Future owner of Kings Island

BeastForever

Guys, just be happy with all the rides. It's an amusement park for thrills, not for theme. You got season passes to ride rides, didn't you? Then be happy with it.

sometimes, goin to a park is more than just the darn ride. i go for multiple things like:

*remembering past experiances

*to see friends

*cause i work haunt

*the food

*the atmosphere (aka-theming)

*the shows

why else would i drive over 2hrs to go to a park??? the rides are just a perk.

so before you become acute to the rides, obtuse your mind to the full expierance.wink.gif

Guys, just be happy with all the rides. It's an amusement park for thrills, not for theme. You got season passes to ride rides, didn't you? Then be happy with it.

sometimes, goin to a park is more than just the darn ride. i go for multiple things like:

*to see friends

*cause i work haunt

*the food

*the shows

so before you become acute to the rides, obtuse your mind to the full expierance.wink.gif

You just added to my point. Do you really need theme to make it a fun day at Kings Island?

*to see friends

*cause i work haunt

*the food

*the shows

You just added to my point. Do you really need theme to make it a fun day at Kings Island?

i was note'n that you was just pointin out the rides & rides ONLY, where i added SO much more.cool.gif

^ Not to seem rude, but says who? By being "decent at best," is that supposed to mean that no one truly loved them?

I'm sure there are some that believe those movies are the best movies ever made, just like some believe SoB is the best wooden coaster out there.

Yet, just because some people love them, does not make it above a decent movie.

If you polled movie goers (not coaster enthusiasts) asking what is their favorite Paramount movie, I have no problem stating that those movies would not enter the discussion.

I stand on neutral grounds with everyone else here. I was never around to see Kings Island during the Taft/KECO/Linder days, but I have enjoyed both Paramount and CF. When it comes to Paramount, they delivered great themes with MOST of their new attractions. The themes were, for the most part immersive and really brought the rider a new level of adventure (TR, IJST, FoF). However, while building the rides with great themes, Paramount destroyed the theme of the different areas of the park by just placing those new rides wherever they darn felt like it. TR did not fit the theme of Rivertown, IJST should have been built in Action Zone (between Delirium and SoB) but it was built in Coney Mall, which did not fit the theme at all and at the same time caused the removal of two classic favorites that really fit well into that area. Also, Flight of Fear did not fit in with Coney Mall either. Lets not forget the beginning of the loss of theme in Oktoberfest (Bubba Gump's).

Now in terms of Cedar Fair, sure they were never good at theming (or for the most part, just did not care about it whatsoever), but I think that they have been getting better over the last few years. I would say that after purchasing the Paramount Parks, Mr. Kinzel and the CF design department learned a little more about theming from them, and they have been trying to get better at the subject. Just look at the rides that Cedar Fair has built over the last few years. They have all had a theme to them, maybe a loose theme, but a theme in general. Rides like Maverick and Shoot the Rapids, which are two of Cedar Point's newest rides, have a loose theme to them, and they are both built in the only themed area of Cedar Point. Also the fact that CF teamed up with Dale Earnhardt Enterprises just to be able to theme two new coasters after races by the NASCAR racing legend. I think that Cedar Fair has been helping to restore the areas of Kings Island little by little (minus the Oktoberfest clock) an example of this is X-Base. Sure it is not listed as its own individual area, but thats because it is not big enough to be considered an area. X-Base is much more appropriate for FoF and Firehawk than just being a part of Coney Mall. Also, sure rivertown has had many trees removed, but if I remember correctly, the area was becoming run-down and the buildings were beginning look terrible. Cedar Fair restored the older buildings (DB trading Post, etc..), renamed wings to Rivertown Junction and themed Diamondback to where it would fit in with the "Rivertown" theme. How is that ruining Rivertown? (actually the part of rivertown by the train station and rivertown junction is still very much shaded and somewhat peacefull and secluded. Another thing to put into perspective is that in the last 4 years CF has owned KI, they have pretty much reworked the theme in the entire south side of the main park. (PS, and rivertown).

Phew..........

KIBOB, sorry for the unusually long post, just wanted to give my viewpoints.

^ Not to seem rude, but says who? By being "decent at best," is that supposed to mean that no one truly loved them?

I'm sure there are some that believe those movies are the best movies ever made, just like some believe SoB is the best wooden coaster out there.

Yet, just because some people love them, does not make it above a decent movie.

If you polled movie goers (not coaster enthusiasts) asking what is their favorite Paramount movie, I have no problem stating that those movies would not enter the discussion.

True. I'm sure I wouldn't agree with their choice though. Most every movie out there that is loved by millions and hailed by critics is a snoozefest to me, lol.

When comparing Paramount to Cedar Fair, I personally prefer Cedar Fair. I'll take better rides, better treatment of current rides, great landscaping, cleanness, and better employees over movie themes. I think that Action Zone has become an eyesore with a large wooden coaster that was an overall bad investment along with a water tower that looks awful and out of place.

In my opinion, the Rivertown area is far from dead. Look at White Water Canyon's exit path for an example. Truly a relaxing place to be. The Beast's area is great and is still quite secluded. Sure, Diamondback may have been a little out of place, but where else would you have put it? At least it's nice to look at, unlike a tan building with an artificial cave sitting in the front of it. Rivertown is my favorite area of the park, and I could spend all day in it and be completely relaxed.

