Paramount Parks' observation towers

Derek

I've learned that PGA's (Paramount's Great America) skytower is getting a paint job. And I've also learned that PKD's (Paramount's Kings Dominion) Eiffel Tower is getting painted so what I'm wondering that is PKI Eiffel Tower getting painted?

It seems that PKI doesn't have a budget to paint it's signature landmark, Eiffel Tower or PKI just doesn't care that their Eiffel Tower's color paint is fading, rust on the platforms, few paint peeling off, and lights not working (during the operating season). Is PKI still discussing about what color to paint the Eiffel Tower, I think they should paint it dark green/blue like back in 1972.

Now that PKD Eiffel Tower gets a paint job and it looks like PKI Eiffel Tower isn't. That doesn't make sense 'cause KI's is older than KD's so which one needs a paint job badly, KD's or KI's? I would say KI's because it's older than KD's.

I do think PKI cares about it's attractions and rides. You gotta believe in PKI, and have faith in PKI. I do.

Derek

Just PKI's is older doesn't mean it needs painted more. PKI's Eifel Tower has been repainted a few times since 1972 when the park opened. Don't assume the park doesn't set aside money for painting. They do, just not every year. Paint fades over time and eventually, in the elements, will chip or rust. PKI will paint it when they feel the need... which I believe is soon.

biggrin.gif

Based on the way PKI`s tower looked at the end of this past season, I wouldn`t be surprised if it is painted for the 2005 season. I remember hearing that when they originally painted the tower back when they were building the park, that they had to call in a bee keeper to keep the bees away from the painters because they were attracted to the scent of the paint.

I heard that we were supposed to get a paint job for the tower this year. This might have been pushed back, however. I think it does need a new paint job. The color is actually called "Eifel Tower Green" or "Eifel Tower Blue". You can actually buy that color from one of the suppliers, Oakly Paint and Glass.

So both towers at the park are getting painted at the park over this offseason? I know the colors on Drop Zone were looking a little faded, but I would rather see Face Off be painted first as it has some visible areas of rust and is quite faded as well. But whatever the park does is ok. At least they have been focused on painting a lot of attractions an buildings lately!

Edited by CoasterRZ

Actually, the Eiffel Tower has been quite faded for several seasons now. You can especially notice the rust and fading by taking a ride up in the elevators. From pictures I`ve seen, the Eiffel Tower, when opened featured a color that was much darker and greener than the current teal color.

The tower is still photogentic, so they might wait a while to paint it. You have to realize that painting the tower is a gigantic job which would costs thousands of dollars and take months to do. The light blue does give the illusion that it's supposed to be darker, but it faded, but as long as I can remember, it's been basically the same color. The only way you can really tell that there are rust spots on it is by standing under it, or actually riding it. These things are impossible to get rid of. If they painted it, within weeks rust would begin to show through. That's the thing about a gigantic 300+ tall tower... you can't make every inch of it perfect..

BoddaH1994, as long as I can remember the tower has been its current teal color as well. If they painted the tower, they would apply pimer to the areas that have rust, before they put the finish coat on so that the rust won`t show through. I wonder how long it would take to paint the tower. Would it be able to be comletely painted during the off season? Or would they have to do some work in the post/pre seasons to have it completed?

I'm sure PKI will paint the Eiffel Tower when they see fit in the budget and in the aestetics. I don't even notice the "bad rusting" and "faded paint" that some people say they see. I think that most people don't notice it at all. We are PKI's toughest critics.

As for Drop Zone, I think that it will get painted before the Eiffel Tower. It used to be really bright in color when the ride opened for the first year, but now even I look up to the top and say "someone needs to 'retan' the tower's skin."

I for one think the eiffel tower is in need of some serious painting. How can you not notice the rather large rust spots on it, the chipping paint, and the very faded paint. As far as guest not noticing it, they do, working at PKI this past season I had several guest mention the rust and the poor appearance of the Eiffel Tower, so one can assume many more were walking past it thinking it.

Speaking of the tower in BB, is that tan color the primer or is that going to be the finish color of the tower? In the video they showed in November and the pictures from their website, the tower is painted blue. Thos of us that are going on the tour on Friday might find out. Speaking of the tour, its going to be a bit nippy with a high around 32 on Friday!

Speaking of the tower in BB, is that tan color the primer or is that going to be the finish color of the tower? In the video they showed in November and the pictures from their website, the tower is painted blue. Thos of us that are going on the tour on Friday might find out. Speaking of the tour, its going to be a bit nippy with a high around 32 on Friday!

That can.. and has been discussed... without a definite answer... in a BB thread. By the way.. the pictures on the PKI site and the video Mr. Siebert showed are the same thing. The pictures are just stills from the video or other angles produced from animation.

PKI has repainted Vortex, I think the Effel Tower will get a paint job in a

few years, but not this year.

On the topic of redoing rides, I think we can all agree that Adventure Express

needs some maintenance(theming and paint job) blink.gif

The only thing on Adventure Express that would need painting is the track. I don`t think that the track necessarily needs painting as it is not terribly rusted and it doesn`t matter if its track is faded because it helps fit in with the wood that supports the track. Now if the track looked like one of the holding tracks on Goldrusher at Paramount`s Carowinds, then thney should repaint the track.

Beastfreak, I know that the topic had been discussed before, in a thread about BB. Also, I know that the pictures came from the video they showed last fall. I`m anxiuosly awaiting to see the finished product of all the paint, landscaping and new rides when BB is complete in May of this year! I`m sure it will look awesome.

I would like to see Eiffel Tower get a new coat of paint too. I don't see how someone can pass by and not notice how horrible it looks. But, at least they are taking steps to do the little things that would spruce up the park like painting Vortex, updating the fountains, and, I believe that someone has already stated somewhere on this board that Adventure Express is being worked on. Kudos to PKI. Yes, the main reason I go is to ride the rides, but I am pleased that they are fixing the minor eyesores within the park. Maybe it will get closer to the former glory days before Paramount.

Anyone remember how long it took them to finish Vortex? It was half painted for pretty much the whole 2001 season. Not pretty. I hope that they do the Tower all at once, because nobody wants to see the park's crown jewel sitting there half painted. I figure they can still do DZ this season, because it doesn't have the complex structure and stuff. They repainted one at one of the other Paramount Parks in very little time last year.

Actually it wasn't primed until post season (when park goes back to weekends only) of 2001, so not really half the season. It was fully repainted by time the park went to full season of 2002. It makes it difficult to paint the ride on certain days while the maintenance guys have to do checks and stuff and cycle the ride, so that slows it down. Plus the tower would take forever anyways do to all that metal going every which direction.

Also, will Drop Zone get new colors or will the paint scheme stay the same. I think new colors would be cool, that is why I ask.

Probably the same colors. Those colors look pretty good on that ride. If you dont like it just think of it this way, the green section could still be a fine grey as it was when the ride first opened. tongue.gif