Holiday World

Dbfan

I think I'm going to stay off Maverick personally-the turns appear a little too rough for my liking.

It's all a matter of what you are looking for in a park. HW is great for the family atmosphere, KI is great for the thrills. I especially enjoyed the antique shop (can't remember the name) at HW. I saw things in there I had as hand downs from my folks-and boy I would give anything to know where that stuff is now. I haven't been to dollyworld, so I can't comment on that one.

What does KI have that HW doesn't?

Variety: When I go to Kings Island I ride maybe two flats, at HW I ride Gobbler Getaway, Turkey Whirl, Eagles, Pilgrims, Wildebeest, Zoombabwe, the list goes on and on again!

that's your own fault you only ride two flats at Kings Island, there are many more there to ride, for you to say you choose to ride two flats at one park and you ride more than that at another doesn't make the latter a better park.

And all you have said that's against HW is they don't have enough shade...

he did not say that's his only reason, he said there just doesn't seem to be enough there for him to stay entertained, that doesn't mean shade is the only thing that entertains him.

Guest Millennium

Variety: When I go to Kings Island I ride maybe two flats, at HW I ride Gobbler Getaway, Turkey Whirl, Eagles, Pilgrims, Wildebeest, Zoombabwe, the list goes on and on again!

that's your own fault you only ride two flats at Kings Island, there are many more there to ride, for you to say you choose to ride two flats at one park and you ride more than that at another doesn't make the latter a better park.

he did not say that's his only reason, he said there just doesn't seem to be enough there for him to stay entertained, that doesn't mean shade is the only thing that entertains him.

I addressed the comment that said there isn't enough to be entertained. The park has numerous attractions and probably the best variety of an amusement park I have ever been to. The park is beautiful, the staff is great, the water park is top notch. And it is a park you have to go to, to understand. Have you been to Holiday World?

Onto your first comment, I'll state that there are better quality flat rides IN MY OPINION at HW than at Kings Island. And to be honest, a lot of others think the same thing. KI has Crypt, which is dull, Delirium, which doesn't compare to Maxair, some small spinny ones, a dark ride, some kids ones, and Drop Tower (not Drop Tower is a great flat.)

I don't think you attended Holiwood Nights, but an event like that is also Kings Island would never measure up to, or even Cedar Point, imo.

first off, no, i have been unfortunate in the sense that i've never been to holiday world, but that has nothing to do with me defending shaggy. :rolleyes:

just looking at holiday world's web-site, there is something comparable to a majority of everything holiday world has ride wise to what Kings Island has, excluding the roller coasters and water slides.

and why on earth are you comparing max air to Delirium before comparing Delirium to anything at holiday world?

Guest Millennium

Sorry DBfan for interrupting your trip report. Holiday World is my favorite park so I always can get defensive about it! ;)

first off, no, i have been unfortunate in the sense that i've never been to holiday world, but that has nothing to do with me defending shaggy. :rolleyes:

just looking at holiday world's web-site, there is something comparable to a majority of everything holiday world has ride wise to what Kings Island has, excluding the roller coasters and water slides.

and why on earth are you comparing max air to Delirium before comparing Delirium to anything at holiday world?

WHAT??!! KI has nothing like HW's Flying Eagles, The Freedom Train, a play area such as Holidog's Treehouse, Gobbler Getaway (Just because they are shooting rides they are not alike), Lewis and Clark Trail, Pilgrims Plunge, Wildebeest, all of their coasters, Zoombabwe, Bahari, etc. :)

And my point was, if you went to HW, which you haven't, you would (probably) find the magic of the park there. That is exactly what happened when I visited Knoebels, Dollywood, and even the beautiful Belmont Park far west.

