Dorney: $8 Million Planet Snoopy

...Dorney is planning an $8 million top-to-bottom makeover of 10-year-old Camp Snoopy, the 3.5-acre children's area named after the too-cool beagle from Charles Schulz's "Peanuts" comic strip.

Planet Snoopy, as the section would be renamed, would feature six new rides, an amphitheater, souvenir store, "soda pop shop" featuring root beer floats and an inflatable astronaut Snoopy.

"It's almost a park within a park," said Jason McClure, Dorney's vice president and general manager....

Story appears here

Try this:

story appears here

As for your comment, the story ends thusly:

...Jim Weber, acting manager of South Whitehall, said Dorney usually applies at least once a year for updates.

"People get tired of the same old rides," Weber said.

I like Dorney Park. A lot. Nice to see CF paying some attention to it! I just hope they don't turn the very pleasant Camp Snoopy with all of the trees and shade into a concrete jungle.

so if this is a success what are the odds that this would role out company wide over the next ten years? (thats a big if CF still owns 11 parks). I liked this part.

Each is designed for kids and parents to ride together, McClure said.

Not only will the rides change in the kids area in the park's center, so will every detail, McClure said, down to the color of the walkways, shop buildings as well as the type of snacks that will be served. The existing play areas, photo tree, gazebo and other buildings will be demolished, according to the plan.

Parents and kids riding together = awesome. Parents dont have to just wait for the kids at the exit.... and there goes the idea CF doesnt do themed areas...

If they get the kind of remodel that Kings Island and Carowinds got, then Dorney Park and Valleyfair! are in for quite a treat next year. I find myself both happy and sad that Cedar Fair is starting to make this a chain wide thing. Happy, because for one thing it calms my OCD and the Planet Snoopy theming is spectacular, but sad because I hate to see when chains make each park cookie cutter versions of each other.

Note that I haven't been there, but wonder what the driver behind re-theming to Planet Snoopy versus just updating their Camp Snoopy. I've been in a couple of Camp Snoopy's this year (Cedar Point and Knott's Berry Farm) and actually think the Camp Snoopy theme works fine.

Now what happened to the pictures of Snoopy in the canoe cresting the waterfall in both of those Camp Snoopy Areas - I know I took one.

• 2 weeks later...