CBS Early Morning 5 best coasters in US

It means they don't know what they are talking about. Just as when they say Kingda Ka can't run in even a light rain. I can personally testify otherwise. And they don't even have Gary Coleman's ride stat right... Nor the length of Diamondback...two feet short!

Then there is the food typo! Millennium Force is 310 food tall. Who knew?

Let's see if the news business can write one more stupid article. First, Drop"Zone" gets stuck at top. Second, Diamondback is considered a hypercoaster because it has a lift hill rather than a launch.

What's the third one going to be about? ;)

Edit: It also sounds like the writer of the article was very hungry when he wrote it!

Gary's ride stat was probably wrong because he didn't just write the story yesterday.

And it said Diamondback is stadium style seating with an unobstructed view. I dont know about you guys, but most stadiums i have been to have seats behind each other and different heights...

I think that the person who made this list looked at the new rides for 2009 and 2010, as 4 of the 5 on the list were built recently. Then of course they had to add in Kingda Ka. After all, it's the tallest coaster! It must be in the top 5! Also, all the coasters in the top 5 are steel.

No Magnum Xl200, no Beast, no Cyclone, not even Voyage (which all lists seem to include now)...

The sad thing is this. People who know nothing about coasters see programs like this or read the summary and believe what they read...they have no way of knowing otherwise. And if this is that inaccurate, what trust should we put in things they write about/cover that we know nothing about? Why would they be any more accurate?

It is a terrible article. They must had nothing to write about at all! 5 best coasters based on what? One's opinion? Stat's? I think Diamondback is great, no doubt, but one of the 5 best coaster's in the US? Easily one of the best at Kings Island, but I think its a stretch to put it anywhere near a top 5, especially since it's a "B&M hypercoaster" and there are many more out there. And yeah I don't get the "inverting elements" thing either. Diamondback has no inversions.

Its like having someone who knows nothing about computers making a top 5 video cards list!

The sad thing is this. People who know nothing about coasters see programs like this or read the summary and believe what they read...they have no way of knowing otherwise. And if this is that inaccurate, what trust should we put in things they write about/cover that we know nothing about? Why would they be any more accurate?

Yes, it really is sad that people believe whatever they hear. We took a college-day trip at my high school, and a computer animation (or something along those lines) professor showed us the animated video of Diamondback as an example of something that we would be able to do with that sort of education, except he randomly stated a "fact" that Diamondback is the tallest roller coaster in the world. :huh:

Of course I didn't say anything, but I could hardly stop myself from correcting him... There are still a few people at my school who can't wrap their heads around the fact that there could possibly be a roller coaster taller than Diamondback out there somewhere.

- Pillsberry, who has his own reasons for visiting forums with people who actually know what they are talking about, even if I may make a mistake or two here or there. :P

I don't even get Wildebeest, its a fun ride, but top 5 in the US?

What I really don't get about Wildebeest is its a water coaster not a roller coaster. if the article were "top 5 coasters" in the US it would have a place on there (based on ones opinion, not mine, since I haven't rode). But since its top 5 "roller" coasters, where does it fit on a top 5 list? It qualifies about as much as Delerium or Drop Tower would!

Sadly, it seems as though some members of the media do little more than collect and recite press releases from government, political types, organizations promoting a cause, corporations, etc. Thus they act much more like stenographers than journalists. Unfortunately, when the media has to do something creative, the reader winds up getting things like this article.

Just my theory...

Roller Coaster Database does not agree. It lists it as a water coaster and, thus, a coaster.

That same source does not list Haunted House at Camden Park as a coaster, even though that coaster cannot be distinguished from a Wild Mouse or even from Dark Knight at SFGAd, SFMex or SFGAm.

http://www.rcdb.com/4554.htm

Not seeing Widebeest on there. You got a link? I searched "Splashin' Safari" and "Wildebeest" and came up dry on both.