 hour wait because of course they have one train running thanks to the Timberliners. I don't get why so many people love this ride, sure its cool location, but really its a very short coaster will virtually no air time and lasts very little. 5/10.

After this, I decide its time to head to the waterpark, its a hot day and im getting sweaty, I grab my 4th of 14 free soft drinks, and head over to the waterpark. WOW. I don't think I have ever seen this many people in one area. The lines for the soft drinks were 7-10 minutes. Food was 15. Even the small slides had 45 minute waiting times. All the big ones were 1 hour plus, with the better ones upwards of 2 hours. I grabbed a bite to eat of very cheap pizza, and decided that I wanted to ride Wildebeest, who cares about all the other slides. 2 hours later, I finally sat in my seat on Wildebeest and hung on. Yes, it took 2 hours. The queue was good, but they had these hoses running with ice cold water that made everyone in the line miserable. It would feel good if it was a little warmer, or it was mist, not just sprayed water from a hose. The ride Wildebeest was great, the first hill after the first drop had some airtime if you sit up front, and it really was a great ride. Not worth a 2 hour wait, but still really fun. 9/10.

At this point, my 6 hours in the park is almost done, so I decide to head over to Voyage to see the lines. Everyone must have been in the waterpark, because I rode that thing 3 times in 20 minutes to end the day. This really made my day a bit better. I was able to at least ride something with a short line. All in all, Holiday World is a great little park. Problem is, there is way too much hype for there rides for the size of the park to handle. What they need to do is spend some money, widen and redo the paths so they are not so confusing, and limit the amount of people you let in, I think Disney does that at times. It really could make the park more enjoyable. It was a pretty good day, im glad I went, but unless Holiday World gets something special, I don't see myself going there for 3 more years.

Ride Count:

Voyage:2

Ravage:2

Legend:1

Raven:1

Wildebeest:1

Pilgrims Plunge: 1

Total rides in 6 hours 30 minutes: 8. (3 in the last 20 minutes)

-Dbfan

Guest Millennium

You say Voyage is your number one wooden coaster, yet you say they need something new to get you to come back?

..err, ok.

Where did you sit on Raven? I've had airtime every single ride on that coaster.

...At this point, my 6 hours in the park is almost done, so I decide to head over to Voyage to see the lines. Everyone must have been in the waterpark, because I rode that thing 3 times in 20 minutes to end the day. This really made my day a bit better. I was able to at least ride something with a short line. All in all, Holiday World is a great little park. Problem is, there is way too much hype for there rides for the size of the park to handle. What they need to do is spend some money, widen and redo the paths so they are not so confusing, and limit the amount of people you let in, I think Disney does that at times. It really could make the park more enjoyable. It was a pretty good day, im glad I went, but unless Holiday World gets something special, I don't see myself going there for 3 more years....

IF they did what you suggest, they'd HAVE to raise admission prices substantially to make the same amount of money. Perhaps triple...or raise the food prices to Kings Island levels...or charge the same price for drinks that others charge.

The park was packed. It has been most of the summer. It was last year. And the year before. Their plan works.

You also suggest they need to spend some money. Are you serious? Compare the park you went to the time before last to what you saw. Holiday World is incredibly successful, which has allowed them to spend the money they have, which has made them more successful, which has given them more money to invest, etc.

You know what? What they need to do is not listen to your plan. If they did, the place would be yet another small park wondering how to make it in the future. Not only that, but as you said, the park is in the middle of nowhere. If they were to limit the number of people they let in, they'd be turning people away...people who have driven from as far as Nashville in many cases, and even further in some. People who would be FURIOUS. Disney can do that, as they have other parks to send them to. Holiday World has in the way of other parks...a parking lot. By doing what they have, under Pat and her late son Will, the park has blossomed into one of the biggest and best run small parks in the country, with a well deserved national reputation.

And Raven has tons of air...where'd you sit? In the middle somewhere because you chose not to wait? It's best seats are the front and the rear....and after you had waited what you had, a little bit more to get a great seat is not a terrible sacrifice. Surely those quick rides you got on Voyage included a front and a back seat ride? On wooden coasters, airtime-wise, it's location, location and location....

I couldn't find anything wrong with HW, honestly. The way they run the place is how it should be done.

I agree windshawne. For me it is really hard to decide, 2 hr drive for KI or 3 hrs for HW. No they don't have DB, but everything else about the place makes up for it.

And Raven has tons of air...where'd you sit? In the middle somewhere because you chose not to wait? It's best seats are the front and the rear....and after you had waited what you had, a little bit more to get a great seat is not a terrible sacrifice. Surely those quick rides you got on Voyage included a front and a back seat ride? On wooden coasters, airtime-wise, it's location, location and location....

I did sit middle seat, I will try front next time. It was hot and I was ready to go to the waterpark.