Did you read my post? You would pick out one comment I made about maxair to nitpick through. It seems to be a recurring theme for you to nitpick through my posts when I wasn't talking to you in the first place. :blink:

Onto your first comment, I'll state that there are better quality flat rides IN MY OPINION at HW than at Kings Island. And to be honest, a lot of others think the same thing. KI has Crypt, which is dull, Delirium, which doesn't compare to Maxair, some small spinny ones, a dark ride, some kids ones, and Drop Tower (not Drop Tower is a great flat.)

this is what i was referring to, a great number of the flats at holiday world have clones that are located at Kings Island, as well as various other amusement/ theme parks around the globe.

btw, i'm sorry that i defended someone that had a different viewpoint from yours.:)

Guest Millennium

this is what i was referring to, a great number of the flats at holiday world have clones that are located at Kings Island, as well as various other amusement/ theme parks around the globe.

btw, i'm sorry that i defended someone that had a different viewpoint from yours.:)

Let me guess: You saw my post, went to Holiday World's website, went under Family Rides, looked at the pictures of their flat rides, and assumed they were clones of the ones at KI even though you haven't even ridden them, not to mention visited the park in the first place. Am I right? :)

And I wouldn't care if you made a comment on the topic too, you just came in and said that with no relation to the first post. Now when me and Shaggy are done talking, you come in and start another argument.

At least three rides that appear to be the same at both parks actually have virtually no relation experience wise to each other:

Monster at Kings Island vs. Paul Revere's Night Ride. The latter is a much smaller park model Spider, and is a far more thrilling ride.

The Scramblers at the two parks are night and day different. Kings Island's has been slowed to an incredible extent. Holiday World's has not.

And the swings at Holiday World are far more thrilling than Zephyr is at Kings Island.

I don't see why people are arguing on this guys trip report! I really don't! You can't compare Holiday World to Kings Island! One is a family park with a traditional local park atmosphere. The reason many thrillseekers get bored in less than a day is because the park isn't "built around" thrillseekers. The Voyage is the only ride at Holiday World that is catered to adults (and I still see just as many kids ride it as grown-ups!)

If someone has a family then they could easily spend all day at Holiday World. Just as a thrillseeker could easily spend all day at Cedar Point.

Kings Island is the middle ground. It offers enough thrill rides to keep the thrillseekers happy, but it also offers enough for families to do.

And the swings at Holiday World are far more thrilling than Zephyr is at Kings Island.

Not to mention brightly colored and themed to the area!

At least three rides that appear to be the same at both parks actually have virtually no relation experience wise to each other:

Monster at Kings Island vs. Paul Revere's Night Ride. The latter is a much smaller park model Spider, and is a far more thrilling ride.

The Scramblers at the two parks are night and day different. Kings Island's has been slowed to an incredible extent. Holiday World's has not.

I did have never ridden the Scrambler at Holiday World. However, if you want an intense and fast Scrambler ride in the Cincinnati area, head on out to Coney Island. And, it is situated right on the shores of Lake Como.

No one ever yelled Blasphemy..I'm simply asking you a question.

Thrills? No, HW has Voyage, Raven, Legend, PP, LL, Wildebeest, the list goes on and on.

Cleanliness: Um...no.

Food choices: From a black bean burger to a loaded baked potato salad pizza, HW has just as many choices in terms of food than KI does.

Theming: Neither have as much as Disney, but HW has just as much if not more than KI.

Incorrect.

All you have READ, and decided to retain, is the part about the shade. ;-)

In this thread, I also said:

-HW's dry park does not offer (enough) things that hold my interest from more than 1/2 a day.

-I find Voyage to be extremely overrated and rough.

-I find the layout cumbersome and confusing to novices.

I could list other things (such as "cleanest park." It's clean, but not the cleanest I've been to.) But - repeating myself - I try not to compare one park to another. They all offer different things, some better, some worse.

The following was stated:

Holiday World is my favorite park so I always can get defensive about it!

Bingo - that was exactly my point all along... there are people that are so passionate about HW (all entitled to that opinion) that they can be blinded to the fact that others may not share their feelings.

I don't share your opinion, but I am not negating it. I posted my original $.02 because I agreed with a number of the points in the original TR. Also, I strongly feel that a person's experiences should not be negated based simply to root for a favorite park.

Finally, a disclaimer:

My expression of opinions on this board is not done in a defensive or malicious manner, so please don't ever interpret my posts in that way. Direct I am, a sourpuss I am not ;-)

Guest Millennium

No one ever yelled Blasphemy..I'm simply asking you a question.

Thrills? No, HW has Voyage, Raven, Legend, PP, LL, Wildebeest, the list goes on and on.

Cleanliness: Um...no.

Food choices: From a black bean burger to a loaded baked potato salad pizza, HW has just as many choices in terms of food than KI does.

