Winterfest

Guest Millennium

Guest Millennium

Why was this ended and is there a chance it could be brought back? The description on KICentral made it sound great but it is 5 years outdated, lol. I would definitely visit.

Winterfest's last resurgence was little more than a window dressing to woo potential buyers of the park. The unpredictable weather of Ohio in December, coupled with a heavily extended Halloween season, spelled the end for WinterFest.

(Wasn't Busch Entertainment looking at the parks around this time?)

Edit: Replaced "Diamondback's" with "WinterFest's"

The nitty gritty if why Winterfest was ended was attendance mostly due to weather. Winterfest cost a lot to pull off, but they were not getting the attendance figures they thought they would, so therefor were not generating enough revenue to justify having it as an event.

Just like it was posted earlier, Winterfest will not return to KI as long as Cedar Fair owns the park, and I doubt any other owners will attempt to pull it off either.

Diamondback's last resurgence was little more than a window dressing to woo potential buyers of the park. The unpredictable weather of Ohio in December, coupled with a heavily extended Halloween season, spelled the end for WinterFest.

a. I think you mean Winterfest's last resurgence...

b. Among many other rumored bidders was Busch...though it would really have surprised me if that were truly the case...given what has happened to the Busch theme parks since...

Diamondback's last resurgence was little more than a window dressing to woo potential buyers of the park. The unpredictable weather of Ohio in December, coupled with a heavily extended Halloween season, spelled the end for WinterFest.

a. I think you mean Winterfest's last resurgence...

b. Among many other rumored bidders was Busch...though it would really have surprised me if that were truly the case...given what has happened to the Busch theme parks since...

Well that's odd... I didn't even notice I did that, and it's been days since I discussed Diamondback. Interesting. The human brain is a very strange thing.

• 2 years later...

Have to Play Bumpasaurus Rex with this one and Imagine what a Kings Island Winterfest would be like nowadays. With the easy accesibility of LED Lighting and with the Trees and Areas already basically decorated for Snoopys starlight spectacular, I can only imagine what Winterfest would be like now. Throw it in as a Perk for Gold pass sales, Use the Fun Perks Program for free ice skaing passes or Hot Chocolate. Theres so much that could be done now... Could you imagine a Drop on Diamondback... In December?!?! Awesomeness!!

I believe this would probably occur,

Any kind of season pass holder will only get 10% to 0% off the price, which is only $5 less than the price for regular admission.

Publication of this event would have to spread to every point of the Tri-State area.

Some sort of "key" attraction would have to be added to increase the attending persons of the event, such as a "Santa" themed movie, and or a publication of a Peanuts Christmas special in the "FX Theater"

Major purchases of lights and Christmas decor must occur, if the Kings Island does not still have any Christmas decorations.

The Kings Island property will have rivalry from the Bontanical Gardens & Zoo, Creation Museum, and the Union Terminal.

My main consensus on the whole idea. The attendees of the event will probably go for a night, or may possibly go for a few nights, which will make profits, if any, small for Cedar Fair. Some of which will probably be some sort of Kings Island enthusiast, most being from KIC. I want for this to return, I would go as many times as I and my wallet can, but in the business section, it is a variable. With the cold, x being people, x will be smaller than x attendance in the warmer months of the year. With all being taken into consideration, the possibility of a possible Winterfest lies in the eyes of the beholder, many negatives come to the profits, with many positives to the profits. Should it return for a test run in 2013? I would hope, but I would think that the possibilities will be slim.

On another note, a plan for a "KIC WinterFest meet up" (If there is one)

Where to meet first? The E-Tower

When? Opening

What? Walk about the park, ride the operational rides

Official Name? KIC's 20__ WinterFest Special!

Who? BB1

Not everything revolves around Christmas. Why do you think schools have winter breaks instead of Christmas breaks? Why wasn't Winterfest called Christmasfest? If the park decides to start up this project again, it won't revolve around a fat man in a suit or nativity scenes. Generic holiday decor such as snowmen is more than likely to pop up.

I'd love to see Winterfest return. I went in the 80s with my parents every year and loved it! I wanted to go in 2005, but unfortunately didn't get the chance to. I'd really love to go again, however, I don't really see that happening. I think if people want to go to a "Winter" themed event in the area, they'd probably just go to the Festival of Lights at the Cincinnati Zoo. Of course there are no rides there, but there are plenty of lights to look at, ice skating, hot chocolate/coffee, and various shows and attractions...not to mention animals. I feel KI would have to offer something pretty special in order to compete with the Festival of Lights or to make it worth their while in bringing it back.

On a side note related to an above post, the zoo has a Nativity scene on display at the Festival of Lights and Walt Disney World had several of them on display during their Christmas season the last time I was there. I don't see why KI couldn't have one during their winter event if they ever decided to have one again.