And as for what people are saying: I never said I disliked Holiday World, I think its wonderful the work they are doing there. Yes, it is a much better park than when I went last time, but for me its just enough. The park just started getting national publicity, and continues to gain momentum, I think the oppurtunity is golden for that park, but I dont think its at that level where I want to be going there every year. I only have time for 3 to 4 park visits a year, and for me, that long just for Voyage, Legend, LL, and a great waterpark is still not enough. Yes it was fun, yes I enjoyed it, Holiday World is growing and I like that, but its still a small park, and it still has room for growth in my opinion.

Quoted for truth. With all due respect to Terp, Raven can be a very tame and (personally) uninteresting ride in just about any row but the last two, though the front car does get some good laterals at times. The back is FILLED with random, delicious ejector air. In fact, Raven's first drop in the back car is bar-none my favorite first drop on any coaster- the unnerving feeling of falling straight into a tunnel just can't be beat for me.

I wouldn't count Raven out just yet. After all, even Diamondback has its less-than-stellar rows...

Terp, Kelli, and Brad said it all right there..... living where I do, its not only easier, but a shorter trip distance and time wise for me to go to KI..... and there is a reason I have been to HW 8 times this year and have yet to make it to Mason.

My $.02

While I respect other's great enjoyment for HW, I personally have never been bowled over by the park. It has lovely employees, and is very clean. It has some fun rides, and a terrific waterpark.

However, it cannot hold my attention for more than a few hours. Now if I had a young family, I'd probably rave about HW. It's designed and structured specifically for a family experience.

My main issues are that I find the layout EXTREMELY cumbersome and to the novice... confusing. Many (newer) areas of the park are giant areas of bright, light colored concrete or asphalt with little to no shading. In addition, I find Voyage to be one of the roughest coasters I've ever ridden. I've never understood the overwhelmingly glowing reviews of that ride.

I had my best experiences at HW as an attendee at the now defunct Stark Raven Mad events. Riding Raven and Legend in the pitch dark was, quite frankly, unequaled by any other Enthusiast/ERT events I've ever attended. (My gosh they were insanely fun!) However even then, I couldn't fathom how people spend an entire day... let alone weekend... in the dry park only.

What amazes me about HW is it's avid, and avidly defensive, fan base in the coaster community. Quite frankly, if you don't have glowing things to say about HW, then you run the risk of being chastized for it. (Not saying that is happening in this thread... however...) It's almost as though it's viewed as saying something negative about someone's Grandmother, or kicking a puppy. HW has many of the same issues other parks are reamed for. However it's "reputation" precedes it.

Given the choice of visiting Holiday World or the likes of Hersheypark, or KI, or CP, or WDW, or IOA, or BGW, or Knoebels, or Dollywood etc etc etc... I'd choose one of the latter. They just offer things more in line with my attention span.

Shaggy

For me HW was not just about the coasters although they were great. ( Although Voyage gave me a bit of a headache. Legend was actually my fav.) Its about the whole package-the charming atmosphere ( Loved the grandmotherly woman, for example, introducing the the turkey shoot ride.), the wonderful prices ( free parking, reasonable food prices), the FREE DRINKS!!! ( EMPHASIS ADDED.), the quality of the food, the spic and span grounds and bathrooms, need I say more? You summed it up perfectly, Terpie.

I have not yet had the pleasure of Knoebels or Dollywood, and I most definitely want to because of many good reviews I have gotten from Friends concerning the rides as well as the atmosphere those parks provide. I will also definitely agree with you on your account of WDW, as I too would put WDW above HW, mainly as you said for the amount of entertainment they offer. I really wish I would have been involved in Club Events when Stark Raven Mad was being held, as I have heard many say the same thing you did about it being the best special event they had ever been to. I think the reason people, myself included, have a soft spot for HW is the fact that they do things that a small park shouldnt be able to "afford to do" like the free parking/sunscreen/drinks they provide as well as going above and beyond the call in areas such as giving everyone a comp ticket to return to the park last weekend when a severe storm caused them to make the decision to close the park 3 hours early. Granted, I know as well as you do that those "free items" are built into the admission cost, but the point remains that they do things that multi-billion dollar Corporate parks SHOULD be doing as a way of saying "hey, we actually care about you people who dropped $50 to get into this place". Would I Love to see another World Class coaster at HW, possibly steel? Well heck yeah. Do I absolutely agree with you that HW isnt a weekend park, especially just the dry side alone? Heck yeah I do. However, I am definitely still pleased more than enough with the way the park is operated and the rides they do offer (IMHO Voyage stomps Beast up and down the tracks, and one B&M hyper does not a good park make) to make many a trip there every season. I really do enjoy reading your thoughts and opinions on things park and industry related, as with Terpy, I respect them greatly.