Theming: Neither have as much as Disney, but HW has just as much if not more than KI.

Incorrect.

All you have READ, and decided to retain, is the part about the shade. ;-)

In this thread, I also said:

HW's dry park does not offer (enough) things that hold my interest from more than 1/2 a day.

I find Voyage to be extremely overrated and rough.

I find the layout cumbersome and confusing to novices.

I could cite other things (such as "Cleanest park." It's clean, but not the cleanest I've been to.) But - again repeating myself - I try not to compare one park to another. They all offer different things, some better, some worse.

The following was stated:

Holiday World is my favorite park so I always can get defensive about it!

That was exactly my point all along... there are people that are so passionate about HW (all entitled to that opinion) that they can be blinded to the fact that others may not share their opinion.

I don't share your opinion, but I am not negating it. I posted my $.02 mostly because I agreed with a number of the points in the original TR, and I strongly feel that a person's experiences should not be negated based on simply rooting for a park.

Finally, my expression of opinions on this board is not done in a defensive or malicious manner, so please don't ever interpret my posts in that way. Direct I am, a sourpuss I am not ;-)

I understand..the park itself to me has so many things to offer that appeal to me that I forget that it might not appeal to everyone. While the Voyage is my favorite coasters, lots of days it has been running rough and I question whether it should be #1. To me, HW has everything, water park, rides, atmosphere, and great service. What I look for in an amusement park though isn't huge thrills (I would much rather ride Raven all day than Top Thrill Dragster) but everything I mentioned.

I don't see why people are arguing on this guys trip report! I really don't! You can't compare Holiday World to Kings Island! One is a family park with a traditional local park atmosphere. The reason many thrillseekers get bored in less than a day is because the park isn't "built around" thrillseekers. The Voyage is the only ride at Holiday World that is catered to adults (and I still see just as many kids ride it as grown-ups!)

If someone has a family then they could easily spend all day at Holiday World. Just as a thrillseeker could easily spend all day at Cedar Point.

Kings Island is the middle ground. It offers enough thrill rides to keep the thrillseekers happy, but it also offers enough for families to do.

Not to mention brightly colored and themed to the area!

Must respectfully dissent from your opinion that CP is only a thrill park with no family/middle of the road attractions attractions. There are two great kids areas ( Planet Snoopy and Camp Snoopy), three great water rides, not one but two antique car rides, a first class carousel, a beautiful ferris wheel, need I go on? Plus great shows and a very family friendly Holloween event ( Holloweekends ) which in my opinion is much more family friendly than Holloween Haunt. I know I am digressing from the discussion about HW but I just feel CP gets such a bum rap that they are not family friendly.

^ Yes, I agree that there's plenty for everyone to do at Cedar Point, but it's mainly aimed at thrill seekers. There's something for everyone to do at Holiday World, but it's mainly aimed at families. I think families are going to have more fun at Holiday World and thrill seekers are DEFINITELY going to have more fun at Cedar Point, but everyone can find fun at some degree in both.

Coming from a person who visited both Holiday World and Cedar Point quite a bit when I was younger, and now find myself staying at Cedar Point a little bit more and Holiday World a little bit less. I support both parks equally because they both do what they set out to do.

...which brings up what is for me one of the most interesting questions in the industry, and has been since KECO left Kings Island:

Today and for the foreseeable future, just exactly what target audience is Kings Island attempting to reach and how does it intend to do that? Family park? Thrill park? Show park? Theme park? Amusement park?

Under Paramount, the park's direction became very blurred, until at the end when it was clear they were attempting to go in the family/sort of theme park direction. It was always amazing to me that they did not put much effort into shows...and early on they had attempted to go the thrill park direction, with prototypes even.

Where to next? And how to get there?

It is always easier to get to where you are going if you know where you want to go. If you don't know, any road will take you there.

Cedar Point

Holiday World

Dollywood

Knoebel's Amusement Resort

These parks, just to name a few, have a clear vision of what they are and where they want to go. Does Kings Island?

Look at the super emphasis on special entertainment last year. This?

Look at the way Diamondback was marketed: Your first ride could be your last. (Notice that seems to have totally disappeared...perhaps the lawyers finally talked some sense into them).

