Whither Conneaut Lake Park Now?

I wanted to go to CLP today mostly to ride the blue streak while the park is still open. Luckily found out it was not running and just went to Waldameer instead. Had a great time riding the Ravine Flyer II got in at least 10 rides. I still want to visit CLP at least once but not sure how much longer it can keep running.

• Like 4

The chances are excellent that a reorganization plan will be approved. It's how undercapitalized the park will be, how much real estate it's likely to lose, the competence (or lack thereof) of its managers and employees, the condition of the physical plant and the goodwill (or lack thereof) the park has built up over many years that concern me.

Judges have performance standards, too. Average age of cases on the docket is one of the metrics. I'm sure the court system would rather be seen as not in charge of finances when this park fails.

• Like 3

I am told it opened at 5 Monday, with a car missing and only six working seats...three cars--six working seats.

The cars are each supposed to have three benches...

Pretty sure they have two sets of trains.  The PTC trains have 3 benches but my understanding is they are running 2 bench trains from NAD for the last few years.

I am told it opened at 5 Monday, with a car missing and only six working seats...three cars--six working seats.

Pretty sure they have two sets of trains. The PTC trains have 3 benches but my understanding is they are running 2 bench trains from NAD for the last few years.
There was a Vettel train--it has fixed lapbars and a wood frame. Neither the state nor the insurance company will permit its use.

There were two NAD Century Flyer trains. Four cars, three bench. NAD Century Flyers were three bench cars.

One of the two was the train lost in the fire.

I know not of any PTC trains at Conneaut Lake Park.

Pretty sure they have two sets of trains. The PTC trains have 3 benches but my understanding is they are running 2 bench trains from NAD for the last few years.
There was a Vettel train--it has fixed lapbars and a wood frame. Neither the state nor the insurance company will permit its use.

There were two NAD Century Flyer trains. Four cars, three bench. NAD Century Flyers were three bench cars.

One of the two was the train lost in the fire.

I know not of any PTC trains at Conneaut Lake Park.

I guess the two bench trains are PTC actually.  If you take a look at picture number six it shows a 2 bench train which is identified as a PTC.  It is possible the park no longer has this train, I personally have no idea.

The website can say whatever they want about those trains. Doesn't change the fact that they are Vettels. See also the Kennywood Jack Rabbit.

As of last year, they were running ONE of the NAD trains, with probably not many more than six working rows, and those that do work have pool noodles instead of proper padding on the restraints.

• Like 2

The website can say whatever they want about those trains. Doesn't change the fact that they are Vettels. See also the Kennywood Jack Rabbit.

As of last year, they were running ONE of the NAD trains, with probably not many more than six working rows, and those that do work have pool noodles instead of proper padding on the restraints.

Very possible that is not something I know a lot about.  I will say they are not identified correctly on most sites then.  RCDB lists them as PTC as well for instance.

• Like 1

Sorry if I came off as rude, it wasn't my intention, though it definitely appears that way. Sorry about that :/

Yeah, those Vettels are really rare, so there's not a lot of information out there about them. To my knowledge (which is certainly not THE definitive source of information), the only set in operation are the ones on the Kennywood Jack Rabbit. There is another Vettel coaster out somewhere in (I believe) Colorado, so maybe it has a set of those trains too.

• Like 1

Sorry if I came off as rude, it wasn't my intention, though it definitely appears that way. Sorry about that :/

Yeah, those Vettels are really rare, so there's not a lot of information out there about them. To my knowledge (which is certainly not THE definitive source of information), the only set in operation are the ones on the Kennywood Jack Rabbit. There is another Vettel coaster out somewhere in (I believe) Colorado, so maybe it has a set of those trains too.

No need to apologize.  I am totally fine with being corrected like that.  I would prefer the correct information be out there then someone taking what I say as 100% correct.  

I was more amazed at how many websites get it wrong but like you pointed out they are extremely rare.

• Like 1

I've been going to Conneaut for over 25 years.

I've gotten to the point where I am 'corrected' so often by those who cite websites, I am just about ready to quit sharing knowledge.

I've ridden all three trains (now two) at Conneaut literally hundreds of times each.

I've sent many corrections to rcdb.