Given the option between a visit to Holiday World and Dollywood, I would likely pick Dollywood. While they both have about the same amount of roller coasters (depending on what your stance is on Blazing Fury), the atmoosphere at Dollywood is far superior, in my opinion. Not to mention the first rate live shows that Dollywood has. On one of my prior visits to Dollywood, we arrived at the park around 9:30 and didn`t ride a single ride until around 2:30 in the afternoon, with all the time being occupied by live shows!

As with anything, each park will have its loyal fan base, and it will also have those that can`t stand the place. That is just the nature of having different people who have different likes and dislikes and viewpoints.

^(IBEW Sparky) You hit the nail right on the head with that one...there's just something about HW that makes me think they care a heck of a lot more about guest satisfaction than any CF or SF park I've been to (though Magic Mountain was very good too).

Something else too: I bet you that on any given day the ratio of enthusiasts: GPers is higher at Holiday World than mostly any other park. This would probably be because of the awesome coasters, great prices and deals, and AMAZING customer satisfaction. Nowhere can even come close.

Now recently Voyage moved down on my coaster rankings (sorry Voyage, El Toro is just too good), but I'll still continue to go. Other companies need to learn that there's a heck of a lot more to making a park good than world class coasters (which HW also has)

But if you are looking at ratio alone, Holiday World is still a somewhat smaller park than most of the corporate parks. And even still, enthusiasts make up only a handful of the overall attendance. They are a mere drop in the bucket, even at parks like Holiday World. What Holiday World has realized, moreso than most other parks, is that the enthusiast community can be a very powerful (and nearly free), marketing tool to help attract even more general public attendance.

While I respect other's great enjoyment for HW, I personally have never been bowled over by the park. It has lovely employees, and is very clean. It has some fun rides, and a terrific waterpark.

However, it cannot hold my attention for more than a few hours. Now if I had a young family, I'd probably rave about HW. It's designed and structured specifically for a family experience.

I can absolutely respect that, and I apologize to anyone who could have very easily taken my last post as the "THOU SHALT NOT SPEAKETH POORLY OF HOLIDAY WORLD" type. That's not at all what I meant by it; I just know that, for me, Holiday World does it all right. Part of the perfect park experience for me is seeing other people have fun, too, irregardless of if they're in my group. And besides markr's points (as well as my intense love for riding [and reriding and reriding...] all three coasters) Holiday World fills this PERFECTLY for me.

I can't tell you how many times I've ridden one of their coasters with at least one person in the train who's never been on it before (or even been on a coaster before). This usually happens on Raven with younger (7-11 year old) kids, and nine times out of ten they get off the ride smiling and/or racing back to the entrance for another go. This is quite honestly something I don't see much of at Kings Island, Cedar Point, or any other park I've been to; the gap from "young kids' rides" to "big coasters" has no truly comfortable middle ground. Sure, from our enthusiast perspectives, we can point out that BLSC, Racer, or AE is kid-friendly-- and that's not to say that they aren't-- but what rides are there out there that's equally loved by the ride warrior and family communities alike?

At Holiday World, Raven and arguably Legend seem to have the best of both worlds: appeal to the "experienced" and beginners alike. And it's for this reason I dearly love the park so: you can easily see whole families ride these together, sometimes for the first time, and have the time of their lives. And that's just the start: with Howler and Voyage, the park also caters to the earliest beginners and the most "experienced," respectively.

Indiana Beach says "there's more than corn in Indiana," but I say "there's more than Voyage at Holiday World."

-TombRaiderFTW, who has reasons for wanting to design coasters professionally...

Guest Millennium

Terp, Kelli, and Brad said it all right there..... living where I do, its not only easier, but a shorter trip distance and time wise for me to go to KI..... and there is a reason I have been to HW 8 times this year and have yet to make it to Mason.

My $.02

My main issues are that I find the layout EXTREMELY cumbersome and to the novice... confusing. Many (newer) areas of the park are giant areas of bright, light colored concrete or asphalt with little to no shading . In addition, I find Voyage to be one of the roughest coasters I've ever ridden. I've never understood the overwhelmingly glowing reviews of that ride.

I had my best experiences at HW as an attendee at the now defunct Stark Raven Mad events. Riding Raven and Legend in the pitch dark was, quite frankly, unequaled by any other Enthusiast/ERT events I've ever attended. (My gosh they were insanely fun!) However even then, I couldn't fathom how people spend an entire day... let alone weekend... in the dry park only.

What amazes me about HW is it's avid, and avidly defensive, fan base in the coaster community. Quite frankly, if you don't have glowing things to say about HW, then you run the risk of being chastized for it. (Not saying that is happening in this thread... however...) It's almost as though it's viewed as saying something negative about someone's Grandmother, or kicking a puppy. HW has many of the same issues other parks are reamed for. However it's "reputation" precedes it.

