The Day My Mom Conquered

CincyMan98

Today I was proud of my mom. Why? She hadn't ridden a decent coaster since 16 years old. Actually, she hadn't even ridden The Racer since then. Last night, my mom was planning our trip to KI. I thought it would be a good day for her. I kept begging her, "Please please please ride rides with me!" She thought about it over night. In the morning I woke up, and I knew - this was the day my mom conquered.

At about 9:30 we left to my grandparents house, who live 5 minutes away from KI. Emily (my four year old sister) went to ride Planet Snoopy rides with my Grandma and Grandpa, while I was about to ride Diamondback alone. My mom finally thought herself through, and got in line with me. I was happy! :lol:. It was about a half hour wait (today was an unbelievably crowded day, 30-45 minute waits for everything). I could tell she was shaking. We got the very middle - good idea for a person who is afraid to ride! Going up the lift hill, my mom was looking side to side, muttering, "It's high...oh my gosh....". Then the drop. She was laughing so hard, especially over the hills. On the camera I posed as I was yawning. My mom had a huge smile on her face and her hair was flying backwards. After it, she was still laughing and wanted to ride it again (HAH! I'm not waiting in that line again).

I knew if she rode that, she could ride everything at the park. Next was BLSC. My mom didn't like. She didn't like the quick transistions on it (sounds like Maverick), and I the same. I don't really like that ride.

Next was X-Base. We rode Flight of Fear. In line, my mom was asking me a ton of questions on what the ride was like. She said she was "scared of the unknown". I gave her my sinister look, and my evil laugh. She heard the launch of the coaster, and wanted to leave. I told her it wasn't that bad! On the launch, she was laughing once again. The whole ride she was screaming and laughing. Obviously she likes roller coasters!

After that she was disoriented, but I wasn't done. We rode Firehawk, which my mom HATED. She said it was way too disorenting and made her queasy. On the first drop she loved it, but once the loop came, her smile turned to a frown. Oh well.

That was the end of our riding, by 12:00. It was way too crowded for anything else. We ate lunch at the Festhaus, and watched all of Way Too Much TV. Good show! I may have been growing up in the 2000s, but I love most theme songs to 70s and 80s shows!

This is how my mom rated the rides:

Diamondback - 10/10

Flight of Fear - 8/10

Firehawk - 4/10

Backlot Stunt Coaster - 4/10

This. Was. The. Day. My. Mom. Conquered.

Good for her. I always try to get coaster "noobies" on Diamondback first, because like you said, when they like Diamondback, they are willing to ride anything. I don't suggest a Beast ride though, she may not want to ride coasters again after it.

I always try to get coaster "noobies" on Diamondback first, because like you said, when they like Diamondback, they are willing to ride anything.

Count Drop Tower out of the list of "willing to ride anything"

*Has taken many friends to Ki and has ended up alone on DT*

Exactly! I will ride any coaster out there (other than TTD, just still terrified of that 420) but you can stuff rides like DT and Power Tower and the likes. I finally did get on an S&S launch ride this year... Liberty Launch at HW... but its only 74 feet as opposed to 270 or whatever DT and Power Tower are.

Good for her. I always try to get coaster "noobies" on Diamondback first, because like you said, when they like Diamondback, they are willing to ride anything. I don't suggest a Beast ride though, she may not want to ride coasters again after it.

She doesn't want to ride The Beast. When she last rode it (in the early 80s) she hated it, because of the roughness. So I didn't make her go on it.

She doesn't want to ride The Beast. When she last rode it (in the early 80s) she hated it, because of the roughness. So I didn't make her go on it.

My mom won't ride that either.

Way to go Mom.

My wife was like that last year. She went to the parks and the most thrilling thing she would do was the Ferris Wheel. We finally got her on Diamondback at the end of the season. Fast forward to now, she has ridden 149 different coasters including the 3 tallest coasters in North America. I think she figured out that she would rather ride then wait for us to ride.

Guest Millennium

Way to go Mom.

My wife was like that last year. She went to the parks and the most thrilling thing she would do was the Ferris Wheel. We finally got her on Diamondback at the end of the season. Fast forward to now, she has ridden 149 different coasters including the 3 tallest coasters in North America. I think she figured out that she would rather ride then wait for us to ride.

Off topic, but why is MF considered taller than S: The Escape even though the latter is taller?

Rough day at work. I come home and read this, which made me very, very happy! Congratulations to you both...especially your Mom.

As to this:

Exactly! I will ride any coaster out there (other than TTD, just still terrified of that 420) but you can stuff rides like DT and Power Tower and the likes. I finally did get on an S&S launch ride this year... Liberty Launch at HW... but its only 74 feet as opposed to 270 or whatever DT and Power Tower are.

Any coaster out there other than TTD? You're on. I got to get you to Kingda freaking Ka! :) It's just 456...nice little coaster it is...in the front seat of a car!

Way to go Mom.

Off topic, but why is MF considered taller than S: The Escape even though the latter is taller?

Because Superman the Escape is listed as SBNO on rcdb. If I/she can't ride it, it doesn't count. I have also been told that even when it did operate, that it never went close to going all the way up. So while it did/does have track that high, you don't actually go that high like you do on the others.