Griffon Riders Hurt at BGW

I was there when this occurred. It was a very sudden darkening of the sky and large gusts of wind. I do not know how the riders were 'hurt' since it occured on the second hill, which is the MCBR. The train seemed to be stopped on the mid-course breaks. No one had be unloaded from an awkward position or anything. It was probably just scary and traumatizing for those who were riding for the first time.

I don't really get how five were sent to the medical hospital. It said it came to a stop, but did not specify the time they were up there. If it was only for a little bit, the only things I can think of is hypothermia while sitting on the train, but you would think they would evacuate them quicker than that.

I don't really get how five were sent to the medical hospital. It said it came to a stop, but did not specify the time they were up there. If it was only for a little bit, the only things I can think of is hypothermia while sitting on the train, but you would think they would evacuate them quicker than that.

Plus, I was in the park, outdoors for the duration of the storm. Lots of wind, a little rain, lightning and thunder. It was still in the 80s.

I thought the ballon ran into the train.

No. It was blown onto the track, and held there by the wind, flapping against the track. So, the train was stopped before the drop (on the MCBR) since it was unclear what would happen if it tried to run over the obstruction.

Right. And keep in mind, Griffon is floorless - evacuating cannot be easy.

As you stated, the ride was stopped in the midcourse brake. Evacuating is actually quite simple from that position, since they store the moveable floor segments there. According to this article the incident happened around 7:30PM and by 7:48PM all riders were already evacuated. Definitely a completely random and freak accident, of course it had to be here at the Park where Fabio was goosed :-)

- Todd

Which I remember like it was yesterday...

Though it was more than 11 years ago.

Terp, where does the time go?

NO kidding, Terp. I actually found that newspaper clipping that had the picture of myself, you and Steve on Apollo that weekend. We've definitely seen our share of mishaps, mayhem and crazyness over the years :-)

- Todd