Given the choice of visiting Holiday World or the likes of Hersheypark, or KI, or CP, or WDW, or IOA, or BGW, or Knoebels, or Dollywood etc etc etc... I'd choose one of the latter. They just offer things more in line with my attention span.

Shaggy

Is that really a complaint? You want shading, go inside or ride a water ride.

And I love Knoebels, but how do you mention that as a park with more to do than HW .. ?

I love Holiday World because of the value...I dont feel like im being ripped off like I do at Cedar Point. I have had a platinum pass the last three years, didnt renew this season...I honestly felt like I got more for my money at Six Flags Great America. I mean we got buy one get one tickets on their website, the refillable soda cups and the flash pass for 4 people... And it ended up being about 60 bucks a person.

Getting off topic a little, so back to Holiday World. We have gone every year for the last 3...It is my 2nd favorite place after Disney...I mean for the money, you cant beat the place. Two day tickets were $56.95 at Lake Rudolph. Food was really reasonable. The waterpark is top notch IMO. The wooden coasters are so much better than what KI and CP has to offer. But the atmosphere is the best thing about the park. The layout may be a little confusing, but once you have been there a couple times you know where to go.

IMO Holiday World is the best value, and one of the greatest parks around.

Yes, it's a complaint. I don't care for overly unshaded areas.

Go inside? Ride a water ride? Is that really a SOLUTION? Oy vey!

And I love Knoebels, but how do you mention that as a park with more to do than HW .. ?

Where did I say it had more to do than HW? I didn't. It just appeals to me more than HW ever has.

My opinion, you're not going to change it.

Right when I hear the words no shade or unshaded, I automatically think of Boomerang Bay. Which leads me to my question - does Splashin' Safari have enough shade you won't die?

Guest Millennium

Where did I say it had more to do than HW? I didn't. It just appeals to me more than HW ever has.

My opinion, you're not going to change it.

But how does it appeal to you more than HW ever has? More shade?

Guest Millennium

Right when I hear the words no shade or unshaded, I automatically think of Boomerang Bay. Which leads me to my question - does Splashin' Safari have enough shade you won't die?

Not much. But all the slides make up for it. Maybe you can get a tan out of it.

I was at HW Yesdary but I didnt go in the Water park but there are some spots of shade in Splashin Safari just got to find them.

Obviously folks are missing my point, yet ironically, prooving it.

First, let's get this out of the way... again... I personally think the newer areas of HW have large areas of concrete/asphalt with little to no shading. That INCLUDES Splashin Safari.

But the larger point I was making is many larger parks, such as KI's Boomerang Bay or Action Zone... or Cedar Point... or Knotts... etc all have areas that suffer from the same issue. However, because Holiday World is "beloved" by so many fans, it's shortcomings and flaws are often overlooked. Many folks are quick to defend HW's flaws yet hold it against other parks, that's been exhemplified here.

Second, when I said I'd prefer other parks over HW, I meant it. I don't find HW to be among my most fufilling park experiences.

*SHOCK! HORROR! BLASPHEME!*

I'd much rather go to a handful of others if given the choice. Top of the list would likely be KI... hence the reason I am posting on a KI fansite and not a HW fansite. (Apparently that fact gets lost easily LOL!)

I try not to compare parks to parks... that's like comparing apples to oranges in many instances. However I know my tastes and what holds my interests. HW holds my interest for about 1/2 a day. That's not saying I don't enjoy it... it simply means I don't find enough to hold my attention. I can have a good time there, and have, but don't care to spend full or multiple days at the park.

Think of it this way... that's actually good news for you folks that may seem upset by my opinion... it means one less suburned person in line ahead of you at HW ;-)

Shaggy

Guest Millennium

No one ever yelled Blasphemy..I'm simply asking you a question.

What does KI have that HW doesn't?

Thrills? No, HW has Voyage, Raven, Legend, PP, LL, Wildebeest, the list goes on and on.

Cleanliness: Um...no.

Variety: When I go to Kings Island I ride maybe two flats, at HW I ride Gobbler Getaway, Turkey Whirl, Eagles, Pilgrims, Wildebeest, Zoombabwe, the list goes on and on again!

Food choices: From a black bean burger to a loaded baked potato salad pizza, HW has just as many choices in terms of food than KI does.

Theming: Neither have as much as Disney, but HW has just as much if not more than KI.

And all you have said that's against HW is they don't have enough shade...

Guest Millennium

In addition, I find Voyage to be one of the roughest coasters I've ever ridden. I've never understood the overwhelmingly glowing reviews of that ride.

I thought the exact same when I rode it. Try the front seat. ;)

How is it your #1 wooden coaster when you only love it in one seat? :blink: