Whither Conneaut Lake Park Now?

While I see the concept of "giving away the gate", and while I wish it would have worked for FMP, the key is to get guests to spend the savings (and hopefully more) in the park.  More often than not, its unfrotunately been proven ineffective, and I dont see it being any different in this case.

Tick tock.

• Like 2

A much, much better article:

http://www.goerie.com/conneaut-lake-park-reorganization-plan-is-work-in-progress

It actually makes sense and says something. The disclosure statement objection was joined by another, from the sewer authority. The lead creditors attorney said this was the park's last shot and that at some point, it may have to wave the white flag. The park is still losing money. Land sales are not going as well as hoped. The Beach Club insurance proceeds issue remains to be decided.

The reorganization plan must be amended in the face of the objections. A draft is expected in about two weeks. Hearing in August or September.

A park with no clear plan has gotten to sneak in another season.

Want to go to Conneaut Lake Park?

Better make it now.

• Like 4

Extremely unlikely but I wonder if a company like Apex, Fun Spot America, Palace Enterainment could turn this place around. Of course, I would be shocked if anyone else would even have interested in saving this park. I personally think CLP appears to have a bad location, no interstate exit if one is even nearby plus I had to look for the lake. Cross-threading here but I wonder if Camden Park would benfit from a closer interstate exit?

• Like 2

From the same source: Bankrupt Conneaut Lake Park starting to make money

http://www.meadvilletribune.com/news/local_news/bankrupt-conneaut-lake-park-starting-to-make-money/article_bbf71e12-4a26-11e6-b690-5b5730f42257.html

Includes revenue figures at the bottom, plus a comparison to the figures from the same period in 2015.

• Like 2

@jcgoble3:

That article you cite is an excellent example of the Meadville Tribune. The park is not starting to make money. Revenue is up, yes. Losses, too. That's like the guy who was losing money on every sale and who cheerfully intended to "make it up on volume."

As long as you are loss-making at the same or higher rate, the more the revenue, the bigger the loss. Also why so many parks like to report EBITDA. There's a reason there are generally accepted accounting principles. In the real world, one typically must pay interest and taxes (witness Conneaut Lake Park) and account for depreciation and amortization.

The end appears to be coming.

I'm not quite certain which is typically more befuddled and more of a cheerleader, The Sandusky Register or The Meadville Tribune.

• Like 4

I can't accurately word my feelings on this place. I went. Paths buckled and cracked from tree roots growing beneath, shanty buildings with collapsing roofs, rusted rides. 

With all due respect for the locals who must have a strong connection to this place (as any of us would), we're not just talking about an uphill battle, y'know? We're talking about a derelict collection of rusted carnival rides set up in a place that obviously has no business being an amusement park. If I walked in and looked around knowing nothing of the behind-the-scenes mess, I would say, "It's over." And that's before factoring in the incredibly complex legal stuff and financial stuff and debt that I'm only aware of because of this website. That's not just a cherry on top, it's a gravestone. It's over.

Could Palace Entertainment come in, buy the place, settle the debt, and begin a makeover for $15 million? Probably. But why, oh why, would they? This park is clearly not meant to survive. It's tragic and sad and heartbreaking for those who grew up with the park, but c'mon. Location, location, location? Just because a park has always been there doesn't mean one will or SHOULD always be there. If it's over, it's over. And man... walking around at Conneaut Lake Park... it's over. 

I'm glad I was told to go by members here; I'm glad I went; I'm surprised that I still have the opportunity to go. I wouldn't have thought it would be open another year longer. 

• Like 8

How in the world did it take so long for them to notice that??

Talk about insult to injury.

I believe it is only open Friday to Sunday. So if it happened on Monday the earliest it would be noticed is Friday.

No security on days the park isn't open? At all?

Houses in the park and no one noticed? Really?

• Like 4

It's definitely an interesting place, especially with the hotel and lake/beach, but there's not a lot there to draw people there from outside the area. It's kind of in the middle of nowhere as well (from I-90 I got routed through various small towns before ending up on the road next to the park, and routed through more small towns to I-79 to get to Erie), which doesn't help. With a ton of work it could possibly be a tourist area again but it seems more like a bunch of rides set up to give people visiting the lake something else to do.

Sent from my LG G5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.facebook.com/newconneautlakepark/posts/1096163863798443

We would like your opinion.

As part of our strategy to expand CLP, and to extend its utilization to year-round, we are considering the future conversion of the Convention Center (40,000 square foot yellow building on Reed Avenue) to a “family fun center”. This facility would operate year-round and in all weather conditions and include electric go-karts, climbing walls, arcade, laser tag and concessions.

If such a facility were developed would you utilize it?

Thanks for your valued input and continued support.

• Like 4