Whither Conneaut Lake Park Now?

I don't see how the park could possibly make a comeback.  I loved the park as a kid, particularly Witches' Stew (I'm not sure what happened to it.)

But what's the big draw to bring people in? Other than those of us who like it for historic value/nostalgia? Can they possibly bring in enough revenue to pay the debt and the property taxes?

How could reopening for another season do anything but dig a deeper financial hole?

(For the record: I'd love to see them succeed. Any park closing down is sad.)

• Like 4

^ One of my absolute FAVORITES. Very unique in that it has a small, family park feel with lots of trees and a wonderful atmosphere, but their owner is still always looking for ways to improve and add new ride experiences without turning it into a concrete slab.

Waldameer is probably Conneaut Lake Park's main competitor. They both cater to a similar demographic of families rather than super-thrill-seekers.

• Like 4

I love Waldameer as well.  This is the first year I probably will not be going in some time.  Aside from attempting to slash the amount of money I spend on amusement parks every year, it's kind of bitter-sweet when I go there.  I had great times with my kids there when they were younger and my (ahem) ex-girl friend at the time. I will miss 2 of my fav rides, Ravine Flyer 2 and Wacky Shack, but I think I'm going to go to Camden Park and try to go to Carowinds for some new experiences. It will be mostly a CP and KI season with a trip to Indiana Beach in July.  Wasn't planning on IB, but my buddy bought a season pass and has free bring a friend tickets.  Didn't get to ride Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain anyway last time I was there, so hopefully it will be running!!

• Like 4

I loved the park as a kid, particularly Witches' Stew (I'm not sure what happened to it.)

According to an article, it was, as well as three other rides, listed for sale to help cover the cost of the rides that Conneaut had yet to pay in full. I guess repossessed is the right word.

• Like 2

That was the creditors' lawyer...

Remember, his goal is to get as much money as possible for the creditors. One of the goals of a reorganization is to get more money for the creditors than would a liquidation.

The Trustees of the Park now have til Tuesday to show that opening the park would help achieve that and is even possible....

• Like 3

Yes, this was written before last Tuesday's court action, but it adds rich detail:

http://www.goerie.com/conneaut-lake-park-bankruptcy-case-to-resume-tuesday

Last Tuesday, the Park Trustees were asking to delay their financing plan until June 30. The creditors opposed any extension. The Judge gave them an extension. A week.

I was wondering that too. It's like using one credit are to pay another credit card. You are still in debt and the money has to be raised somehow to pay it all off. How is that going to happen? And how did they get a loan with the amount of outstanding debt? I get that business loans are different from personal loans. However it still doesn't make sense to me.

• Like 3

Certainly not looking good for the park, and this loan thing still sounds absolutely ridiculous. The "economic development" loans are typically aimed at small businesses looking to start a new venture in the area - not for an amusement park millions of dollars in debt with creditors who are getting fed up with not getting paid. The fact that half of it is coming from the very company managing the park isn't saying a lot either. And planning to use it to cover costs related to selling something they don't even know if they can sell yet? That seems rather risky.

• Like 2

The motion hearings are tomorrow.

Even IF the Park Trustees were allowed to borrow 300,000 MORE dollars to open this season, do you really want to ride rides in a park that only began on May 11 to prepare to open for the season? Off season maintenance typically takes months, not days.

Then there's the Hotel Conneaut, whose lease the same Trustees who are begging the Bankruptcy Judge for mercy...revoked.

A mess.

A sad, sad mess.

• Like 1