Whither Conneaut Lake Park Now?

More:

http://m.sharonherald.com/news/local_news/conneaut-lake-park-files-for-bankruptcy/article_740311ac-7c3b-11e4-a57b-63da5bffd7d4.html?mode=jqm

The first rational account I've seen post-filing, from a legal standpoint...

Terp, who is not engaged in the private practice of law in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the District of Columbia, or any United State. There is no legal advice meant for a particular client contained herein. Consult a competent attorney in your jurisdiction should you have, or think you may have, a legal problem. Legal outcomes cannot be predicted with certainty. This is a disclaimer.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

And the hits just keep coming.......

The park owes $676,281.38 to its 20 largest creditors, according to an amended accounting filed in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Erie this week. That's up almost $320,375 from an initial accounting filed with the court in December.

http://www.goerie.com/new-debts-added-to-conneaut-lake-parks-top-20#

• Like 2

"Volunteers were selected for their commitment to the park rather than for any business acumen and were overwhelmed year after year," he said.

(Note: "he" is Mark Turner, executive director of a redevelopment committee now managing the park).

So whose idea was it to appoint these volunteers in the first place? Just because you're committed doesn't mean you are capable of running/managing the place. And if they were so overwhelmed, why didn't they speak up and ask for help when problems first arose?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

To take $611,000 off their debt, seems to make sense. I'd rather have the put toward the debt, so the amount owed is much smaller than originally and the park could continue to function.

Get the debt paid off (even if it's not the whole amount right up front), keep the park going and raise funds to bring back the Beach Club.

Sorry for the double post.

I decided today to check out www.newconneautlakepark.com and was greeted with a generic page that gives the email address to the park and a little section that says:

"Look for the NEW Conneaut Lake Park Website at www.newconneautlakepark.com"

Went to check out the new page, www.newconneautlakepark.com, and was greeted with a www.godaddy.com generic page saying I could purchase the page.

Interesting.

• Like 1

It's not officially for sale though. The page simply says they've "parked" the domain, meaning they've linked it to their GoDaddy hosting account but don't actually have a website associated with it. If you click the link to buy it, you get taken to a page for a "domain agent" service - you pay $70 to have them try to negotiate the sale of the domain for you.

• Like 3

Some of the poorest reporting I have ever seen:

http://www.erietvnews.com/story/28104810/bankruptcy-judge-takes-control-of-conneaut-lake-park-insurance-dispute

I THINK this means that the fire insurance settlement now becomes another debtor asset to be parceled out during the bankruptcy. But, if that's the case, what is that mediation to come about? Just the typical one amongst all the creditors and the debtor in an attempt to avoid trial? If so, that reporting sure wouldn't tell the average viewer. Watch the video. Sad. I suspect the reporter didn't really have a clue what's really going on.

VERY poor reporting.

I await more clarity from other media sources.

• Like 1

Sorry for the double post.

I decided today to check out www.newconneautlakepark.com and was greeted with a generic page that gives the email address to the park and a little section that says:

"Look for the NEW Conneaut Lake Park Website at www.newconneautlakepark.com"

Went to check out the new page, www.newconneautlakepark.com, and was greeted with a www.godaddy.com generic page saying I could purchase the page.

Interesting.

The website is now live. It looks quite nice, at least the mobile view.

A few notes (I don't know if information is new, but...)

-Season passes are $50

-All day wrist bands are $10 (I thought this was more two years ago)

-Park is opened Friday-Sunday (I believe this is shorter then years passed)

-Opening day is scheduled for May 22nd (we'll see.)

• Like 2

A couple of notes on the website.

-The mobile and desktop version of the website are the same, there are simply media queries to rearrange things for a smaller screen

-It was designed by an outside company that looks like they have created a number of websites for Cedar Fair

-They used Bootstrap

I still hate the URL change. Everyone who linked to the old Conneaut Lake Park will have to change their website, and (assuming the park makes it), how long can you keep the "New" on a website?

• Like 3

I was looking at an archived version of CLP's website (here), and there are a few differences:

1.) Season passes were $75.00 if purchased in Spring

2.) All day wristbands were $15/$20 (depending if it included Blue Streak and the Train)

3.) They used to be opened on Friday (I think? I'm having a hard time making any sense out of the hours.)

Either way, the new website is a huge change from where they were. Let's hope it wasn't all for nothing.

• Like 1

^ At least they didn't change the website URL promoting the fact that it was "new". (I know it changed from the Six Flag days, but it wasn't thenewkentuckykingdom.com)

Interpreter, I know 4 rides got removed (Music Express, Kiddie Carousel, Witch's Stew, and Toboggan), but am I missing anything else? Only 2 of those rides even operated (well, according to the article. I could have sworn Music Express was running when I visited in 2013).

• Like 1

I have to get there in 2015. There are two rides that I really care about, and they're both still there so far.

Besides, then I can drive to Waldameer and experience an amusement park much more on-par with what I'm used to.

Coincidentally, I have little doubt that the mentality expressed in this post contributes, in some part, to the state of things at Conneaut now...

• Like 2