King Corbra Kings Island

Mantis Cedar Point

Shockwave Kings Dominion

Skyrider Canadas Wonderland

Chang Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom

Georgia Scorcher Six Flags Over Georiga

Vortex Carowinds

Cobra La Ronde thanks KIcoastergirl

I have only been on King Cobra & Mantis. I must say that I personally thought King Cobra was more comfotable (seats and restraints) and Mantis was smoother (but not by much).

Im not really fond of Flyers or Standups but King corbra was the best Stand up I have ridden.

King Corbra Kings Island

Mantis Cedar Point

Shockwave Kings Dominion

Vortex Carowinds

You forgot Cobra at La Ronde!

My order (best to worst) is as follows:

Cobra at La Ronde

Georgia Scorcher at SFOG

Chang at SFKK

Iron Wolf at SFGAm

Sky Rider at Canada's Wonderland

Mantis at Cedar Point

Vortex at Carowinds

Shockwave at Kings Dominion

King Corbra Kings Island

Mantis Cedar Point

Shockwave Kings Dominion

Vortex Carowinds

You forgot Cobra at La Ronde!

My order (best to worst) is as follows:

Cobra at La Ronde

Georgia Scorcher at SFOG

Chang at SFKK

Iron Wolf at SFGAm

Mantis at Cedar Point

Vortex at Carowinds

Fixed lol.

Guest Millennium

The one thing that I find interesting about Cobra is that the track looks almost EXACTLY like B&M's does. I thought it was a B&M coaster at first glance.

My ranking of stand ups I have been on, space is intentional to show the steep drop off between 3 and 4.

King Cobra KI

Skyrider Canada's Wonderland

Shockwave KD

Iron Wolf SFGAm

Mantis CP

Chang SFKK

Vortex Carowinds

I enjoy Togo stand ups with KC being my favorite, Skyrider is my favorite operational stand up. The B&M's I find painful and ruff. I have yet to find a stand up that does not crush a certain part of the male anatomy.

I've never ridden an older TOGO standup, but from my experiences on B&M Standups they are nothing more than a gimmick. Mantis has a great layout, and if the trains were floorless it would be a very good ride. Older standups seem to be better since they are shorter and more to the point.

I think stand-ups are the one example where B&M did their usual business of "plussing" a pre-existing concept by making it taller, faster, more twisted, better capacity, etc. but even though it looks fantastic on paper, it just didn't work out all that well. You'd be hard-pressed to find someone who hasn't experienced or heard of the (for lack of a better word) uncomfortable sensation that their complex layouts leave in your legs. So yeah, B&M did "improve" on TOGO's simple design in some ways. But looking at the big picture, it just didn't work out well. They got their money back when stand-ups were a hit, but looking at it now, it's a really clear gimmick. So are hypers and inverts, sure, but I don't think that's how the public sees it..

Here's something I wonder: Can standing coasters easily be transitioned into floorless coasters? Is it simply a new train that's required? I'm sure it could be that simple, but something tells me B&M would not approve it - standing coasters are specially designed with a raised heart-line for all the transitions and inversions, right? Still, I can't think of a single stand-up B&M that wouldn't benefit from a transition to a sitting, floorless coaster, even if it does feel a little "off" from a physics point of view.

Stand-ups have a special place in my heart because after my first ride on King Cobra I started to like roller coasters and not fear them like I had before. I was heartbroken this year when I visited Kings Dominion on Opening Day and saw Shockwave on the "Not Operating" list of rides for that day.

I've ridden and like from favorite to least favorite:

Georgia Scorcher

Mantis

Chang

King Cobra

Vortex

Scorcher is just an awesome ride to me. Mantis has an AWESOME first half, but after the mid-course it gets really rough. Chang seemed so smooth that it actually relaxed instead of thrilled me. King Cobra had an awesome layout and I still miss it to this day. Vortex was just plain rough, but had a really good layout.

On a side note, has anyone noticed that Mantis is running trimless this year? I've been to The Point 4 times this year and haven't heard that familiar noise of grabbing trims as the train goes down the first drop on any visit yet. Don't think the ride is necessarily better tough. Angie and I rode it and the mid-course now grabs harder.

My list is the same as KICoasterGirl plus King Cobra

Chang at SFKK

King Cobra at KI

Cobra at La Ronde

Georgia Scorcher at SFOG

Mantis at Cedar Point

Vortex at Carowinds

Iron Wolf at SFGAm

There are only 2 operating in North America that I have not ridden. Riddler's Revenge at SFMM & Vortex at CGA.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not a fan of stand up coasters. Having said that here are the stand ups I have been on.

Riddler's Revenge at SFMM

King Cobra at KI

Georgia Scorcher at SFOG

Mantis at Cedar Point

Vortex at Carowinds

Iron Wolf at SFGAm

Riddler's Revenge is my favorite out of these.

I like standups - my favorite was King Cobra. I still enjoy Mantis.

It is just a totally different feeling that you get in your legs as you complete the circuit. KC "seats" were definitely more comfortable than Mantis "seats", but I also think the change in style of shorts (think 11-13" short length with a longer rise, versus what your dad or grandpa used to wear in the 80's) also adds to the discomfort.

Mantis has a great layout, and if the trains were floorless it would be a very good ride. Older standups seem to be better since they are shorter and more to the point.

I'm thinking that a floorless standup would be be a bad idea :D, but agree with the short and to the point thought.

Also a factor here is age. Back when you two rode King Cobra you were, to put it gently, younger people.

Tis true...

What we enjoy as teens and tolerate as older adolescents we may well come to dislike in our forties and plain old avoid in our fifties and beyond. Look around, see how very few older adults ride Mantis? Tis true...

That being said, I had an 80+ year old friend who loved Georgia Scorcher, but I submit she was "the exception that proves the rule."*

(*A Daffy concept, if you think about it.)

I've ridden:

King Cobra - KI

Chang - Kentucky Kingdom

Vortex - Carowinds

Mantis - CP

King Cobra was my favorite of all of those. I like them all, but KC was so much better IMO than all the others, especially front seat!

I didn't ride Shockwave or SkyRider since when I went to KD and CW, KC was still standing and I just saw them as clones. Plus I wasn't counting credits then. If I ever make it back to those parks while those coasters are still around, you can bet I'll ride them now!