I gave up on them long ago.

I guess my experience counts for little.

Such is life.

The Vettel somewhere in Colorado is the Lakeside Cyclone. I've been there many times, too. The trains there, the owner told me, lovingly made replacements, built in house.

There were also Vettels in Louisiana and Virginia. Sadly, I missed both. Barely.

• Like 3

I'd blame RCDB for so many sites getting it wrong. So many people consider them the definitive source of information on roller coasters that people would rather believe what they say than listen to someone who might know better. For the most part RCDB seems to be pretty reliable, but they're certainly not always correct.

• Like 1

I've been going to Conneaut for over 25 years.

I've gotten to the point where I am 'corrected' so often by those who cite websites, I am just sbout ready to quit sharing knowledge.

I've ridden all three trains (now two) at Conneaut literally hundreds of times each.

I've sent many corrections to rcdb.

I gave up on them long ago.

I guess my experience counts for little.

Such is life.

Hope ya don't do that.

There are some of us (maybe alot) who really look forward and quite appreciate the info you do share with us. I know I do. Look for it almost everyday.

Don't get to discouraged good buddy!

• Like 6

It's frustrating. I get PM's 'correcting' me nearly every time I say something of personal knowledge. "Website, please."

I blame Wikipedia and this generation of teachers. A website trumps personal knowledge.

That's sad.

When I grew up, old people with personal knowledge were primary sources. Primary sources were valued more than secondary sources.

I guess few realize that nowadays a secondary source can be fabricated far easier than ever before.

There's so much baloney on the Internet. And more every day.

I feel sorry for future historians. So much to sort through, so much of it crap.

• Like 11

It's frustrating. I get PM's 'correcting' me nearly every time I say something of personal knowledge. "Website, please."

I blame Wikipedia and this generation of teachers. A website trumps personal knowledge.

That's sad.

When I grew up, old people with personal knowledge were primary sources. Primary sources were valued more than secondary sources.

I guess few realize that nowadays a secondary source can be fabricated far easier than ever before.

There's so much baloney on the Internet. And more every day.

I feel sorry for future historians. So much to sort through, so much of it crap.

And there was no World Wide Web when we was younger. Alot more footwork involved if we wanted to learn something. I'll just say the historians aren't the only ones I feel sorry for.

• Like 2

The proposed Joint Reorganization Plan has been filed. It proposes, among other things, that the park begin paying off its non-tax debt at the end of April of next year, in $30,000 quarterly installments, at six percent interest. This from a park that has lost more than a million dollars since December 2014.

In the event it misses a payment, the Hotel Conneaut could be sold.

The tax debt is to be paid by land sales (and any Beach Club insurance proceeds the park can get its hands on). If the land sales are insufficient for this purpose...the Hotel Conneaut could be sold.

This plan, if approved by the Court, in my opinion, leaves the park insufficiently capitalized and only delays the eventual liquidation of the park. It seems to greatly prefer the tax creditors to the non-tax secured creditors, but that's pretty much reality anyway.

Next? An opportunity for objections to be raised, potentially a hearing, and an end. But what end?

Oh, yeah, the plan proposed the park be able to borrow $25,000 more to be able to open this year. Yes, the plan proposed yesterday. Yes, the park opened last weekend. Yes, my head hurts.

• Like 7

Splash City Water Park - Change In Hours Of Operation

As we renovate the Splash City water park in phases over this summer, we are experiencing limited use of the Lazy River (only water park component currently in operation) on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Until further notice we have decided to change the hours of operations for Splash City to those of the amusement park: Fridays 12-8pm., Saturdays 12-10pm., Sundays 12-8pm. and holiday Mondays 12-6pm.

We are working hard to recommission the Kiddie pool and Cliffhanger Falls water slides later this summer and as we do will consider expanding hours to accommodate what we hope will be increased utilization.

From park Facebook Page

• Like 1

Wait....they are actually employing folks this year? The employees aren't actually volunteers?

*I had heard at one point they were all volunteers at some point.....not sure if that's true or if it is, when they moved away from that.*

I know at one point they were asking for volunteers to do landscaping, painting, and park clean up. I don't think they were there when the park was open though.

• Like 1