With that being said, I think most of us can agree that Taft was probably the best owner. Just look at the Brady Bunch episode and look at how traditional the park looked. Taft was a company that built the park around family entertainment, but it also introduced The Beast which would bring thrillseekers to the park for decades to come.

I think we could also agree that Linder was the worst of the owners. If I'm correct, most of the flat rides in Coney Mall were removed in those few years.

Good points KIBOB - theme means different things to different people.

And I wasn't comparing Disney to a seasonal park. I was pointing out how Disney delivers great thrills and great theming.

Disney does deliver great theming - not sure I'll buy the great thrills portion

I really really really (fingers crossed, toes crossed) hope that Disney will buy it. I know it might sound silly, but BOY wouldn't it be great for our area's economy to have a Disney hub here. I like a day at Kings Island now, but I love great theming.

Probably will never happen, but a girl can hope.

Paramount made mistakes, yes. But to say they destroyed the theme of Kings Island? Pick your battles, people... Did they corporatize the park? Sure. But when we had rides like Tomb Raider, Flight of Fear, Top Gun (in its early years) even The Italian Job: Stunt Track... Don't even try to tell me the park didn't emphasize theme. Until Diamondback, Rivertown was an absolutely beautiful part of the park, one of the better "Western-y, frontier-y" areas I've seen, with a beautiful "secluded" feel. Though I love Diamondback, you'd be lying if you said that Rivertown is anything more than an open plaza with a little concrete lake in the center. They didn't even bother to replant the trees that they tore out - there's about three dogwood trees around the splashdown, nothing more. So the area will stay that way.

Action Zone sucks, yes. But I actually appreciate the idea behind it. The "movie backlot" theme with the concrete and the bright colors and the targets and the movie posters. Even the "Stunt Crew Grill" is themed to a commissary where we, as the stunt actors, can eat.

Yes, the park lost a lot of its original charm when it was bought by a large corporation. Guess what? That would've happened no matter what. If the park was owned by KECO right up until Cedar Fair bought it in 2006, it would just now start losing that themeing, but it would lose it just the same.

What it comes down to is, without every single owner Kings Island has had, we wouldn't have the park we have today. Maybe for the better, or maybe for the worse, but without Lindler, KECO, Paramount, things just would not be the way they are.

I agree with everything you said. I do like Diamondback, but If it was up to me, it would ever never been built. Rivertown was the part of the park where you would escape the loud noises and crowds. Yes there still is Beast, Tomb Raider, WWC, ect... But think about it. Beast can hardly be seen from the midway and the entrance to it has it's own secluded midway. The only time you can hear Beast is if your in line for it you'll hear it leave the station.

Tomb Raider although didn't match the theme of an Ohio Valley mining town, it was hidden pretty well. Tons of foliage around the entrance, and a cave, both are things that blend in with the area. Yes the tan box could be seen, but not nearly as much as it can be seen today since Diamondback removed alot of trees.

White Water Canyon is like a mile away from the midway (YES I am exaggerating, so don't complain and give me some exact number of feet of how far away it is), so it can't be seen, and even if it was- it fits the theme. Now there is Diamondback. A HUGE red steel coaster with bright yellow supports (the lift hill), it can be seen from anywhere in the park, especially Rivertown. If your by La Rosas, you see the helix and splashdown, and you hear screams from the first drop and the helix/splash down. If your by Crypt than you see a mammoth 215' drop and here screams and that sound that Diamondback makes (sounds like the track is like scraping against other pieces of track). If your by Diamondback's station, it's now all concrete (well brick or whatever it is), and everything is related to Diamondback. It used to be one of the most hidden places in the park full of a few shops and tall trees, now it's probably the most popular spot in the entire park.

Overall, I do love Diamondback but it ruined Rivertown. Of course Paramount did a few bad things, but Cedar Fair bought the park knowing how mad enthusiasts were about doing those things, so why would Cedar Fair do something Paramount would do? The only difference is it's not a themed ride and most enthusiasts aren't upset about it because it's some huge steel coaster. I know if Paramount still owned the park and they tour down Swan Lake and ruined the peaceful atmosphere that Rivertown once had for some mega coaster, you'd be mad.

Mad? No one has a right to be mad at what the park does. Sure I do not like certain things but to say someone get mad over it is just wrong. The entrance of Diamondback is actually on the edge of Rivertown but I do see what you mean by it running thru Rivertown. I will be the first one to say Bring paramount back. Not many people would agree with me. I suppose it does not matter who owns or buys the park there are gonna be things here and there that upset people. When I disagree with something the park is doing I try to remember it is not my park. It belongs to CF. I also remember when we have all the coaster buffs (which I am not) they have the right to want other things than me.

One thing good about DB is you can see it miles away from the park and adds to the skyline of the surrounding area.

Going to KI or any park is like having a drivers license it is a privilege not a right.

*to see friends

*cause i work haunt

*the food

*the shows

Exactly, if you like thrill, go to Kings Island, Cedar Point, etc.

If you want theming go to Universal Studios or Islands of Adventure. Those two parks combined have like four rollercoasters. And, its one of the best parks I've ever been two.

Or, Either Busch Gardens. BGW has the best overall rollercoasters I've ever seen in a park.

Its just two different experiences. It' just your opinion which one you like. If both.