Look at The Fun & Only (whatever that means, and used for every Cedar Fair park, even in areas where park ads overlap, such as Columbus...)

Look at Come and Smell the Funnel Cakes. On second thought, don't look.

Where is the park going in the future? And have some forgotten the Q?

Know your market. Superserve it. Exceed its expectations. Focus. And market to it relentlessly.

In addition, I find Voyage to be one of the roughest coasters I've ever ridden. I've never understood the overwhelmingly glowing reviews of that ride.

I thought the exact same when I rode it. Try the front seat. ;)

How is it your #1 wooden coaster when you only love it in one seat? :blink:

Because that one seat is......holy......omfg.....wow. If you catch my drift. :)

These parks, just to name a few, have a clear vision of what they are and where they want to go. Does Kings Island?

Does Holiday World really know their direction? If you are saying small family park, then why are they building huge attractions almost annually? At this pace, in 10 years Holiday World won't be that small family oriented park.

^ Called progress and keeping up with the times. HW is not like Coney. HW would go out of business eventually if nothing new was never installed.

Yes, but Holiday World doesn't just add small rides each year, they are adding very large rides. Its hard to be a small park like Holiday World and keep up with the crowds that are coming from these new rides.

I don't feel like quarreling over petty matters. Especially on someones trip report.

So I'll comment on the trip itself:

So what time of day did you ride Raven? An hour is extremely long. Normally the waits for me exceed no more the 30 minutes. Near the beginning of the day, Raven and Legend are long because that tends to be the first things that GPers in the park hit. But around 1 o'clock those lines are pretty short. Around 3 o'clock lines are practically nonexistent in the dry park. On account that most of the public is in SS. Lines in the waterpark will be long most of the day because waterslides tend to have low capacity and more guest tend to flock there on hot days.

I hope that your next visit is a more enjoyable one. Next time you visit, you should try more flats. HWs' flat tend to be surprisingly enjoyable. And on the coasters try the front row of the back cars; they tend to pack on the airtime while limiting roughness.

Guest Millennium

In addition, I find Voyage to be one of the roughest coasters I've ever ridden. I've never understood the overwhelmingly glowing reviews of that ride.

I thought the exact same when I rode it. Try the front seat. ;)

How is it your #1 wooden coaster when you only love it in one seat? :blink:

Because that one seat is......holy......omfg.....wow. If you catch my drift. :)

Lol, I do agree.

Guest Millennium

I don't feel like quarreling over petty matters. Especially on someones trip report.

So I'll comment on the trip itself:

So what time of day did you ride Raven? An hour is extremely long. Normally the waits for me exceed no more the 30 minutes. Near the beginning of the day, Raven and Legend are long because that tends to be the first things that GPers in the park hit. But around 1 o'clock those lines are pretty short. Around 3 o'clock lines are practically nonexistent in the dry park. On account that most of the public is in SS. Lines in the waterpark will be long most of the day because waterslides tend to have low capacity and more guest tend to flock there on hot days.

I hope that your next visit is a more enjoyable one. Next time you visit, you should try more flats. HWs' flat tend to be surprisingly enjoyable. And on the coasters try the front row of the back cars; they tend to pack on the airtime while limiting roughness.

Well I'm pretty sure Raven is using 1 train still, so that makes it longer. And on Voyage if you're looking for a smooth ride, the back is not the place to sit.

^Yes it is. It will until be until the end of August. But even with one train, the waits after the morning crowd are normally minimal. I have personally never had to wait over 20 minutes.

And the front of the back car seems to be significantly smoother than the very back row, without giving up much airtime.

I did ride it in the morning because I really wanted to get to the waterpark. I was extremely hot already, and decided to ride Raven while I was by Legend before heading to the Water Park for the rest of the day.

The best gameplan for a sucessful day without long waits is to hit the Voyage as soon as the park opens. If the line is under 10 minutes hit it again. After one or two rides on Voyage, go hit some flats until SS opens (4th of July is normally empty at this time). Once SS opens get in your slides you want to hit. Around 1 or 2 o'clock leave Splashin' Safari and coaster after coaster because normally the lines are dead around this time until 4 or 5. Doing it this way, I've gotten a total of 17 coaster rides in a single day. (This specific day was even on a very busy 4th of July) :P