Old Son of Beast trains

BeastForever

A few years ago at FearFest I remember seeing cars from the old SOB trains near the front entrance in the grass areas. They had skelotons in them too. Anyone else remember this? I can't remember if it was either FearFest 06' or Fear Fest 07'. I thought this was a great prop! Maybe since they had skelotons in the trains maybe this explains why everyone thinks that people died on Son of Beast!tongue.giflaugh.gifsmile.gif

• Like 1

They actually had some gut to do that knowing the controversy around the ride. The rumor has been going around since the loop was removed (everyone at my school seems to think that the train balanced itself upside down and by time the workers saw it everyone had fallen out... :lol:)

The same park that said:

Diamondback, your first ride may be your last!

One of these days, the park is going to deeply regret some of these marketing slogans/maneuvers

LOL I remember that commercial. I think I even commented on how the slogan didn't make sense.

Honestly Diamondback isn't even a "scary" ride. Its just 5,282 feet of pure fun!

The same park that said:

One of these days, the park is going to deeply regret some of these marketing slogans/maneuvers

LOL I remember that commercial. I think I even commented on how the slogan didn't make sense.

Honestly Diamondback isn't even a "scary" ride. Its just 5,282 feet of pure fun!

Maybe it isn't scary to you, but I know people that are so terrified of heights they can't even use a ladder. I think 200 + feet in the air would be horrifying to them, lol.

The same park that said:

It will all come back to Bite them in the Behind. Trust me Ive seen it happen to many of people.

The same park that said:

Maybe it isn't scary to you, but I know people that are so terrified of heights they can't even use a ladder. I think 200 + feet in the air would be horrifying to them, lol.

I agree, I took my mom on Diamondback the other day for the first time and she said that that was her last time. She really didn't like being that high in the air. The whole ride she had her eyes closed because of how high it was.

• Like 1

Then a couple of years later, they topped it with skeletons, celebrities and a local tv station...

Do you mind me asking what you are referring to? Was this an ad, or a news segment? I'm clueless, but intrigued.

Last years (distasteful) dead celebrity displays set up for Halloween Haunt. The "preview" given to a local TV station sparked a pretty big backlash against the park, the video was picked up by CNN / MSNBC / some of the networks and the displays were quickly toned down.

LINK - Dayton Daily News

Kings Island amusement park in Mason has removed a controversial scene from its upcoming Halloween Haunt event, set to open this Friday, Sept. 25, according to park spokesman Don Helbig.

“We were not intending to be distasteful, and we apologize if we offended anyone,” Helbig said in a statement released Thursday, Sept. 24.

And the "no limits...no person and no thing is off limits" aspect of Halloween Haunt was then greatly de-emphasized.

Ah yes.

Honestly, I much prefer the Halloween festivities at Cedar Point to Kings Island... KI's stuff always seemed to go a bit to far, and seems a bit too forced. With last year's addition of GA Boeckling's Eerie Estate and Happy Jack's, they really raised the bar (or at least moved their bar up to Knott's level). I appreciate the attention to detail and a good scare, which is especially rich in CP's new haunts.

Oh, I thought that was funny, and just a little rib..nothing bad IMO.

Not to get the whole debate started again, but...

Skeletons made up like famous people (dead or alive) would probably have been fine (skeleton Sonny and Cher at a mic, skeleton Houdini in chains, etc).

Skeletons set up to reenact the way people died is, IMO, in poor taste. The Steve McNair murder / suicide set up was completely inexcusable.

For reference:

LINK - Image

^^ If your brother hung himself in his favorite Superman pajamas with a green hat and it was all over the news, would you want a skeleton in Superman pajamas and a green hat whose purpose is to parody your brother hanging from a tree at an Ohio theme park's Halloween event? All of the celebrities whose deaths were re-enacted by those skeletons had family and friends who undoubtedly heard about it. It was not funny. It was not intended to be funny. It was intended to be "hard core." Hard core, indeed...

Or, it was cynically intended to get lots of publicity, after which the park would apologize, having accomplished its original aim...

And I would hope to think that Mr. Scheid did not sign off on that plan. Mr Helbig, either, for that matter.

This is what I mean by the Halloween event being "forced." HHN at Universal, Knott's Scary Farm, and even HalloWeekends at CP all enjoy great reputations for their events, and none have had to resort to this type of trash.

And the "no limits...no person and no thing is off limits" aspect of Halloween Haunt was then greatly de-emphasized.

Ah yes.

Honestly, I much prefer the Halloween festivities at Cedar Point to Kings Island... KI's stuff always seemed to go a bit to far, and seems a bit too forced. With last year's addition of GA Boeckling's Eerie Estate and Happy Jack's, they really raised the bar (or at least moved their bar up to Knott's level). I appreciate the attention to detail and a good scare, which is especially rich in CP's new haunts.

Knott's level... Not even close buddy.

Ah yes.

Knott's level... Not even close buddy.

The quality of those two particular Haunts? I would disagree with you. John Taylor did an outstanding job with the design, and the actors did a very impressive job carrying it through. They are in a completely different class than the other, sophomoric efforts efforts at CP (and KI, for that matter). I'm excited to see what he does with their new Asylum which is set to replace the ancient Undertaker U this season.

Working as a haunt actor, I just have this to say:

You come to a haunted attraction, you are expected to see hardcore elements. If you don't like those types of things, then don't go! Simple as that.

As for the display, I thought it was both brillant and funny at the same time. Again, if you don't like haunted attractions, and portrayals of death, you shouldn't be going anyway. Secondly, the way I remember it, KI had a kids attraction during the day, and at 7:00pm, the park was geared for those 14 and up. So I have yet to see something that is completely wrong with these images. It was something that the media didn't agree with, and therefor the rest of society, the lemmings that they are, decided it was wrong as well.

Ok, I'm done with my rant.

^ Hmmm, maybe you just went on a good day. I for sure didn't see Knott's quality. I'll have to check it out again this fall. :)

I was lucky enough to do lights-on walkthrus of both new haunts last year before the lights went out and the characters came in as part of a media preview event, so I did have a better chance to soak up all the details. That having been said, I loved the design and layout (and length!) of Eerie Estate, and the creativity of Happy Jacks was awesome.