The Beast Helix Tunnel

israel09

If you were to extend your arm horizontally, could you strike the tunnel?. or is it just designed to appear that close

(not that i would do that) lol.

Yeah, im still bored

Why would you Stick your arms out when it says Keep ur Arms hands inside the car at all times. but yes you can hit ur hand on the Helix wall.

I have personally discovered the answer to this question....Yes you can hit the tunnel. :lol: It was not a fun experience and I recommend keeping your arms in the car. I wasn't hurt enough to require attention by first aid, but it still hurt a lot and there is still the potential to do a lot of damage to yourself if you hit it right.

• Like 1

As I wrote earlier this summer:

Do be aware you do NOT want your hands up as you enter the helix tunnel, especially if you are sitting on the left side of the train. Your hands, if you are at all tall, CAN hit the tunnel and it will sting at best. There is a good reason for the CAUTION, KEEP YOUR HANDS DOWN AND INSIDE THE CAR warning on that lifthill....

http://www.KICentral...ndpost&p=387711

A long, long time ago, Terpy and another poster here (who shall remain nameless) were riding the front seat of Beast, and that other poster had, as always, his hands high in the air. As we entered the tunnel, I heard a sound as if the wind was being sucked out of the other rider. When we got off the ride, he was bleeding quite profusely from the knuckles of his left hand. He learned a lesson that day....

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21983&view=findpost&p=387995

If you were to extend your arm horizontally, could you strike the tunnel?. or is it just designed to appear that close

(not that i would do that) lol.

Yeah, im still bored

Why would you Stick your arms out when it says Keep ur Arms hands inside the car at all times. but yes you can hit ur hand on the Helix wall.

Well people stick there hands up, someone might get bold and have poor depth perception and stick there arms out to the side, then the g-forces would pin there arms outside of the car, then BLAM!! Doesn't sound so far-fetched now does it? lol

It's not just the side wall you can hit...you can hit the ceiling, too...

DO NOT TRY IT.

There is a reason for the warning...it's not just theming.

Read post 5 in this thread....

Yeah i wouldn't ever do it, I always keep put my hands in right at top of hill. Just like left seat on Flight of Fear, those beams seem pretty close. lol

(i love when The Interpreter post , lol he's like the Dark Night of the forums)

i'm almost 100% positive that now there are clearance specifications that have to be met in order for a ride to open to the public, but i'm not sure why The Beast hasn't been changed for more clearance, you'd think it would be anyway, or at least i do.

While new rides must adhere to tougher regulations, that does not mean that older rides have to. Older rides become grandfathered in. Much the same way that older buildings do not have to adhere to the most current building codes. Now if there are significant alterations to said building, it muse be brought up to the current building codes.

i figured age had something to do with it, but i wasn't sure if that would apply since the barn (as the tunnel surrounding the final helix is referred to in my family) is something separate from the actual ride itself.

anywho, thanks for clearing that up for us. :)

I can personally confirm that one can indeed strike the tunnel. Years ago, when I was less wise, my arms were raised high as the train thundered into the helix tunnel. I was sitting on the left side of the train. Note that I am of average height (5'6"). I was lucky to escape with only a cut and a bit of bleeding.

As we coasted back to the station, a certain sign had a newfound resonance..."The Beast is always lurking in ambush". Lesson learned.

i'm almost 100% positive that now there are clearance specifications that have to be met in order for a ride to open to the public, but i'm not sure why The Beast hasn't been changed for more clearance, you'd think it would be anyway, or at least i do.

There are, but that doesn't mean supports are completely unreachable.

There is a support on Magnum just before the bunny hills that people would try to touch all the time, as well as a support on MF coming off MI that people would reach for.

It never made sense to me. Why would you want to hit something with the tips of your fingers going 50+ mph? I did hit the helix tunnel on Beast with just the tips of my fingers by accident, and dang, did it hurt.

There are many signs on both lift hills that say keep hands and arms inside the car at all times but i think people ignore them because there on almost every coaster. The tunnel almost gives the apperance you need to duck.

"KEEP ARMS DOWN AND INSIDE CAR."

Maybe they actually *gasp* meant it.

There are many signs on both lift hills that say keep hands and arms inside the car at all times but i think people ignore them because there on almost every coaster. The tunnel almost gives the apperance you need to duck.

I actually have ducked...3 of the 4 times I've encountered the Helix on Beast.

PS: I also, very strictly, follow the "keep your hands in the car" warnings on every coaster I have ever ridden. I don't want to take the chance of losing my hands/arms/etc.

lol I had no idea you could hit the tunnel. I usually try to always keep my hands up on all coasters, but wooden ones are so rough its hard to keep them up so naturally on The Beast I put my hands down, not to mention in the tunnel the tunnel I always felt like I was going to hit my head or get decapitated anyway from the optical illusion. But wow so you really can hit the tunnel?